By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official May NPD Thread (Data released 6/12 at ~6:30 PM EST)

CrazzyMan said:
I wonder what will be NEXT months gifs, when PS3 will sell over 500k thnx to MGS4. =))
235k just with GTA4. =)
i Believe Snake and 80GB bundle can push another 300k. =

I doubt Sony would even have 500K PS3s to sell. 

I still say you're a joke account.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
This thread isn't that epic.

I blame it on the shortage of 360 fanboys.  What ever happened to Legend? 

Viper1 said:

"The continued success of GTA IV is not translating into big hardware sales for either the PS3 or the 360 but there may yet to be a lift in June due to gift-giving for Father's Day and Graduations," said NPD analyst Anita Frazier.

Isn't she the one that claimed the GTAIV bump would take place in May and now she's rolling it over to June? I can say with some confidence that she has a serious lack of understanding the US video game market.

She'll probably claim MS4's boost as GTAs.  People looooove to rationalize and make things fit when they don't rather then admit that things just don't work like they think.

Father's Day gifts... really?

Well ,epic sales for the Wii ,stunning sales for the DS ,decent sales for the PS3 ....and mediocre sales for PSP and X360.

Its strange how GTAIV hasnt moved hardware at all.Or maybe if it wasnt released the sales would have been even worse ?

^or maybe alot of people knew the game was being released for the consoles so they jsut bouhjt em a year ago,or months ago

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
brute said:
^or maybe alot of people knew the game was being released for the consoles so they jsut bouhjt em a year ago,or months ago

Or the boost will be slow... as GTA4 is a mostly casual game... and a lot of casuals may not have the money to buy a PS360 right away.

I know a few people that lamented not being able to get GTA4 because they just didn't have the money for a 360 or PS3. 

^but the game has already sld a ton,so that proves that alot of people that wanted the game already own the console

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:
^but the game has already sld a ton,so that proves that alot of people that wanted the game already own the console

Yeah, but i think a lot of people who want the game can't afford the console now either.  Not saying that once the PS3 or 360 hit some magic number they're going to start selling out like crazy... but they aren't going to just die off like the cube and Xbox did.

I know a lot of people who want to upgrade systems but they just don't have the money to buy any of the three next gen systems. 

Hmm, where are the riots? Nice increase for PS3, curious about MGS4 month.

This list is very interesting:

NPD LTDs:
PS3 - 4,450,000
Wii - 10,180,000
X360 - 10,270,000

Wii Play - 5,760,000
Brawl - 3,190,000
Guitar Hero 3 Wii - 2,200,000
Mario Kart - 1,907,000
GTA4 360 - 2,721,000
GTA4 PS3 - 1,442,000

Lifetime totals are fairly close between VGC and NPD

Left is VGC scaled down to USA, right is NPD.

Wii Play: 5.6M- 5.7M
Brawl: 3.3M - 3.2M
GHIII Wii - 2M - 2.2M
MKWii - 2.0 - 1.9
GTA 360 - 3.3 - 2.7
GTA Ps3 - 1.7M - 1.4M

So % wise, it's like this:

They have Wii Play 1.7% higher than us, so that's awesome.
We have Brawl 3.1% higher than them.
They have GHIII Wii 10% higher than us.
We have MKWii 5.2% higher than them
We have GTA IV 360 22% higher than them.
We have GTA IV Ps3 21.5% higher than them.

It appears GTA is the only different one, as for GH it could be a 5% undertrack by us and a 4% overtrack by them (or alike that) which really cannot be considered big.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS