By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII Is Going To Be Amazing!

FinalEvangelion said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@burshe

for Gods sake PS2 didn't always have a 120 million install base

when FF10 launched PS2 userbase was at 10 MILLION

FF10 sold 8 million....so at most PS2 userbase was at 25 million by the time it stopped selling

I've been trying to emphasize this a while.  But I think Wii fanboys on this site try to overlook the concept of install base segmentation on purpose.  Then we get first day MGS4 sales blowing predictions out of the water, including mine.  (I was expecting 800k).

How am I a Wii Fanboy? I predicted 7 million. A VERY good number sold for any game. I am just amazed at PS3 fanboys saying it will sell more than FFX and even FF7. Really? Yea im the fanboy.

Youre points before to avoid two posts:

"1)GT4 Was on a larger userbase but sold less than GT3

MGS3 was on a larger userbase but sold less than MGS2.

2) You are right about that but that was also like that on PS One.  FFVII sold more than FFVIII and FFIX.

If FFX sold less than than FFIX you would be totalty right about consistently selling less but it didn't...It sold more than FFIX and also more than FFVIII not more as FFVII but we all know how epic FFVII was;..
"

Like I said, the first installment in a series on a new platform will generally sell more than later copies.  That is why GT3 ousold GT4 and MGS2 outsold MGS3. That is one point to why FF13 will be successful and sell a hell of a lot of copies. But as you see, Final Fantasy is not the top RPG anymore. It has competition and has lost its edge. That is why it wont outsell FFX and FF7. If it does, then top notch to SE for making two versions, because that would be the only reason why it could possibly sell more than FFX or FF7.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

Around the Network
Riachu said:
Soriku said:
It looks nice though I'd appreciate it more if it had more fantasy in it like FF IX/VI/IV/etc. I think Versus will be the better game.

Also, if you're predicting 10 mil SW then you're crazy. FF VII sold near 10 mil because it had HUGE hype and marketing (it was everywhere. Toys, food, non-gaming mags, etc.). FF XIII will be big on its own, but 10 mil isn't happening especially since the FF series sales has been declining...

The reason(s) why FFXII didn't do even better was for a number of reasons:

1.The game took several months after its Japanese release which lowered it's hype slightly

2.It was released in America a week before Gears of War

3.It was released when the PS3 and the Wii were about to come out

4.The game was very controversial upon its Japanese release which kind of made some people lose hope for it

5.FFXII is great but FFX was the better game in the end 

Ugh and this based on two games;...FFX and FFXII..

This is just the same when FFX was almost released...The sony haters were like:

-  FF X massive sales...Woohahaha..

-  Those PS fanboys are really the biggest idiots ever!

-  Don't they see that the FF franchise sales are declining Moehahaha;.

-  Yeah  FFVIII sold less than FFVII,  and FFIX sold less than FFVIII Moehahaha..

-  OMG FFX wil going to fail and then Final Fantasy will come back to the nintendo where it belongs!!

-  Then FFX ended up to selling more than FFIX and FFVIII only not so much as FFVII because (again) FFVII was massive;..

-  Then all those haters were gone...Where?  I don't know probably hiding in some cave in Norway where they came crawling out again when they saw FFXII sold less than FFX so they can start again....THE FF FRANCHISE IS DECLINING MOEHAHAHA..

Ugh  I hate those Nintendo FanKIDS...

Sorry if I sound so aggressive but I really hate they are brainwashing my poor Soriku while the facts are on this site....Sigh..

Bursche said:
FinalEvangelion said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@burshe

FF10 sold 8 million....so at most PS2 userbase was at 25 million by the time it stopped selling

I've been trying to emphasize this a while. But I think Wii fanboys on this site try to overlook the concept of install base segmentation on purpose. Then we get first day MGS4 sales blowing predictions out of the water, including mine. (I was expecting 800k).

