By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Chart-Track: MGS4 had "minimal" impact on UK PS3 sales

kingofwale said:
It's kinda sad how gamers are right now..

a true AAA title makes minimal impact.

while releasing a few colours makes MAJOR impact?

I don't think it's sad that a AAA title has a small impact in hardware sales... It just means that most people who were interested in the game had already bought a console for it. The rest of the people who might be interested, will buy the game at a slower pace (giving it some legs), and may wait for further console drops before buying it.

What's sad is when a good game sells below expectations in terms of software.

The only people who have a reason to be sad are the ones who expected MGS4 to be the catalyst of PS2's userbase massively moving to the PS3 in a week or a month. That's not going to happen, for several reasons which are ignored by people with naive views of the games market.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
kingofwale said:

I don't think it's sad that a AAA title has a small impact in hardware sales... It just means that most people who were interested in the game had already bought a console for it. The rest of the people who might be interested, will buy the game at a slower pace (giving it some legs), and may wait for further console drops before buying it.

funny, I could've sworn I had second part to that? Did I just get cherry-picked? DAMNIT!

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
NJ5 said:
kingofwale said:

The only people who have a reason to be sad are the ones who expected MGS4 to be the catalyst of PS2's userbase massively moving to the PS3 in a week or a month. That's not going to happen, for several reasons which are ignored by people with naive views of the games market.

You mean like 99% of the Sony fans on this site.

kingofwale said:
NJ5 said:
kingofwale said:

funny, I could've sworn I had second part to that? Did I just get cherry-picked? DAMNIT!

What's surprising about colors having an impact in hardware sales? Colors are something about the hardware directly. Some people are very focused on style, therefore they'll use the launch of new colours as an opportunity to sell their console as used, and getting the color they wanted.

What's sad about that, if you agree with what I said about hardware sales before?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

SamuelRSmith said:
@eliasg, although you are correct. This article was talking about the whole of the UK, not just Great Britain. ;) (sorry, one of my pet peeves)

Wait, Im confused. I always thought that Great Britain and the UK were one and the same? Or is Great Britain the mainland, and the UK the addition of Northern Ireland? Being honest, don't tear me a new one ;)

Around the Network

Tbh, there is officially a bundle released in Europe, but where I live you can hardly find it in stores. It should arrive this week.

Slimebeast said: 

You mean like 99% of the Sony fans on this site.

really? 99%? i see you like to generalise all the sony fans on this site. just because a select few idiot sony fans on this site expected it, doesn't mean virtually all of them did.

@DOATS1 - Incorrect, we are not similar when it comes to comedy. Aside from Simpsons, and a couple of other shows, we don't share the same passion for the drivel that American's call "comedy".

@Munkeh111 - Lets face it, the MGS4 bundle was one of the smaller factors being the NA boost. The Wal*Mart deal and reintroduction of 80gb had more to do with the boost.

Right, I'll try and put down all of the bundles:

In Japan:

- Konami special gun metal grey DS3 40gb for Jap comes with LE of MGS4
- Sony standard MGS4 bundle. DS3 black 40gb comes with standard edition.

In Europe:

- Sony 40gb bundle. Comes with Sixaxis and standard edition MGS4. Exclusive to Play in UK.
- (I think) Konami special 40gb gun metal grey with sixaxis and LE.

In NA:

- Sony 40gb bundle with DS3 and standard edition.
- Sony 80gb bundle with DS3 and standard edition.
- Konami special edition 80gb gun metal grey with LE and DS3

I think that was it, I am most probably wrong, though.

We have a 40GB with a sixaxis + MGS4 bundle for 450€ (nearly 700$) in France.

Sure it won't sell much...

The PS3 hardware sales boost we have doesn't look so bad when you know that.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts

DOATS1

Sorry. But dont be so sensitive.