By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Chart-Track: MGS4 had "minimal" impact on UK PS3 sales

This article from the PS blog helps explain the US bundles

Around the Network

Here is the coloured Japanese PS3 bundle

There is a European bundle according to this, but I have not seen it in the UK

Legend11 said:

The Wal-Mart deal must account for a lot of the success in North America otherwise it doesn't make sense since both markets are so similar.

They are not similar and you could have seen this coming from a mile away but I'm still going to repeat myself.

MGS4 bundle in Others is no better than GTA4 bundle so there was no reason for people to wait for it.

If you look at Others sales data for the last 3 months they have been averaging 118k/week compared to 85k/week before that period. So there has been a huge prolonged hardware spike there that started with the release of GT5P.

NA is very different.

There was no GTA4 bundle in NA.

MGS4 bundle marks the reintroduction of the 80Gb backware compatible.

The NA bundle includes a dual shock and is actually a very good deal financially.

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

SamuelRSmith said:

@bardicverse: Just checked Wikipedia:

The Treaty of Union, agreed on July 22nd, 1706,[12] and put into effect by the Acts of Union passed by the Parliaments of England and Scotland in 1707, created a political union in the form of a united Kingdom of Great Britain.[13] Almost a century later, the Act of Union 1800 united the Kingdom of Ireland with the Kingdom of Great Britain.[14] Prior to 1707, England and Scotland had existed as separate sovereign and independent states with their own monarchs and political structures from the 9th century. Though the Scottish King, James VI, became King of England as well in 1603, creating a personal union between the kingdoms, the countries had remained separate. On the other hand, the once independent Principality of Wales had fallen under the control of English monarchs from the Statute of Rhuddlan in 1284 and thereafter annexed to England under the Laws in Wales Acts of 1535 and 1542. Ireland had also been brought under English control between 1541 and 1691, but only joined to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland in 1801.

Right, that was the full of Ireland. North Ireland, as we know it today, didn't exist until the loyalists refused to be part of an independent Ireland in the 1920s. What I was saying was that Northern Ireland, as a territory, didn't exist prior to that - the whole island of Ireland was one property of Britain prior to that time. King James was actually executed by the English for rebelling against the English. Oliver Cromwell came along in the 1650s like a madman into Ireland. They say his bloodshed was pretty much a genocide that was only trumped by Hitler. Read up on him in sources not editable. If you're interested in that history, check out "To Hell or Barbados". First half of the book talks about Cromwell's reign over Ireland and England as "Lord Protector" - lots of stuff edited out of the history books for political reasons (aka historical coverups)

Around the Network

@bardicverse. Thanks, I will check up on it.

Still. I strongly believe that somethings wrong with "Others" numbers. MGS4 Made a decent 122.000 debut in UK when GT5P did 120.000. Yet, GT is a far far more mainstream and casual title, and it did 370.000 in Others (first week) And it had a significant impact on HW sales (140.000 if Im not mistaken). Now, VGchartz, says that the 122.000 in UK corresponds to 430.000 (almost 60.000 more than GT's first week) without an important HW boost in UK and a smaller boost in the rest of the region.
Can someone explain? I just don't believe these numbers. Excuse me...

Again, the major increase in sales will be in America, where the lack of any game bundled with a PlayStation 3 console, and the lack of an 80 gig console will raise sales significantly. Many people in Europe/others have already upgraded their consoles when they bought either GT5: P or GTA IV.

This is very strange,

Doesnt MGS sell best in OTHERS? Its like they completely rejected it(and yes there are commercials for MGS4, LBP, and GT5 P in the US I saw them yesterday).

mM

Not a good sign at all. I really do not see anything else for the rest of the year that could give it a decent bump in the hardware department as far as software goes either.