By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is The Playstation 3 Really Doing That Bad?

reload92 said:
I've come here to ask is the Playstation 3 really doing that bad? I mean in sales everyone thinks its doing so bad but if you look at this: http://www.vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=All&cons2=PS3®2=All&cons3=X360®3=All&align=1 It clearly shows that if you align the lauches the ps3 is selling about the same as the 360. And the 360 had no competetion so IMO that makes the ps3 selling better. And if you look ahead the ps3 has lots of exclusives coming our way, MGS4 Killzone 2 Ratchet and Clank Lair Warhawk Uncharted Drakes Fortune and the secret title Afrika. And not to mention Home a revoulution in how we interact with each other on video game consoles. So if anyone has a diffrent point of view please tell me because I want to figure out what is behind the worldwide phenomenon of PS3 bashing on internet forum boards. Thank you for reading.

When Spiderman 3 came out people compared its box office sales to spiderman 2, when pirates 3 came out they compared to pirates 2. If Titanic the highest grossing film came out with a sequel, and made 300 million dollars. people wouldn't say that's amazing it made more then tons of movies. they'd say that's half the amount that Titanic made!(in the US) When a kid is in school his parents compare his current grade to how it falls in line with his last grade. Would you celebrate your child getting a C if they were a straight A student? And say well the other kids got Cs too, so thats great! No you'd say last semester you got an A what happened? So that's what people are asking of Sony, What happened? the ps3 isn't selling like the ps2 and that's a cause for concern. I think it's a great system with plenty to offer, but so is the 360 and the Wii, so I'm not going to go around shouting that people aren't giving it a chance. People hardly gave the x-box, Gamecube, dreamcast, N64, tg-16 a chance, so should the ps3 be priviliged? Sony will have to fight and they have plenty of time and plenty of ammo, so let's sit back and see what happens.

Around the Network
reload92 said:
Gballzack said:
The constant need for sony oriented threads themed on sony supporters reassuring themselves everything is alright seems fair indication that things are indeed bad, but who knows for sure.

NO the problem is that people wont give it a freakin chance! Its the same people who buy a whole god damned system for a couple of fucking games! And its the same people who bandwagon from system to system, (as in example PS2 to X360) Just to be on top. And the same people who go around in threads saying they own all three systems (Just so they can sound fair) when they really don't. Sorry I just had to go off.

Isn't that a tad naive? Why is it suddenly a shock when people find that the market is driven by casual gamers and not franchise die-hards? Sure I guess you could technically and semantically say people aren't giving it a chance, but why should they is the real question. Obviously the PS3 is not giving the consumer base what they want or else it would be doing well. And while you're more than entitled to your opinion of it being a great console, its not really fair to say its problem is people not giving it a chance. Saying people aren't giving it a chance could be said for any console that underachieved, its a moot claim.

You know what I'm not going to sit here and make up something as a comeback, everyone in this thread is right but one thing is truly right no matter what, We Just Have To Sit Back And Wait. Thats all we can do. Let the companies do the fighting not us.

My games are in my collection.

Fav Devs: Naughty Dog and Insomniac.
And yes I like KH.

HappySqurriel said:
URNotE said:

how come people always make threads about this and people always give answers like this.. when will everyone realize that a system wont sell hardware or software unless it has games...  ps3 games have been slow since launch everyone knows that but still throws numbers  and predictions and other crap into the equation.. once the ps3 has a decent month of game releases then we should bring this topic up again but until then the only thing you are doing is guessing... which means nothing

The fastest selling console of all time (the PS2) had one of the weakest launch and post launch line-up. The PS3's line-up really isn't that bad ...

