By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Myth of Metal Gear Solid 4 being too much for xbox 360 to handle...

Viper1 said:
It can be ported.

Anyone here claiming it can't is just assuming, or relaying false information, and has no real technical knowledge to back up their claim.

You cant assume it can run on the XBOX 360 either.

I have yet to see a 360 game that passes UNCHARTED with graphics, and MGS4 looks better than UNCHARTED almost significantly.

Also the best looking XBOX 360 game is GEARS OF WAR which happens to run at 30fps, MGS4 runs at 60fps and looks better than GEARS.

mM
Around the Network

its definitly possible.
THose who say it is not are mostly delusional. Its very possible. However, a port would most likely result in something not being as good as the ps3 version.

THe graphics are by far the best ive seen this gen, but they are not loads above gears of war. Gears of war two should look pretty danm good and almost as good.

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

leo-j said:
Viper1 said:
It can be ported.

Anyone here claiming it can't is just assuming, or relaying false information, and has no real technical knowledge to back up their claim.

I have yet to see a 360 game that passes UNCHARTED with graphics, and MGS4 looks better than UNCHARTED almost significantly.

Also the best looking XBOX 360 game is GEARS OF WAR which happens to run at 30fps, MGS4 runs at 60fps and looks better than GEARS.

Just wait an see when Gears 2 comes out. I predict it will be the best looking game of this gen when it is released.

Gamer4life said:
leo-j said:
Viper1 said:
It can be ported.

Just wait an see when Gears 2 comes out. I predict it will be the best looking game of this gen when it is released.

With the good OLD unreal engine? Make a more reasonable arguement

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
Gamer4life said:
leo-j said:
Viper1 said:
It can be ported.

With the good OLD unreal engine? Make a more reasonable arguement

updated though. The comparision video GT did was really impressive. Theres definitly a difference in graphics. And the game is not released yet

Owner of all consoles cept DS.....Currently in love with prototype!

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Viper1 said:
It can be ported.

I'm sorry Leo-J but you are basing your doubts on the graphics which are not even close to being an issue when it comes to replicating MGS4 on X360.

Leo, drop the subject.  You don't have any technical knowledge on the subject and it's making you look very ignorant.  

However, what you might want to consider is how "exact" the replication would be.   That would be something you could focus on.   I'll sum up.  It's not a matter of whether MGS4 cold be done on X360 but a matter of how perfect would the transition be.  Would some audio quality need to be sacrificed?  Would a high ratio of texutre compression be required?  How many discs would be required?  Etc...

It could be done, just not with the exact same audio bit rate, uncompressed textures and on a single disc.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Pk9394 said:
siriguillo said:
Pk9394 said:
Ylisen said:

I haven't played the game, but I'm a PS3 developer, working as a tech programmer. First of all there will most likely never will be a 360 version from a financial point of view. They would have to rewrite the entire engine for that. It's one thing when you program for multi platform from the beginning and a total other when you write your entire game targeted at a specific platform ( which MGS4 is ). I don't know what kind poly count your typical MGS4 scene has, but the PS3 have a theoretical peak which is beyond the 360s reach. This is because you can off load a lot of the heavy stuff on the SPUs for the PS3, which isn't possible on the 360. You can have a lot better occlusion culling which leads to better visuals.

Another area which I think the 360 will have a hard time to match is the animations, if you take a look at for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CVjsBjNi-s from Heavenly Sword you will see that the faces are very articulate. This is because they have a shitload of bones simulating the muscles in the face, this is one of the areas where the PS3 will out shine the 360 by a very very large margin, because this can also be entirely done on the SPUs very effeciently.

MGS4 uses an entire double layered Blu Ray disc as already mentioned, apart from graphical assets which can't be compressed lossless, I'd guess that the there's A LOT of gigs with sound. Sound can be compressed pretty decently without the average joe being able to hear a difference, if you gave up some sound quality you could probably get down to lets say ~30 - ~40 gigs, which is still a bit out of reach for DVD.

I"m not a programmer but reading your statement came to a conclusions: A - either you a poor programmer or B you are full of it.

financial point of view??? its called convert the code to work on xbox and if it can sell a few million on 360 thats some huge profit.

face expression?? you know you can still make the game without it??? just dont look as good but your still able to create the same god damn game!!

Just add the god damn discs, but it still able to create the same game with multiple discs.

Done talking?*give you toilet paper*
i'm a programmer too, and if you really think porting is that simple, you don’t know what you are saying. i program on Intel 32 bit processors and others and they all work differently( wiki instruction set, data sheet, assembler, etc and you’ll see what I mean), if you want to optimize you need custom methods for each type of processor.

I never say it simple to port but if we do know porting does not require same cost from building the game from scratch and for a huge game like MGS4 it have the potential to sell a few more millions on the xbox, that is some huge profit konami can made from porting it to xbox360. You do realize there is a difference between difficult and impossible??? many multiplatform developer have already say its easy to port code from ps3 to xbox360 than the other way around.

As I said, it's one thing if you have multi platform in mind from the beginning, and a whole other if you target the PS3 only. Yes it's not impossible, it's just very hard, expensive, time consuming and compromising. Lets for arguments sake say that MGS4 pushes ~200 million polys / sec, what do you do when it turns out you can't do that on the 360? You will have to tune all the art assets in the entire game, that's a huge cost and time sink. What do you do if your AI relies on the power of the SPUs? You will simply have to scrap it. You must understand that all these things is what creates the game. When hideo kojima and mates sits down and design the game, they will make design decisions based on what's possible and what's not. I'm no 360 developer, but there would be the same problems if you did it the other way around.

Also, unless you're a programmer with experience from building a large scale system you will never understand the implications of doing the drastic changes which such a port would be. There's a reason for why Epic rewrote the entire unreal engine for the PS3, it's simply cheaper.

You guys, ever thought about the consoles graphics card? An xbox360 and PS3 both use a graphics card you know? It's like comparing a mediocre computer to a high end computer. MGS4 can only be played on the PS3 but on the PC too if Kojima wants to port it over. But they wouldn't because they need you to feel the game and made the game feel like a movie on your screen.
You guys should check the games requirements of other techs. besides memory and compression bs. Like does the consoles CPU, Graphics Card, Power Supply, etc. Can handle the game? These consoles are like computers without the browsers and apps.

disolitude said:
kingofwale said:
Great idea, 3 DVDs while you watch all cut-scenes in 480P.

Heck, why not also port it to Wii while we are at it?

Do some research on these codecs used and the quality they produce compared to their size and audio quality.

You ever read a comment and wonder if the person saying it is heading for a ban?  In that case, the poster you commented on did get banned.  Go figure.  I like to play the game of seeing if the comment in quest is what got them banned.

Duplicate post.  Please ignore.