By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN gives MGS4 10/10

Loud_Hot_White_Box said:
Slimebeast said:
IGN and Gamespot's review scores are bullshit. Only fanboys put merit into getting a 10 from those sites.

Eurogamer, Gametrailers and Gamespy are a lot better. Fair and trustworthy.

Sour grapes, fanboy.

Look at the thread. Everyone is like "yeah, MGS4 got a 10. Go Playstation". The entire thread reaks of fanboyism.

Honestly, reviews are shit now. They are based on hype and that's it. There is no validity. If 10s are so rare then why  did two games get them. It may be the critics reviewing it or they are all caught in the hype. Games are getting 20s that don't deserve them and I really don't think MGS4 is a 10 by any means. Sorry, but I'm siding with many others. Look to smaller outlets for scores. (Not saying MGS is bad, but it never stuck me as a perfect game, especially from other opinions).

Around the Network

People still pull out that stupid "perfect game" bullshit. Just blows my mind.

Euphoria14 said:

Nobody called you out directly though, so why are you getting so upset?  If you know you do not fit into that criteria you should be content, I don't personally have a list of everyone here who trusts or doesn't trust IGN, I only go by what I see. Same with everyone else.

You've mistaken being resolute and argumentative for being upset.  Should I assume you're experiencing emotional distress because you seem to actively dispute any bit of criticism anyone has towards the game? Or for inferring that there's some kind of uninformed hate train getting a head of steam when there is none. The point is noone commenting here yet has really fit that criteria, not in enough numbers to be of concern anyway.  And you know I'm really the only one who explicitly stated that IGN can't be trusted, so let's not be  dishonest.  

The truth is I just find the (unfounded)value placed on IGN fascinating and bewildering.  I actually have a friend who uses them to justify his opinions, when it suits him of course, meaning when a game on a Sony platform gets a good score, but is incapable or uninterested in any deeper consideration of the medium.  It's a junk food mentality that's interesting to say the least (an elitist thing to say maybe, but I'm a jerk ;)).

Anyway we've wasted enough time on IGN here.  I think this forum can provide better game criticism tenfold.

im playing it right now and its everything I hoped it would be. A 10 is fitting.

ArtznCraphs said:
Euphoria14 said:
ArtznCraphs said:
SpartanFX said:
ArtznCraphs said:
Euphoria14 said:
It used to be "Wait for IGN review".

Now it's "IGN reviews can't be trusted."

New excuse everyday... I love it!!!

Best part is the ones hating on this game in this thread are ones who haven't even played it, lol. Essentially making their opinions on the game moot.

Huh?

It used to be from who? Some people think IGN is the last word, some people have never trusted them. There isn't one large group that's just flipflopping.

And most of the people commenting here seem to have played the game they're just not all declaring this the best thing since yesterday. Some happen to think that level headed criticism is more important than feeling secure in your purchases and likes.

Either way, IGN is still clown shoes.

go search the website,,,you see 90% people in this site accept IGN only,,,it was in a long thread

So are those 90% nowsaying IGN can't be trusted?  No, it's me (decidely never a part of that 90%) and maybe a couple others.  No one switched on it.  And I gave a reason why I personally don't think their reviews are worth much, which has nothing to do with my opinion on this particular game.

Nobody called you out directly though, so why are you getting so upset? 

You've mistaken being resolute and argumentative for being upset.  Should I assume you're experiencing emotional distress because you seem to actively dispute any bit of criticism anyone has towards the game? Or for inferring that there's some kind of uninformed hate train getting a head of steam when there is none.

The truth is I just find the (unfounded)value placed on IGN fascinating and bewildering.  I actually have a friend who uses them to justify his opinions, when it suits him of course, meaning when a game on a Sony platform gets a good score, but is incapable or uninterested in any deeper consideration of the medium.  It's interesting to say the least

No idea what your going on about, but what I am saying is this.

I did not call you out directly or accuse you of flipflopping, yet you obviously took offense to my post. I am saying if you didn't fit in with the ones who do in terms of the IGN comment you should have felt no need to respond the way you did by calling me out. Simple as that.

I also have not disputed everyone who disagrees with this review, read the entire thread. It was aimed more towards those in this thread who do not own a PS3, have not played the game yet think their opinions on gameplay, storyline, etc... have merit, which they do not.

I don't see what the problem is here.

Send a PM if you want to keep this going, but personally I don't see where else this would go.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree. You haven't read enough of my posts. If you felt I targeted you in any way, I'm sorry, but to be honest... I didn't.

As I said before though I am not going to respond in this thread anymore, I see no need to argue, I'm just gonna go play Metal Gear. :)

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
Deviation59 said:
People still pull out that stupid "perfect game" bullshit. Just blows my mind.

no game is ever perfect

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

How quickly people forget Haze's 4.5. It was one of the lowest scores the game got, far below the 6-7s other reviewers were giving the game.

And yes, they gave GTAIV a 10. Are you going to fault every other reviewer that pulled the same BS?

But yeah, saying it deserves an 11 is a bit much.

Euphoria14 said:

No idea what your going on about, but what I am saying is this.

I did not call you out directly or accuse you of flipflopping, yet you obviously took offense to my post. I am saying if you didn't fit in with the ones who do in terms of the IGN comment you should have felt no need to respond the way you did by calling me out. Simple as that.

Like I said, I was the only one who explicitly criticised IGN as being untrustworthy. Unless I missed other peoples posts. If not than you were referring to me, albeit in maybe a casual manner, and you're backpedaling.  But whatever, I'm not anywhere close to offended .  I just like to argue. That's what I do, to the chagrin of everyone around me, heh.

I also have not disputed everyone who disagrees with this review, read the entire thread. It was aimed more towards those in this thread who do not own a PS3, have not played the game yet think their opinions on gameplay, storyline, etc... have merit, which they do not.

You're right, I read someone elses post as yours.  But from what I've read,the ones commenting have played the game.

Iz don't see what the problem is here.

Send a PM if you want to keep this going, but personally I don't see where else this would go.

Yeah, we've wasted enough effort on IGN's account.

I have no problem agreeing to disagree. You haven't read enough of my posts. If you felt I targeted you in any way, I'm sorry, but to be honest... I didn't.

I don't like IGN's PS3 crew. Their scores seem way too extreme. Like others pointed out, GTA4 and MGS4 got 10s, and Haze got a 4.5. Now, I'm not saying GTA4 and MGS4 aren't great games and Haze isn't a bad game, but I don't like how liberally they dish out such radical scores.

This is where the problem is... if they reckon its that good, by the sound of it its better then GTAIV..... its not possible to make it look better then GTAIV apart from saying it should get 11/10! stupid review system

aside from that, i wish i had PS3 if it wasnt so expensive.

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)