By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Metal Gear Solid 4 has a review score of around 91%... I am NOT impressed!

a.l.e.x00 said:
makingmusic476 said:
a.l.e.x00 said:
makingmusic476 said:
It's because Eurogamer and Edge gave it 8s. Both of which gave MGS3 8s as well.

Wait for more reviews. IGN NA, 1UP, etc. haven't reviewed it yet.

NOT just Eurogamer, and Edge, but also "games" (yeah, good name... "games"... I don't know... Go to Metacritic... But "games" also gave it a score of 80).

Okay, so three reviewers, gave it a score of 80. Okay. Now, "WHY" did they give it a score of 80? Especially, this early on, when hype, naturally drives one to give a higher score, this early, before the game has even launched.

Wait for more reviews to come in? See, that's the thing. Later reviews, are always of lower scores. I'm sure 70's, and maybe a 60, or two, will come in, later on. If three reviewers gave the game 80, when the game hasn't even launched, that definitely tells you the game is not what it's supposed to be, and it will end, far lower than what it should have been.

But hey, screw the reviews, right? They don't know anything. Okay... But are they simply "imagining" such flaws, to give scores like 80? Prove me wrong. But hey, I don't know. We'll have to wait and see.

Scores will not improve. They will be lower, throughout time, so 80's now, is an ignominy for a MGS game, with only EIGHT reviews! 

You assume that all reviews will only be lower from here on out.  It's not definite.

Also, why is it horrible that MGS4 is recieving similar scores to MGS3 (and better, in many cases, such as GameInformer)?  It doesn't matter what order the reviews were released in.  Edge and Eurogamer gave the same score to both games.  GamePro did as well, only a 10 in both cases rather than an 8.  GameInformer gave it a higher score than MGS3.  That sounds great to me. 

And I don't even know who GamesTM is...

I assume, because usually, I am right.

It would not be horrible that MGS4 receives similar scores to MGS3. That would be awesome. But it's not. It only has a similar score to MGS3 "right now," but the reviews of MGS3 have already rested, a long time ago. Its score is going nowhere. It has already reached "sea-level." That's it, while MGS4 "may not" rest at 91%. If it stays at 91%, that's awesome. It's a masterpiece. But it may not. With only 8 reviews, I wont be surprised if it rests at 85%? 86%? Is that bad? No, but that's not my point. My point, is that MGS4, if you go by the reviews, is not the game it should have been.

I'm talking individual reviews.  From Eurogamer's, Edge's, Gameinformer's, etc. perspectives, the game is just as good if not better than MGS3.  I'd certainly trust them.  IGN will make the score go up as well (IGN UK gave the game a 9.9, and IGN AU gave it a 9.5, but only IGN NA is counted).

Around the Network
SpartanFX said:

n4g adds the reviews much faster

right now MGS4 is 9.6 with 35 reviews

http://n4g.com/PS3/games/g-17012/tt/metareviews.aspx

OT:this thread is truly retarted,,,and original poster is just a trolll,,,you don't care for MGS since you only ahve wii,so drop the act alex.

@starcraft

It's sad to not know the difference between France and ethopia,,,I guess most of MS employees are like that(not that worldly)

I like this review site:

Metareviews kicks the shit out of Metacritic, and GameRankings. I mean, there's so many reviews, so early on. Why is GameRankings, idling at 8 reviews, and Metacritic, around 11? I mean, wow. Metareviews is my new best friend. Alright, the score is 9.6... With 35 reviews. Well, I guess that changes ABSOLUTELY everything. Maybe it wont be such a disappointment after all. Good. That's awesome. So why the fuck is Metacritic, and GameRankings, so far behind?

By the way, you're right. I do, only have a Wii. Check it out:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=581188&op=8&o=all&view=all&subj=2204729358&aid=-1&oid=2204729358&id=650201416 

lol anyone that uses gamerankings or metacritics is a buffoon.

Gamebankings doesn't even add in all the reviews--onto their average scores.Their are plenty of 10/10's that will never see the light of day on that site.

SpartanFX said:

OT:this thread is truly retarted,,,and original poster is just a trolll,,,you don't care for MGS since you only ahve wii,so drop the act alex.

@starcraft

It's sad to not know the difference between France and ethopia,,,I guess most of MS employees are like that(not that worldly)

Nevermind.

Around the Network
a.l.e.x00 said:
SpartanFX said:

@starcraft

I like this review site:

Metareviews kicks the shit out of Metacritic, and GameRankings. I mean, there's so many reviews, so early on. Why is GameRankings, idling at 8 reviews, and Metacritic, around 11? I mean, wow. Metareviews is my new best friend. Alright, the score is 9.6... With 35 reviews. Well, I guess that changes ABSOLUTELY everything. Maybe it wont be such a disappointment after all. Good. That's awesome. So why the fuck is Metacritic, and GameRankings, so far behind?

