By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Latest firmware update kills Wii Freeloader

shams said:

As they move more into online gaming, its going to be critical for them to ensure no warez software runs on Wii units.

I hope they crush piracy 100% - forever - and maybe games will come down in price even further.

Ideally, yes.

Realistically, not a chance in hell.

Just so we're on the same page shams, you do realize that "warez" software has been running on the Wii since launch and no firmware update has thwarted that for more than a few hours?

@Words of Wisdom: Well there's a new one. You can now act "unethical" by playing legitimate software on console you paid good money for. Am I to assume that letting friends borrow games is also unethical?

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network

WTF@shams and Wow X_X...

Damnit, I just wanted to use a FreeLoader to play imported Japanese games. I still want to play/own that fourth Naruto fighting game for the GCN

tabsina said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

This is like someone stealing cookies from a cookie factory and then getting mad when they lock the doors.

Seriously, just buy the games for your area.

How is that at all a meaningful analogy.. one that makes sense would be:

This is like someone buying cookies from a cookie factory, rather than waiting 6 months for it to finally get to the cookie store for double the price.

That said.. i knew this would happen at some point in the near future, and i bought the freeloader knowing that,  now i'll have to sell brawl and start it again with the pal version.. that is, when a good update for wii actually comes along

er, there are all sorts of different licensing and rating and distribution fees paid to sell games in certain regions. If you buy your game in America you are not paying Nintendo for the fees they had to pay to release the game in YOUR region. It is stealing and it is piracy. You just are causing the harm on the back end of the chain and not the front.

The reason its double the price is because none of you wankers are buying the game in your region and compensating Nintendo for all the fees they are dumping into your region to release it there. Well that and the dollar is in the shitter.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

|_emmiwinks said:
tabsina said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

This is like someone stealing cookies from a cookie factory and then getting mad when they lock the doors.

This is like someone buying cookies from a cookie factory, rather than waiting 6 months for it to finally get to the cookie store for double the price.

That said.. i knew this would happen at some point in the near future, and i bought the freeloader knowing that,  now i'll have to sell brawl and start it again with the pal version.. that is, when a good update for wii actually comes along

er, there are all sorts of different licensing and rating and distribution fees paid to sell games in certain regions. If you buy your game in America you are not paying Nintendo for the fees they had to pay to release the game in YOUR region. It is stealing and it is piracy. You just are causing the harm on the back end of the chain and not the front.

2)The reason its double the price is because none of you wankers are buying the game in your region and compensating Nintendo for all the fees they are dumping into your region to release it there. Well that and the dollar is in the shitter.

1)But we paid Nintendo for the fee they had to pay to release it in America so in the end it is the same...

2) Looolz..  Makes no sense,  if they really want that we bought it over here then they should have released it around the same period...

Around the Network
|_emmiwinks said:
tabsina said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

The reason its double the price is because none of you wankers are buying the game in your region and compensating Nintendo for all the fees they are dumping into your region to release it there. Well that and the dollar is in the shitter.

Well here's an idea, sell the game at a similar price and at the same time here and maybe people will be more inclined to buy more games! This has to be the stupidest argument ever, "not enough people are buying our games, I know, let's make them more expensive! They'll be sure to buy it now!"

I recommend you get a dictionary and look up "piracy" and "stealing". The read the law books. By the way, region locking was found to be anti-consumer by the ACCC here in Australia, and modifying hardware to be region free is perfectly legal.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!