By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is The Playstation 3 Really Doing That Bad?

URNotE said:

until then the only thing you are doing is guessing... which means nothing

Uh ... isn't that what most of these threads are? Just guessing which way the market will go based on game releases and available data?

Around the Network
Gballzack said:
The constant need for sony oriented threads themed on sony supporters reassuring themselves everything is alright seems fair indication that things are indeed bad, but who knows for sure.

NO the problem is that people wont give it a freakin chance! Its the same people who buy a whole god damned system for a couple of fucking games! And its the same people who bandwagon from system to system, (as in example PS2 to X360) Just to be on top. And the same people who go around in threads saying they own all three systems (Just so they can sound fair) when they really don't. Sorry I just had to go off.

My games are in my collection.

Fav Devs: Naughty Dog and Insomniac.
And yes I like KH.

El Duderino said:

it all depends on what you compare it with  and what your expectation where, most people compare it to the Wii since they launched at the same time (not in europe though) and the expectations are mesured at Sonys official expectations, which where very high, so if these are your standards then yes its that bad,

if you want to compare it to the X-Box 360 and your expectations where lower than Sonys than it´s still doing bad but considering the X-Box´s head start and the price difference its not that bad and has lots of time to catch up and go beyond, but it would take lots of time and even more fortunate turnes to catch the Wii and since most people expected Sony to at least ceep its domination this is Bad for Sony, not the end of the road as many say but still pretty bad,   

I also now realize that people have diffrent expectations. Even though I think this is wrong I agree that you would think the PS3 would be "The ultimate gaming device" the way the sony exec.'s sounded.

And yes I like KH.

Gballzack said:
The constant need for sony themed threads designed to reassure Sony Supporters seems fair indication that things are indeed bad, but who knows for sure.

Seems the Sony execs have a future date at an AA meeting if they haven't already...

Just to reassure the Sony-ites out there, things could be worse. That's about all PS3 has going for it unfortunately.

Numbers don't lie, guys. 

Currently playing: Civ 6

I expect it to experience gamecube level sales. The difference being that the Gamecube actually made a profit, and the PS3 will never make a penny for Sony. In fact, it will create huge deficits.

Around the Network

I think the Playstation 3's doom is slightly over exaggerated. Truth is, both the Playstation 3, and the Xbox 360, are doing terrible, when compared to the success of other consoles, such as the Nintendo Wii, and Playstation 2.

URNotE said:

how come people always make threads about this and people always give answers like this.. when will everyone realize that a system wont sell hardware or software unless it has games...  ps3 games have been slow since launch everyone knows that but still throws numbers  and predictions and other crap into the equation.. once the ps3 has a decent month of game releases then we should bring this topic up again but until then the only thing you are doing is guessing... which means nothing

The fastest selling console of all time (the PS2) had one of the weakest launch and post launch line-up. The PS3's line-up really isn't that bad ...

Resistance, Motorstorm, Virtual Fighter and other games are high enough quality (well known) games that would have sold well and sold many consoles if the PS3 wasn't $600. The market for a console over $300 is very small and there is a lot of competition (XBox 360, PS3 and PC) for this market ...

I'm not sure that we can rely on worldwide sales totals to tell the whole story. We all consider the XBox to have been much more successful than the Gamecube, but it only sold a few million more units.

Sales by region matter. Different regions have different tastes, and a developer needs to decide how much he ought to satisfy each region. A game that appeals to Japan is going to sell well in Japan and poorly in the US. A game that appeals to both is going to sell somewhat well in both, though clearly not as well in either as a more specialized game.

By concentrating on the American market, the XBox and 360 make it possible for devs to make games exclusively for Americans. A higher percentage of American console owners buy these games than would be expected, increasing the attach rate of the 360. At least, that's my theory.

The PS3's real problem right now is there's no reason to make a game for it. If you want to appeal to Japan, make it on the Wii. If you want to appeal to Europe or America, make it on the 360. If you're going for a worldwide audience, then put it out on the Wii in a few months.

And, as people have been saying, the 360 launched a year ago. Furthermore, PS3 sales are very bottom-heavy. It's matching the 360's track record only because it launched well - its future sales prospects are pretty dismal. I'd expect the 360 to continue to pull ahead by ~4m a year even if the sales rates don't change, and history informs us that leading consoles almost always increase their sales rates relative to trailing consoles.

HappySqurriel said:
URNotE said:

how come people always make threads about this and people always give answers like this.. when will everyone realize that a system wont sell hardware or software unless it has games...  ps3 games have been slow since launch everyone knows that but still throws numbers  and predictions and other crap into the equation.. once the ps3 has a decent month of game releases then we should bring this topic up again but until then the only thing you are doing is guessing... which means nothing

The fastest selling console of all time (the PS2) had one of the weakest launch and post launch line-up. The PS3's line-up really isn't that bad ...

Resistance, Motorstorm, Virtual Fighter and other games are high enough quality (well known) games that would have sold well and sold many consoles if the PS3 wasn't $600. The market for a console over $300 is very small and there is a lot of competition (XBox 360, PS3 and PC) for this market ...

Yeah I remember all I was playing at the launch of the ps2 was madden 2001 ready2rumble and smugglers run lol

And yes I like KH.

Dolla Dolla said:
URNotE said:

until then the only thing you are doing is guessing... which means nothing

Uh ... isn't that what most of these threads are? Just guessing which way the market will go based on game releases and available data?

my point is that its obvious why its sales are slower than expected.. so why continue to make a new thread everyday asking the same question?? and besides there were already threads made about this in the past.. you just gotta do a little digging

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732