By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: Sony working on 'break apart' motion PS3 pad

thekitchensink said:
HELLFISH said:
I'm just saying the idea has been explored in the past, and was trashed-- I think sony is better than digging in that trash. Make something new, please. Personally, I don't like the idea of a break apart controller. I do like the idea of pointer based controller on the PS3, because after playing first person on the Wii, I hate sticks.

No they're not. The only thing that Sony ever did in gaming that some may consider 'innovative' is Blu-Ray.

-Nintendo used shoulder buttons, a D-Pad, and four face buttons on the SNES controller. What did Sony respond with on the first playstation? FOUR shoulder buttons, a D-Pad, and four face buttons on the Playstation controller. The NES did 2 face buttons then the Sega did 3 face buttons.  The SNES was just moving up the ladder by making it 4.

-Nintendo introduced the analog stick on the N64 (after the Playstation was already out). It was widely heralded as one of gaming's greatest innovations. They also introduced Rumble to the gaming world, which made its' games much more exciting. Of course Sony responded with DUAL analog sticks and a controller with built-in rumble.

-Most recently, at E3 2005, Nintendo unveiled the 'remote control' for its' then-called Revolution system. The codename was apt, as it dominated E3 and continues to dominate. What does Sony announce the very next day? "Oh, yeah, we're tossing in some accelerometer, cuz we're innovative like that." And you can't even argue that they were already planning to unveil it that day, as 'ZERO' games released for several months that most people agree even made somewhat of a good use of it--the developers found out at the same time we did.  There apparently were plans at Sony for the motion tilt functionality long before Nintendo unveiled its controller.  

But I haven't even reached my piece de resistance yet--in case anybody here forgot, the 'Sony' Playstation would never have EXISTED if it weren't for Nintendo, when they decided to back out of their deal with Sony to design the 'Nintendo Play Station' CD add-on for the SNES. Yes, Nintendo even came up with the name.  Yes, Nintendo got really greedy and proceeded to get b*tchslapped for two generations for it.  Awesome.

Sony is not revolutionary, they are evolutionary. And that is why I believe that, though it makes me sad, at E3 2008 they will unveil their latest 'innovation', the PS3-mote.

Improvement is at least as important as innovation.  Keep in mind, it was a mixture of improvement/innovation that brought us movies with audio and it was pure improvement that brought us color television.

Don't act like improvement is somehow less important than innovation.  It's not.  ^_^ 

Around the Network

This should be good for first person shooter games.

WordsofWisdom, are you sure about that Nintendo + Sony deal was a mistake for Nintendo? I've heard people say that the deal favored Sony extremely and screwed over Nintendo.

Sustaining innovations only matter to existing customers. Disruptive innovations matter to non-customers who become customers. Until a market has complete saturation, disruptive innovations will continually outclass sustaining innovations in importance, because they will be expanding the market instead of placating the existing market.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Arcturus said:
Soriku said:

If this is true, FAIL.

Care to elaborate?

It would be more like:

If this is true, its an obvious copy. You can't assume it will fail, like Sixaxis did. Dualshock 3 should have been used the whole time.

Around the Network

According to Wikipedia, Nintendo would have been completely screwed over by the deal with Sony, giving Sony control over every single title released on the system. Also the system was going to be made by Sony, and not Nintendo, or even a joint effort from what I understand. That means that Nintendo would most likely be a software only company now, or perhaps would have had EVERYTHING stolen from them. The DS and Wii would most likely never seen the light of day. How was that a bad idea? If anything that would have killed the gaming industry, "words of wisdom". =P

Of course, Wikipedia could be wrong, but it follows along with a lot I've heard from other people.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation

if true its stupid. Its not just the motion sensing that has people gobbling up the wii. its the price and image...2 things sony cant do anything about this gen.

I this is true then at least the gimmick is now the standard.

I am upset for Nintendo though, as Sony will make even a penny off Nintendos innovation. That is if this controller truely simulates the Wiimote+Nunchuck combo in a Sony fashion; like the Analog and the Rumble and the Wireless controller additions, then I truly will wish for the ruination of such copy-cat money hungry (power) companies, Nintendo shifted to body motion and touch generation, what's stopping Sony from making it's own. That would inspire me to get a PS4 or even play my PS3... this just makes me sad... This isn't a competition of ideas it's just a friggin knock off company with money backing it.

