By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will Sony and Microsoft's philosophy towards online gaming change

with GH3 I think quite a bit of that is royalties, but $3 is STEEP.

Around the Network
shams said:
ssj12 said:
Microsoft needs to learn that PC gaming = free so online gaming should = free. I'll side with Sony going completely free online.

Sony are the masters of milking consumers. They claim/market it to be free - and it is - but you will get bugger all for that. Pay extra for just about everything else.

Nintendo's online will be focused on "ease of use". They want anyone to be able to use their online service - this is their core focus.

How does Sony milk consumers?  Microsoft is the one forcing Epic to charge for their Gears of War content and charging way too much for most of their items.  Nintendo charges more than they should for VC games as well.  Again, how is Sony milking?

Nintendo needs to focus on online to begin with. 

Gballzack said:
Hopefully each stop using online gaming as an excuse for decreasing the content in the games they're comming out with. While an online experience is fun, it should only ever be suplemental, not a necessity of gameplay. Hopefully they also stop using their online services to blur the line between PCs and Game Consoles to allow them the convenience of less resources put towards quality control in that any flaw can be patched later. Why the hell should I have to download a patch for anything on a console game, even if its just a supplementary feature? Why are there upgrade crashes? Why is every flaw I left behind on the PC for the convenience of Consoles showing up in my Console Gaming?! Why do I need to play ranked online battles online to eek out the 60 dollars worth of gameplay I payed for? With higher production costs and increasingly longer development time tables on systems like the 360 and PS3 I see a continuing trend of the increasingly shorter and shorter single player aspect of the game and an increased dependency on multiplayer online functions to create the illusion of a much larger game with only the fraction of resources.

A lot of people like online games.  You really do act like you work for Nintendo. 

Xbox Live is so far ahead that this topic isn't really worth discussing.  Maybe in a few years the others can catch up but I have my doubts since it's a moving target and as soon as they catch up to where Xbox Live was it will have been made better.

shams said:
ssj12 said:
Microsoft needs to learn that PC gaming = free so online gaming should = free. I'll side with Sony going completely free online.

Sony are the masters of milking consumers. They claim/market it to be free - and it is - but you will get bugger all for that. Pay extra for just about everything else.

Nintendo's online will be focused on "ease of use". They want anyone to be able to use their online service - this is their core focus.

You're saying a free Home and everything that entails is not good enough?

You're getting dedicated servers for free, Live doesn't have that generally... how is this not Sony doing better than MS in that regard? 

Live will be free sometime in the next two years I predict. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
windbane said:
Gballzack said:
Hopefully each stop using online gaming as an excuse for decreasing the content in the games they're comming out with. While an online experience is fun, it should only ever be suplemental, not a necessity of gameplay. Hopefully they also stop using their online services to blur the line between PCs and Game Consoles to allow them the convenience of less resources put towards quality control in that any flaw can be patched later. Why the hell should I have to download a patch for anything on a console game, even if its just a supplementary feature? Why are there upgrade crashes? Why is every flaw I left behind on the PC for the convenience of Consoles showing up in my Console Gaming?! Why do I need to play ranked online battles online to eek out the 60 dollars worth of gameplay I payed for? With higher production costs and increasingly longer development time tables on systems like the 360 and PS3 I see a continuing trend of the increasingly shorter and shorter single player aspect of the game and an increased dependency on multiplayer online functions to create the illusion of a much larger game with only the fraction of resources.

A lot of people like online games. You really do act like you work for Nintendo.

And a lot of people like a flashed out single player experience.

Gballzack is correct, a lot more games are starting to leave the Single player experience on the side and just release games with strong multiplayer. Of course, this is not true in all cases (Olivion), but I would love more games to improve their single player experience and have the multiplayer as an addition.

Wii games seem to be going this route, but most likely that's not through choice but because Nintendo's online system is so crappy. I'm all for single player and local multiplayer, that's the entire reason I bought a console rather than just upgraded my PC.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

omgwtfbbq said:
windbane said:
Gballzack said:

A lot of people like online games. You really do act like you work for Nintendo.

And a lot of people like a flashed out single player experience.

Gballzack is correct, a lot more games are starting to leave the Single player experience on the side and just release games with strong multiplayer. Of course, this is not true in all cases (Olivion), but I would love more games to improve their single player experience and have the multiplayer as an addition.

Wii games seem to be going this route, but most likely that's not through choice but because Nintendo's online system is so crappy. I'm all for single player and local multiplayer, that's the entire reason I bought a console rather than just upgraded my PC.

I think you're both completely wrong.  Just because there are more online games on consoles does not mean there are fewer single player games.  Most of the best games still have great single player experiences.  Now, there are also online-only games but it's not like you have to play those.  

Every game I've rented so far for the PS3 has had a long single player experience, including the ones with great online elements.  Just because some people are saying the multi-player is more fun does not mean the single player experience is not complete.  If you don't like Halo's and Gears of War's single player, don't play those games.  Play Resistance, heh... 

Online games is a much better trend than sloppy ports and crappy mini-games.  But I guess all 3 are part of the great variety console games are getting.

I'd also like to point out that patches are generally for the multi-player experience, like Motorstorm's "fix" of the boosting.  There's nothing wrong with patches because if the shipped game is terrible and has to be patched it will be punished by reviews of games because they review shipped copies. 

In summary:  stop whining, online games are great. 

ckmlb said:
shams said:
ssj12 said:

You're saying a free Home and everything that entails is not good enough?

You're getting dedicated servers for free, Live doesn't have that generally... how is this not Sony doing better than MS in that regard?

Live will be free sometime in the next two years I predict.

I hope you are right.  The barriers preventing me from owning a 360 are:  hardware failures way too high, a lot of console exclusives also on the PC which would be more useful for me to upgrade, and charging for free online features that battle.net and others have had for more than a decade. 

I think PS3's online service is already better than Live's, just because of the dedicated servers not having a host bias...oh, and not having lag.  XMB access while in-game is coming soon, and that is about the last feature that I care about.  Home will be icing.

For people who complain about GH songs being expensive...it's not just an mp3 you're downloading or whatever. Plenty of work goes into each song that gets re-recorded and programmed...I can definitely understand them being 2 or 3 dollars...a standard mp3 that you can only listen to costs $1 usually, so I don't see the big deal.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
For people who complain about GH songs being expensive...it's not just an mp3 you're downloading or whatever. Plenty of work goes into each song that gets re-recorded and programmed...I can definitely understand them being 2 or 3 dollars...a standard mp3 that you can only listen to costs $1 usually, so I don't see the big deal.

I believe they make you buy them in packs of 3 at a time, soif you just want 1 song you have to buy 2 others as well.  The price per song is higher than when you buy the game, too...