By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 is the king of rpg's this gen,so why isnt it doing good in japan

The xbox 360's main problem in Japan has to do with hardware poor reliability and perceived low quality (e.g. noise levels, etc).

It's not about boycotting Microsoft products. Most computers in Japan run on Microsoft Windows (including Sony desktops and laptops); there are more games released on the PC platform than on the Wii, PS3 and x360 combined.

Microsoft just needs to sort out the 360's hardware woes and continue wooing Japanese gamers, because software-wise they seem to be doing a fairly good job in terms of the catalogue..but sales are wanting.

Around the Network

Very Simple:

Brand Image: The Xbox was seen as being bad due to the size, and lack of style (Japanese love style). So the 360 is still having to shed it's negative image.

Marketing: Microsoft isn't the best at marketing the 360. They got it right with Blue Dragon...Look at what happened. That was the best shining moment for the 360 in Japan.

Lack of supporting Japanese-centric games. Despite the fact that the 360 does indeed have a nice supply of JRPGs, it lacks depth in other areas: Platformers, Puzzle, and other East-friendly genres aren't quite there. Even then, most "traditional" games such as RPGs have taken a hit in Japan, and this is causing the 360 problems.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

^ But isn't the PS3 a quite large and heavy console too? Although style it has with it's curves.

Nm, the Japanese are pretty much dissing the PS3 too, so my comparison fails anyway.

^but its still doing better then 360 and it has less rpgs

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Slimebeast said:
^ But isn't the PS3 a quite large and heavy console too? Although style it has with it's curves.

Nm, the Japanese are pretty much dissing the PS3 too, so my comparison fails anyway.

But it has good marketing, and a good brand image. Therefore is doing a (little) bit better.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

the amount of rpg's so far is pathetic. calling something the king of something pathetic doesnt mean anyone cares.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Does anyone think that Microsoft would fare tons better if they just spent the millions they are using buying this game to buy a crapload of 360s in Japan? and give them away for free?

The xbox hardware is loud and buggy. the japanese like high-tech, but not crap-tech. that's the main reason.

The MS-JRPG-Buy will not change that. MS was wrong in its prediction that GTA4 will move consoles. If I was a shareholder of MS I would try to stop the money loosing xbox-division (over 6 billion until now!)

Its quite simple, the 360 RPGs flat out suck, especially the JRPGs. Blue Dragon is crap, and I can think of at least 15 PS2 RPGs that were better, its ephemeral fantasia bad. Similarly Lost Odyssey is horridly made with very bad attention to detail (watch the movements of the characters for instance) and while the cut scenes look OK is positively archaic in its execution. Yes Eternal Sonata isn't particularly bad but its also coming out on the PS3 and is certainly not of system seller quality. Maybe Star Ocean 4 will help but even then thats by far a junior franchise compared with Final Fantasy XIII which will certainly be a system seller just like FFVII made the PS1 the winner of the generation far and away (and FFX certainly helped the PS2)

The only good RPG on the 360 is Mass Effect which is really more an action game with RPG elements then anything else (and is on the PC to boot). Other then that they've just made a dozen iffy RPGs and are routinely outdone by the still viable PS2. Play Persona 3 and then tell me that the 360 is the place for RPGs, that game alone is better then all the 360 RPGs combined.

The Japanese aren't racist, the games just suck. Ok maybe they are a little racist but the suck point stands.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

brute said:

the 360 clearly has the best rpg line-up,released and upcoming

but why isnt it doing good in japan

is it cause most of the japanese dont buy products not made by them(like with cars)

or maybe the name?the look?what do you think it is?

Because Japan is even more nationalistic than the USA. US car companies haven't penetrated the market that well yet either.... "The xbox hardware is loud and buggy." I don't think it's any buggier than any other piece of hardware. Look at the failure rates on the PS1 and PS2. I don't think the PS3 has sold enough to truly fail spectacularly yet. And if we really want to get into it... Sony failed to produce a console that is easy to program for. Most developers end up dumbing content down on it to get it to run well. You can blame the developer because it's easier, but it is REALLY Sony's fault. Be honest, should Sony have made the system easier to program for? If they made it easier to program for and as stable as it's currently been, you'd see better games, and more consumers.