By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Myth of Metal Gear Solid 4 being too much for xbox 360 to handle...

Pk9394 said:
Ylisen said:

I haven't played the game, but I'm a PS3 developer, working as a tech programmer. First of all there will most likely never will be a 360 version from a financial point of view. They would have to rewrite the entire engine for that. It's one thing when you program for multi platform from the beginning and a total other when you write your entire game targeted at a specific platform ( which MGS4 is ). I don't know what kind poly count your typical MGS4 scene has, but the PS3 have a theoretical peak which is beyond the 360s reach. This is because you can off load a lot of the heavy stuff on the SPUs for the PS3, which isn't possible on the 360. You can have a lot better occlusion culling which leads to better visuals.

Another area which I think the 360 will have a hard time to match is the animations, if you take a look at for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CVjsBjNi-s from Heavenly Sword you will see that the faces are very articulate. This is because they have a shitload of bones simulating the muscles in the face, this is one of the areas where the PS3 will out shine the 360 by a very very large margin, because this can also be entirely done on the SPUs very effeciently.

MGS4 uses an entire double layered Blu Ray disc as already mentioned, apart from graphical assets which can't be compressed lossless, I'd guess that the there's A LOT of gigs with sound. Sound can be compressed pretty decently without the average joe being able to hear a difference, if you gave up some sound quality you could probably get down to lets say ~30 - ~40 gigs, which is still a bit out of reach for DVD.

I"m not a programmer but reading your statement came to a conclusions: A - either you a poor programmer or B you are full of it.

financial point of view??? its called convert the code to work on xbox and if it can sell a few million on 360 thats some huge profit.

face expression?? you know you can still make the game without it??? just dont look as good but your still able to create the same god damn game!!

Just add the god damn discs, but it still able to create the same game with multiple discs.

Done talking?*give you toilet paper*
i'm a programmer too, and if you really think porting is that simple, you don’t know what you are saying. i program on Intel 32 bit processors and others and they all work differently( wiki instruction set, data sheet, assembler, etc and you’ll see what I mean), if you want to optimize you need custom methods for each type of processor.

Around the Network

If Konami WANTS to do it, then can/will. They might have to make a few sacrifices, but I don't know why people pretend that any game can never be ported to a system of comparable power. "Impossible" and "really close to the original" ports have been happening for a loooong time

Cremator said:
So if this is the PS3 max potential as per Leo-j I expect 360 to be better then once GeOW 2 comes out

I don't see how much better Gears of War 2 can be, since it still uses the same Unreal 3 Engine. Better storyline? Possibly. Better weapons? Sure. Better effects? Maybe. Better graphics? Eh...TBD.

tybalt said:
Cremator said:
So if this is the PS3 max potential as per Leo-j I expect 360 to be better then once GeOW 2 comes out

I don't see how much better Gears of War 2 can be, since it still uses the same Unreal 3 Engine. Better storyline? Possibly. Better weapons? Sure. Better effects? Maybe. Better graphics? Eh...TBD.

BTW, I was comparing Gears of War 2 with the first one (not MGS4) in my last comment. There's not much news about Gears of War 2 to warrant an expectation that it will be better than MGS4, so why bother making comparisons I say.

Cremator were in the world did you get that this was the PS3's max?

Killzone 2 looks significantly better than MGS4 or GEARS 2.

mM
Around the Network

if it was ported it would i now way be the same game, theres simply to much content in mgs4, i cant wait for E3 to see what games sony has planned for fall release

imo ps3 is gearing up to have a better library of games than 360 when it goes into its 3rd year

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

siriguillo said:
Pk9394 said:
Ylisen said:

I haven't played the game, but I'm a PS3 developer, working as a tech programmer. First of all there will most likely never will be a 360 version from a financial point of view. They would have to rewrite the entire engine for that. It's one thing when you program for multi platform from the beginning and a total other when you write your entire game targeted at a specific platform ( which MGS4 is ). I don't know what kind poly count your typical MGS4 scene has, but the PS3 have a theoretical peak which is beyond the 360s reach. This is because you can off load a lot of the heavy stuff on the SPUs for the PS3, which isn't possible on the 360. You can have a lot better occlusion culling which leads to better visuals.

Another area which I think the 360 will have a hard time to match is the animations, if you take a look at for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CVjsBjNi-s from Heavenly Sword you will see that the faces are very articulate. This is because they have a shitload of bones simulating the muscles in the face, this is one of the areas where the PS3 will out shine the 360 by a very very large margin, because this can also be entirely done on the SPUs very effeciently.

MGS4 uses an entire double layered Blu Ray disc as already mentioned, apart from graphical assets which can't be compressed lossless, I'd guess that the there's A LOT of gigs with sound. Sound can be compressed pretty decently without the average joe being able to hear a difference, if you gave up some sound quality you could probably get down to lets say ~30 - ~40 gigs, which is still a bit out of reach for DVD.

I"m not a programmer but reading your statement came to a conclusions: A - either you a poor programmer or B you are full of it.

financial point of view??? its called convert the code to work on xbox and if it can sell a few million on 360 thats some huge profit.

face expression?? you know you can still make the game without it??? just dont look as good but your still able to create the same god damn game!!

Just add the god damn discs, but it still able to create the same game with multiple discs.

Done talking?*give you toilet paper*
i'm a programmer too, and if you really think porting is that simple, you don’t know what you are saying. i program on Intel 32 bit processors and others and they all work differently( wiki instruction set, data sheet, assembler, etc and you’ll see what I mean), if you want to optimize you need custom methods for each type of processor.

I never say it simple to port but if we do know porting does not require  same cost from building the game from scratch and for a huge game like MGS4 it have the potential to sell a few more millions on the xbox, that is some huge profit konami can made from porting it to xbox360. You do realize there is a difference between difficult and impossible???  many multiplatform developer have already say its easy to port code from ps3 to xbox360 than the other way around.

It can be ported.

Anyone here claiming it can't is just assuming, or relaying false information, and has no real technical knowledge to back up their claim.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Interestingly enough, PS3 can run Crysis at Very High settings 1080p 60fps, yet 360 can't run MGS4... hmmm...

How can you get PS3 to run Crysis?