By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII Is Going To Be Amazing!

What people aren't understanding is that games in certain scenarios can break traditional tie ratios. Look at Halo 2 on the Xbox. Why does it have such a fantastic tie ratio? Mainly due to it being the largest series on that platform, and really the only hyped and well marketed one on there, aside from the traditional ones that are popular on PS2 of the time.

Now look at FF13 and many of the markets PS3 is in. There aren't to many large games that are exclusive that really can compete with it. Not to mention not a hell of a lot of exclusive games. Thus it makes the tie ratio larger for the title giving it a chance to sell around 7 and 8 million. Possibly higher.

The rule of tie ratios really only seem to work on consoles that are having traditional sales with a decent amount of games, consoles like PS2 and now Wii. Otherwise all deals are off on consoles that aren't selling extraordinarily well but still has a good amount of gamers buying, consoles such as GC, Xbox, and now PS3 and 360.

Around the Network

@burshe

for Gods sake PS2 didn't always have a 120 million install base

when FF10 launched PS2 userbase was at 10 MILLION

FF10 sold 8 million....so at most PS2 userbase was at 25 million by the time it stopped selling

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

starcraft said:
I think it will sell 6.5 million copies max and 4.5 million minimum.

Although it won't sell as much, I think Versus will be better.

lol sure keep up with ur predictions.

mM

Both FF13 looks to have the high tech future crap setting.

FF13 looks worse cause it has a chick doing karate kicks all over the place.

Geez... JRPGs are truly dumb, at least FF is.

I predict 7 million for FF13, and 3 milion plus a X360-version for Versus.

Bursche said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@rOadkillers

that has been my prediction since the Extended FF13 trailer was shown....for proof search for that thread that was made 6 months ago

@Bursche

well you doubt wrong then

1)Really? So you think that FF13 will sell MORE than FF10? Just a reminder, FF10 was on the PS2's massive install base.

2)As well, Final Fantasy has been consistently selling less and less. FF12 only sold 5 million or so.

Now I can see FF13 being very successful saleswise seeing as it is both the first Next gen final fantasy which makes it sell more. It having two versions is semi-good too as some will buy both versions, but I doubt if it sells more than 7 million lifetime.

1)GT4 Was on a larger userbase but sold less than GT3

MGS3 was on a larger userbase but sold less than MGS2.

2) You are right about that but that was also like that on PS One.  FFVII sold more than FFVIII and FFIX.

If FFX sold less than than FFIX you would be totalty right about consistently selling less but it didn't...It sold more than FFIX and also more than FFVIII not more as FFVII but we all know how epic FFVII was;..

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Both FF13 looks to have the high tech future crap setting.

FF13 looks worse cause it has a chick doing karate kicks all over the place.

Geez... JRPGs are truly dumb, at least FF is.

I predict 7 million for FF13, and 3 milion plus a X360-version for Versus.

If they make a xbox 360 version I'd probably cry

You can't help but root for the underdog, GO PS3!

End of 08' Sales

Wii:                      39.56

Xbox 360:           24.75

Playstation 3:     20.58

What a down right lie! It's not going to be amazing! It's going to be a masterpiece!

A masterpiece, we barely see something from it......

True it is a small chance it will turn out to be bad but can't ya wait before making conclusions;.

Soriku said:
It looks nice though I'd appreciate it more if it had more fantasy in it like FF IX/VI/IV/etc. I think Versus will be the better game.

Also, if you're predicting 10 mil SW then you're crazy. FF VII sold near 10 mil because it had HUGE hype and marketing (it was everywhere. Toys, food, non-gaming mags, etc.). FF XIII will be big on its own, but 10 mil isn't happening especially since the FF series sales has been declining...

The reason(s) why FFXII didn't do even better was for a number of reasons:

1.The game took several months after its Japanese release which lowered it's hype slightly

2.It was released in America a week before Gears of War

3.It was released when the PS3 and the Wii were about to come out

4.The game was very controversial upon its Japanese release which kind of made some people lose hope for it

5.FFXII is great but FFX was the better game in the end 

darthdevidem01 said:
@burshe

for Gods sake PS2 didn't always have a 120 million install base

when FF10 launched PS2 userbase was at 10 MILLION

FF10 sold 8 million....so at most PS2 userbase was at 25 million by the time it stopped selling

I've been trying to emphasize this a while.  But I think Wii fanboys on this site try to overlook the concept of install base segmentation on purpose.  Then we get first day MGS4 sales blowing predictions out of the water, including mine.  (I was expecting 800k).

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.