By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: Sony working on 'break apart' motion PS3 pad

HappySqurriel said:

If we were heading into E3 2006 and Sony decided to combat the Wii with something like this as standard hardware I could see the benefit of it, now it just seems like a bad idea. Add-ons are always a risk and about the only times they're successful is when they're released with a game that (on its own) justifies the purchase of an add on (Guitar Hero, Wii Fit and DDR); after this they may see further support but typically in a very narrow genre of games and rarely do these games perform all that well.

True ,but it depends.If the new controller when toghether is exactly the same functionality as a Sixaxis/DS3 then Sony could at some point just bundle the new controller as the standar one.They did just that with the Dual Shock back with the PS1,and finally all the games used it.You have to make clear in the games cases that it needs the new controller ,or just implement standard controls in the games considering some buyers wont have it.

Around the Network
dib8rman said:
I this is true then at least the gimmick is now the standard.

I am upset for Nintendo though, as Sony will make even a penny off Nintendos innovation. That is if this controller truely simulates the Wiimote+Nunchuck combo in a Sony fashion; like the Analog and the Rumble and the Wireless controller additions, then I truly will wish for the ruination of such copy-cat money hungry (power) companies, Nintendo shifted to body motion and touch generation, what's stopping Sony from making it's own. That would inspire me to get a PS4 or even play my PS3... this just makes me sad... This isn't a competition of ideas it's just a friggin knock off company with money backing it.

I can't wait till E3 when Nintendo releases some 'Core game' that uses the Wiimote&Nunchuck& Balance Board or their new peripheral who knows.

If this is not just them moving into body motion generation then Sony is seriously trying to get my attention, and I might get this thing. But I h8 lich like Co-Opt companies, or even people, I've always hated them... always asking to borrow my bycicle and crap like that... wait... er... /end

As far as I'm aware, there is no IR function in the PS3 controller, which is a big hole in the design IMO. That's one of the greatest things about the Wii remote and offers tons of new gameplay opportunities. I don't exactly see where Sony is going with this..If I was going to rip off nintendo, I'd make the controller split into two parts that had both accelerometers, tilt control, and IR in it. 

Nintendo already had motion sensing in the works according to Shigeru Miyamoto since Snes.

That's including R&D by the way, some of you guys should read Iwata's interviews.

Innovation is who does it first, Sony never would of done motion sensing, oh but we forget this isn't just motion sensing, if that was the case then the Sixaxis is a success story on paper - this is a full body motion generation - the Sixaxis failed out the box on that one.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

super_etecoon said:
I think if Sony or Microsoft go the way of the motion controller it will just be further admission of failure on their parts. We're too far along to rethink a console strategy. The most they can do is perfect their initial business models they had for this generation and put their efforts of motion control into the next.

Microsoft already paid the price for attempting to court Nintendo's casual audience at last years E3.

What makes you think it can't work as an optional peripheral?  Nintendo is doing something almost something almost exactly the same with the Wii balance board, yet nobody predicts doom for that.   I think this can work, not every game has to support it.

mesoteto said:
yeah, they will still miss the ability to position it in 3d space due to teh lack of IR, this is where motion and GIMMICK go hand in hand

Right, because:

a) IR is the only way to get the position of an object.

b) They couldn't just make their own IR bar.

c) They haven't already thought of it if they cared about it.

This break apart motion sensing controller is a stupid idea.  More retarded than the Wii remote, because the Wii Remote came first.

But, that doesn't mean you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.  And you don't.

Around the Network

The Balance Board will have a shot at success because it's differentiated. There is quite literally nothing else on the market capable of doing what it does (analog center-of-balance detection combined with weight/pressure detection, based around the feet). Its specifications have only the most vague precedence in any other controller (specifically, a vague resemblance to the analog stick, combined with a vague resemblance to the Power Pad and DDR knock-offs of the Power Pad).

Comparatively, what Sony has proposed here is nothing but precedented. It's using pitch/yaw/roll motion detection (Wii Remote, SIXAXIS, various third-party controllers over the years), standard controller design (NES, Master System, TG-16, Genesis, SNES, PS1, PS2, XBOX, GC, 360, PS3, and many many others), and separate-handed controller "halved" design (Wii Remote + Nunchuk, Darwin).

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

The whole problem with a break apart controller is that it has to be designed to fit your hands while in both configurations. In that aspect, it can never be comfortable as a control designed specifically for one handed operation.

I grew up on the PS2 and consider it my favorite console to date, although the Wii is certainly a lot of fun and if the right games get released, it will exceed the PS2 in that area.

But I want a PS3, and I will have one eventually. When that day comes, I would really like to see a pointer based control. I'm not that great with the history of video game innovation, and I don't really care as long as I get to benefit. I think Sony has contributed a lot the industry, even if it is just building on others innovations. But even I can tell a rejected Nintendo break apart design is a terrible idea.

Lol, who cares really, innovation or not it comes down to money... sheesh.

If I was a key investor in Sony I'd of been like: "IF you like your position you better be taking notes." HEll if it were me you'd of seen a black Wiimote&Nunchuck in 2006 for the PS brand. Lawsuits are secondary, for me it would of been to just kill the emphasis on whatever the competition is doing.

I'd of made a standard definition PS3 with Wii functions but more powerful for $180 and accept the $40 loss.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Arcturus said:
Soriku said:

If this is true, FAIL.

Care to elaborate?

It'd basically be just ripping off the Wii.

Two split controllers, which would give it better motion control.