By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Metal Gear Solid 4 has a review score of around 91%... I am NOT impressed!

Aggregate review scores mean nothing. The content of a review is valuable, the numerical value is not valuable when it is merely averaged with other numerical values.

Quit looking for neat & tidy ways to judge a game you have zero intent of ever playing.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network
a.l.e.x00 said:
psrock said:
i dont think uncharted has a 90's average, and i still think, its the best and most fun i've had on the ps3 so far.

I do not base my opinions on scores. I base my opinion on when I actually play the game. However, I still follow scores, because the higher the score, the higher the chance, my opinion will follow the scores. See? It is still important to follow scores, because otherwise, you're jumping blindfolded, and there's way too much shovel ware out there. However, it is important not to judge by the numbers, but to read the reasons for the numbers, and decide if they seem legit or not. You like Uncharted, and that's fine. Universally, it is claimed not to be a masterpiece, according to review sites, assuming that 90%+ is the mark of a masterpiece. Hey, some people like Superman 64 and ET for Atari (I know... Crazy world we live in), so really, no matter how bad, or good a game is, someone out there, loves it, or hates it.

the problem is we are expecting masterpieces for every game released on the hd consoles, that's just not fair. All i want is a good, fun game to play. Like i said 80 and up.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
ameratsu said:
Aggregate reviews mean nothing. The content of a review is valuable, the numerical value is not valuable when it is merely averaged with other numerical values.

Quit looking for neat & tidy ways to judge a game you have zero intent of ever playing.

Agreed. Numbers are meaningless. The words are everything. Better yet, your opinion is everything. But it is smarter to follow reviews, before buying a game anyway, because there's too much shovel ware out there. I mean, having your own opinion is, believe it or not, "expensive?" Why? Because in order to have your own opinion, you have to buy it, and I think it's safe to say, the low review score for Imagine: Babyz for the Nintendo DS, is accurate enough. Unless you borrow the game from a friend, or something, but still. It's a lot more convenient to briefly go by review scores, read the reviews, and if you were ever interested in the game, and perhaps if the reviews are good enough, buy it, then have a final opinion. I am not judging the game, but merely, stating that your own opinion may have a lower chance of you liking the game, seeing how 91% is pretty low, this early on for a MGS4 review, "however," NG4 is probably better than GameRankings, because it has 35 reviews, instead of 11, and since it's at 9.6 on that website, the opinion of this thread has severely been altered, so rest assure, I now believe this game may actually be a KILLER HIT, and may even live up to the hype. We will see. I am not judging the game. I was just saying that it may not be as good as you think, but no longer should that be, since, we'll, 9.6 on NG4 with 35 reviews is fucking awesome.

psrock said:
a.l.e.x00 said:
psrock said:
i dont think uncharted has a 90's average, and i still think, its the best and most fun i've had on the ps3 so far.

I do not base my opinions on scores. I base my opinion on when I actually play the game. However, I still follow scores, because the higher the score, the higher the chance, my opinion will follow the scores. See? It is still important to follow scores, because otherwise, you're jumping blindfolded, and there's way too much shovel ware out there. However, it is important not to judge by the numbers, but to read the reasons for the numbers, and decide if they seem legit or not. You like Uncharted, and that's fine. Universally, it is claimed not to be a masterpiece, according to review sites, assuming that 90%+ is the mark of a masterpiece. Hey, some people like Superman 64 and ET for Atari (I know... Crazy world we live in), so really, no matter how bad, or good a game is, someone out there, loves it, or hates it.

the problem is we are expecting masterpieces for every game released on the hd consoles, that's just not fair. All i want is a good, fun game to play. Like i said 80 and up.

And 80+, it will be. I used to go by 80+, but then I raised the bar to 90+, and really, now, I don't care that much anymore. Heck, I bought Donkey Kong Barrel Blast, which is at around 46, just to see how "good" it really was. Don't judge a game by its score. Don't judge a game by what you read before you play it. Judge a game after you play it, however, let the scores guide you before making a purchase, for you to have your final opinion. Don't ignore everything, and blindly buy a game, because if you do that, there's a 99.9% chance you're going to buy shovel ware. Yes, there's that much out there. Go ahead, ignore everything, follow your opinion, and pay $60 for Petz: Horses 2, so you can have your opinion on that game. No, seriously, your opinion is most important, but unfortunately, you have to "buy" the game before you can have your opinion, is it's smarter to do some research on how good the game really is, before you buy the game, and have your final opinion on it. Research, meaning read the reviews, and not look at just the scores.

Of note, 2 of the "perfect" scores are from official playstation magazine.

Enough PS3 fanboys cared when NG2 didn't score AAA, I don't know why they don't care now.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Just to fan the flames, 2 of the "perfect" scores are from official playstation magazine.

Enough PS3 fanboys cared when NG2 didn't score AAA, I don't know why they don't care now.

If you're talking about me, I didn't care about Ninja Gaiden II scores either. It looks like a lot of fun to play.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

that game looks tons of fun, it still got good reviews.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

that game looks tons of fun, it still got good reviews.

I agree. Both games look fun and got good reviews. I only point out that the people who laughed at Ninja Gaiden 2 should get laughed at now, for putting so much faith in average review scores.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Yeah, I can't believe Ninja Gaiden 2 is at around 82 right now. Apparently, there's some camera issues and such.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
psrock said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

that game looks tons of fun, it still got good reviews.

I agree. Both games look fun and got good reviews. I only point out that the people who laughed at Ninja Gaiden 2 should get laughed at now, for putting so much faith in average review scores.

i agree that we put too much weight on what reviewers have to say, although i do think they play an important role sometimes on what games i buy, like Haze for exemple, but trust me even if mgs4 would gotten all zero, i would have bought it, its my type of game.

Next Gen