Resistance, Motorstorm, Virtual Fighter and other games are high enough quality (well known) games that would have sold well and sold many consoles if the PS3 wasn't $600. The market for a console over $300 is very small and there is a lot of competition (XBox 360, PS3 and PC) for this market ...

yes thats true it was weaker but the key word is launch lineup... keyword LAUNCH LINEUP..

during its first year the ps2 had key games released before its 1st year was completed to drive sales up in NA and Japan...

the ps3 doesnt have that at all.. if you thought motorstorm.. virtua fighter 5.. or resistance were system sellers then you were crazy... resistance maybe in NA and europe

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

It is doing bad because in 6 months Sony has gone from a completely dominating position to a 15% or less market share / week. 360 has a huge head start and the Wii is outselling it by a considerable margin each week.

Add to that, Sony is losing tons of money on the PS3.

They did less than 45k last week world wide. To put that in perspective, the Wii sold more than that in each region. Wii sells more each week than PS3 does each month. And the Wii is profitable. That is a complete disaster for Sony.

PS3 is selling the same as GC and XBox last gen :http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=GC&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=XB&reg3=All&align=1

Wii is selling better than PS2 and 360 launch aligned as well. PS2 and 360 are doing similar sales.

Around the Network
URNotE said:

yes thats true it was weaker but the key word is launch lineup... keyword LAUNCH LINEUP..

during its first year the ps2 had key games released before its 1st year was completed to drive sales up in NA and Japan...

the ps3 doesnt have that at all.. if you thought motorstorm.. virtua fighter 5.. or resistance were system sellers then you were crazy... resistance maybe in NA and europe

Believe whatever you want but remember that the PS2 didn't see its first truely killer game (Grand Turismo) for nearly a year after its launch, and even that did not boost sales it essentiall maintained the sales level of the PS2.

reload92 said:

You know what I'm not going to sit here and make up something as a comeback, everyone in this thread is right but one thing is truly right no matter what, We Just Have To Sit Back And Wait. Thats all we can do. Let the companies do the fighting not us.

That's a good idea.

While some of us may be deliberately antagonistic, I think a lot of us are simply trying to be realistic. As you said, you're manipulating the statistics, trying to find a way that the PS3 can come back; we're just saying, in so many words, that such a comback is not likely. That doesn't mean it CAN'T come back, or that the PS3 isn't a good system -- it's just unlikely to win this console generation.

Did Gamecube owners feel like they had a crappy console, even though it came in third place last generation? The ones I know don't. There were a lot of good games on it. I expect the same from the PS3, regardless of where it ends up on the totem pole, so I wouldn't be too worried about it.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

reload92 said:

very true, most people here make sense and have good arguments but also feel to much passion for what they like, passion is good but does not belong into a fact based argumen, none of us can change whats going to happen so we should just put the facts togehter the way we think they fit and see what others think, won´t change a thing anyway :)

DRJ said:
It is doing bad because in 6 months Sony has gone from a completely dominating position to a 15% or less market share / week. 360 has a huge head start and the Wii is outselling it by a considerable margin each week.

Add to that, Sony is losing tons of money on the PS3.

They did less than 45k last week world wide. To put that in perspective, the Wii sold more than that in each region. Wii sells more each week than PS3 does each month. And the Wii is profitable. That is a complete disaster for Sony.

PS3 is selling the same as GC and XBox last gen :http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=GC®1=All&cons2=PS3®2=All&cons3=XB®3=All&align=1

Wii is selling better than PS2 and 360 launch aligned as well. PS2 and 360 are doing similar sales.

Once again it is all about expectations, Most people who looked at the ps2 sales expected the ps3 to sell miles above the Wii. But for people who looked at price supply games etc. thought the Wii would blow the PS3 out of the water. So just restating its all about opinion and expectations.

My games are in my collection.

Fav Devs: Naughty Dog and Insomniac.
And yes I like KH.

HappySqurriel said:
URNotE said:

Believe whatever you want but remember that the PS2 didn't see its first truely killer game (Grand Turismo) for nearly a year after its launch, and even that did not boost sales it essentiall maintained the sales level of the PS2.

gran turismo came out in april.. of 2001.. almost a year after the japan launch and september in th U.S.  what game of that calibur has the Ps3 seen???  gran turismo was a bonafide system seller... what game has the ps3 seen so far thats a system seller???  none

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732