How am I a Wii Fanboy? I predicted 7 million. A VERY good number sold for any game. I am just amazed at PS3 fanboys saying it will sell more than FFX and even FF7. Really? Yea im the fanboy.

2) You are right about that but that was also like that on PS One. FFVII sold more than FFVIII and FFIX.

If FFX sold less than than FFIX you would be totalty right about consistently selling less but it didn't...It sold more than FFIX and also more than FFVIII not more as FFVII but we all know how epic FFVII was;..
"

Like I said, the first installment in a series on a new platform will generally sell more than later copies. That is why GT3 ousold GT4 and MGS2 outsold MGS3. That is one point to why FF13 will be successful and sell a hell of a lot of copies. But as you see, Final Fantasy is not the top RPG anymore. It has competition and has lost its edge. That is why it wont outsell FFX and FF7. If it does, then top notch to SE for making two versions, because that would be the only reason why it could possibly sell more than FFX or FF7.

What competition does FF have other than DQ and Kingdom Hearts?

Riachu said:
Bursche said:
FinalEvangelion said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@burshe

I've been trying to emphasize this a while. But I think Wii fanboys on this site try to overlook the concept of install base segmentation on purpose. Then we get first day MGS4 sales blowing predictions out of the water, including mine. (I was expecting 800k).

How am I a Wii Fanboy? I predicted 7 million. A VERY good number sold for any game. I am just amazed at PS3 fanboys saying it will sell more than FFX and even FF7. Really? Yea im the fanboy.

2) You are right about that but that was also like that on PS One. FFVII sold more than FFVIII and FFIX.

"

Like I said, the first installment in a series on a new platform will generally sell more than later copies. That is why GT3 ousold GT4 and MGS2 outsold MGS3. That is one point to why FF13 will be successful and sell a hell of a lot of copies. But as you see, Final Fantasy is not the top RPG anymore. It has competition and has lost its edge. That is why it wont outsell FFX and FF7. If it does, then top notch to SE for making two versions, because that would be the only reason why it could possibly sell more than FFX or FF7.

Star Ocean, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Tales, Phantasy Star, etc. While these are not as big as FF, DQ, and Kingdom Hearts, the fact is that Final Fantasy is not the definitive top RPG anymore compared to the original Playstation era.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

@Konnichiwa

WOW....way to own fanboys

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
Bursche said:
FinalEvangelion said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@burshe

"

I predict 6-8 million as well.  I wasn't looking at who Darth's post was directed to, but some were saying it would do alot less.  There is a chance it could be epic like FF7, but that chance is small.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Bursche said:
Riachu said:
Bursche said:
FinalEvangelion said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@burshe

"

Star Ocean, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Tales, Phantasy Star, etc. While these are not as big as FF, DQ, and Kingdom Hearts, the fact is that Final Fantasy is not the definitive top RPG anymore compared to the original Playstation era.

Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls shouldn't count since they are PC RPGs.  Phantasy Star was never particularly popular, even in Japan.  SO and Tales being competition to FF isn't too big of an exaggeration.

@FinalEnvangelion

I think it could be as epic as FF7 because they have had loads of years to develop this one....also it will be the ONLY really BIG JRPG on PS3....

since no SO4 n so on...so all the JRPG fans will get FF13

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
@FinalEnvangelion

I think it could be as epic as FF7 because they have had loads of years to develop this one....also it will be the ONLY really BIG JRPG on PS3....

since no SO4 n so on...so all the JRPG fans will get FF13
FFXIII and WKC are the only big JRPGs coming to the PS3 right now.  The 360 has more big JRPGs coming(Infinite Undiscovery, Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean The Last Hope, The Last Remant) as well as several niche ones.

m8, Oblivion was huge at 3.4 million on consoles. It sold 2.5 mill on the X360 alone (and rufly 900,000 on PS3, the VGC EU data havent been updated), despite being an early-gen launch.

If Oblivion - the best game ever created - had been released simultaneously and a bit later in the gen, it would have sold +5 million easily.