By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: Sony working on 'break apart' motion PS3 pad

Break apart controller? That sounds like a bad idea to me.

Around the Network

it could be good if doesn't break easy, i guess we'll see in e3

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Soriku said:

If this is true, FAIL.

Care to elaborate?

yeah, they will still miss the ability to position it in 3d space due to teh lack of IR, this is where motion and GIMMICK go hand in hand

I wouldn't mind a split-apart controller, thats one of the few things I like about the Wii :P They can can the idea of motion controls though, I dun like that one bit, wait for the next generation of consoles prease.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

If we were heading into E3 2006 and Sony decided to combat the Wii with something like this as standard hardware I could see the benefit of it, now it just seems like a bad idea. Add-ons are always a risk and about the only times they're successful is when they're released with a game that (on its own) justifies the purchase of an add on (Guitar Hero, Wii Fit and DDR); after this they may see further support but typically in a very narrow genre of games and rarely do these games perform all that well.

It'll be a good idea for Sony to do this.
If Microsoft comes out with x-mote, then Sony better have it too.

All I can say is: this generation still has a long way to go. Microsoft & Sony can't wait until next generation. At the end of this year there might be bundles with motion controlled games for both consoles 360 and PS3.

^with out the IR all this would nly open up a few doors the six axis couldn't already do

I can see boxing, and some sports, but driving and flying were already there

anything i missed?

I think if Sony or Microsoft go the way of the motion controller it will just be further admission of failure on their parts. We're too far along to rethink a console strategy. The most they can do is perfect their initial business models they had for this generation and put their efforts of motion control into the next.

Microsoft already paid the price for attempting to court Nintendo's casual audience at last years E3.