I can't wait till E3 when Nintendo releases some 'Core game' that uses the Wiimote&Nunchuck& Balance Board or their new peripheral who knows.

If this is not just them moving into body motion generation then Sony is seriously trying to get my attention, and I might get this thing. But I h8 lich like Co-Opt companies, or even people, I've always hated them... always asking to borrow my bycicle and crap like that... wait... er... /end

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Words Of Wisdom said:
thekitchensink said:
HELLFISH said:
I'm just saying the idea has been explored in the past, and was trashed-- I think sony is better than digging in that trash. Make something new, please. Personally, I don't like the idea of a break apart controller. I do like the idea of pointer based controller on the PS3, because after playing first person on the Wii, I hate sticks.

No they're not. The only thing that Sony ever did in gaming that some may consider 'innovative' is Blu-Ray.

-Nintendo used shoulder buttons, a D-Pad, and four face buttons on the SNES controller. What did Sony respond with on the first playstation? FOUR shoulder buttons, a D-Pad, and four face buttons on the Playstation controller. The NES did 2 face buttons then the Sega did 3 face buttons. The SNES was just moving up the ladder by making it 4. Oh, I'm not trying to make the point that Nintendo was innovative by adding 4 face buttons (it was the shoulder buttons that did it ).  My point is that, if you take an original PS controller (the ones without the DualShock), and compare it to a SNES controller, they look pretty much exactly the same, designwise.  They're laid-out in a diamond-pattern, with the Start and Select buttons in the exact same place, and a D-Pad on the left.  The only thing added at that time was two extra shoulder buttons.  Not saying the controller was bad (I loved the original Playstation and liked PS2 btw), I'm just saying it was nearly a carbon-copy of the SNES controller.

-Nintendo introduced the analog stick on the N64 (after the Playstation was already out). It was widely heralded as one of gaming's greatest innovations. They also introduced Rumble to the gaming world, which made its' games much more exciting. Of course Sony responded with DUAL analog sticks and a controller with built-in rumble.

-Most recently, at E3 2005, Nintendo unveiled the 'remote control' for its' then-called Revolution system. The codename was apt, as it dominated E3 and continues to dominate. What does Sony announce the very next day? "Oh, yeah, we're tossing in some accelerometer, cuz we're innovative like that." And you can't even argue that they were already planning to unveil it that day, as 'ZERO' games released for several months that most people agree even made somewhat of a good use of it--the developers found out at the same time we did. There apparently were plans at Sony for the motion tilt functionality long before Nintendo unveiled its controller.  That's the official story, but I find it very suspicious that not a single game at launch, or for a while afterward, used it in any meaningful way.

But I haven't even reached my piece de resistance yet--in case anybody here forgot, the 'Sony' Playstation would never have EXISTED if it weren't for Nintendo, when they decided to back out of their deal with Sony to design the 'Nintendo Play Station' CD add-on for the SNES. Yes, Nintendo even came up with the name. Yes, Nintendo got really greedy and proceeded to get b*tchslapped for two generations for it. Awesome.  First, what does that have to do with what I said.  Second, how did they get greedy?  They would have made FAR more money if they used CDs--they went with the MORE EXPENSIVE cartridges for their almost nonexistant load times.

Sony is not revolutionary, they are evolutionary. And that is why I believe that, though it makes me sad, at E3 2008 they will unveil their latest 'innovation', the PS3-mote.

Improvement is at least as important as innovation. Keep in mind, it was a mixture of improvement/innovation that brought us movies with audio and it was pure improvement that brought us color television.

Don't act like improvement is somehow less important than innovation. It's not. ^_^

Don't take this to mean that I don't think Sony has done anything for this industry.  They just wouldn't have done anything right if not shown how to do it first.  Remember when they were going to 'innovate' with the Batarang PS3 controller?  We all know how that went.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Interesting ,way before both the Wii and the PS3 were released and we knew the Wiimote I thought that was exactly what Sony should do.A seemingly standar controller with all its buttons ,rumble ,etc that could break in two to reply the wiimote with motion controls.