By the way, you're right. I do, only have a Wii. Check it out:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=581188&op=8&o=all&view=all&subj=2204729358&aid=-1&oid=2204729358&id=650201416

N4g adds much fatsre than metacritics and gamerankings,,,

sorry I don't have facebook but maybe you could tell me what the link is (so i might have to appologize) 

a.l.e.x00 said:

Now, Metal Gear Solid has always been one of Sony's championship franchises. From the days of the original Playstation... No... From the days of the original Nintendo, Metal Gear has always been "the-fucking-shit!" Even though Metal Gear Solid is a multi-platform franchise, it is most, directly linked to Sony, because that's where it's best on. Usually, the main games are on Sony consoles, and the spin offs, are on other consoles, like "Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes" on the Gamecube. Metal Gear Solid has always been a land mark in gaming history. The original Metal Gear Solid was innovative, because it perfected, and reigned the genre of stealth action gaming. Metal Gear Solid 2 built up on its predecessor, and while Metal Gear Solid 3 was more of the same, it was also a milestone for stealth games. The PSP, on the other hand, jerked off in the corner, when it should have had a Gran Turismo game, and a proper Metal Gear Solid game, but instead, we get Metal Gear Acid... Yeah... I don't know...

Anyway, every single Metal Gear Solid game... Or at least, the main ones, are like Mario, and Zelda, because they've always been masterpieces of innovation, while raising the bar for others in the genre. Now, while the Playstation, and Playstation 2, greatly benefited by these games, will the Playstation 3, finally have its savour? Will the Playstation 3 have its own identity, instead of being a more expensive mirror of the Xbox 360, for the fact that its best games, are non-exclusives? Will the Playstation 3 have its "defining Metal Gear Solid?" I do not think so. On GameRankings, Metal Gear Solid 4 currently has reviews around 91.9%. Now, Metal Gear Solid 3 has reviews of 91.1%, but then again, it also has far more reviews than Metal Gear Solid 4, so it will no longer decrease. Metal Gear Solid 4 only has 11 reviews, and it's at 91.9%.

That's bad for a MGS game, this early on. See, the trend with reviews, is that they start out high, and only decrease. Remember Grand Theft Auto 4? Remember how long it was, at 100%, before going down, behind Ocarina of Time, and even behind Mario Galaxy? Well, the PS3 version is still above Galaxy... It better go down... I'm serious... Anyway, it's around 97% now, but that's not my point. My point, is that if Metal Gear Solid 4 is already at 91%, with only 11 reviews, I have a funny feeling it's going to rest around 85%. Why is that bad? I mean, 85% is good, right? Yeah, but 90%+ is the mark of a masterpiece, and seeing how Metal Gear Solid 4 has three reviews at 80% (Galaxy has zero), while it only has 11 reviews, it appears that Metal Gear Solid 4 is not the saving grace of the Playstation 3, but more like, Halo 3 all over again.... No... Even worse...

Halo 3 rested at around 93%. Metal Gear Solid 4 may not even rest at the 90% mark. Now, why do I care about reviews? Why do they matter? I mean, most of these reviewers don't even play the games. There's just so much bullshit involved, so why does it matter? Well, okay, I'm not being picky, saying it's 96%, when it should be 97%. I'm saying it's going to be around 84%-85%, when it should be 97%. Metal Gear Solid 4 should be better than Grand Theft Auto 4, but it isn't. It's not even close. After reading the reviews, Metal Gear Solid 4 is far from perfect, and I'm not talking about the 90 minute cut scenes. No. Apparently, there are game play flaws, such as the new stress, and psyche meters, not working together very well, and the story line itself, being a rather boring one, which is a shame, because that's where Metal Gear Solid usually excelled.

Perhaps, once I buy the game, and play it, I may actually like it, but after reading countess reviews of disappointment, and seeing how for some reason, perhaps coincidentally, I like a game as much as its score on reviews, it seems that Metal Gear Solid 4 will, or actually, is a disappointment, based on what I have read so far in reviews. Hey, reviews aren't everything, right? Yes, but you just can't ignore the fact that there are three reviews in the 80%, this early, before the game has even launched. It has a score of only 91%, when right now, it should be at 100%, then go down to like, 97%, or 96%, and I know I should not go by numbers, but I've read the complaints, and truly, they all seem legit. I don't know. I don't know about this one. I don't think this will be "the game" to save the Playstation 3, and that's an incredible shame, for this should have been the next Super Mario Galaxy... The next Grand theft Auto 4... The next METAL GEAR SOLID...

But it isn't. Will it be good? Oh, unassailably, but good, is not good enough. This was supposed to be the reason, for all PS3 fans, to own a PS3. This was supposed to set the standard... The bar... But these low reviews are really changing the arrows in the opposite direction. I cannot confirm how good the game is, because I have yet to play it, but all these flaws in the reviews, are usually, never imagined, but hey, tomorrow is launch day, so you never know... I might end up playing the game, and be like, "what the hell were those reviewers talking about?" Well, that's my last hope right now... If the reviewers are wrong, but really now, are they ever "THAT" wrong? 91%? For MGS4? Already? No... Something's wrong here, and I'm anxiously awaiting what exactly, or why, MGS4 does not live up to its predecessors, but it seems that, well, it's just not the game it's all hyped up to be, and seeing how many times the PS3 fucked up, I don't really have reason to deny the media, but we'll see... We'll see...

Hey, if it stays within the 90% mark, it's still a masterpiece...

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/926596.asp

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/metalgearsolid4gunsofthepatriots

How can you claim it will drop? The reviewers who dropped off massive points used the excuse of cutscenes... Did halo lose points because you could fire a gun? No. This will be 8th indivdual Metal Gear title and they haven't gotten over the cutscenes? If you don't like a cinematic like game then why the fuck would you buy a game you know will have them? It may fall or go up but basing its future off less than 10 reviews? It's pointless and has no validity.

MontanaHatchet said:
Who really gives a flying fuck?

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

NG4 is awesome. GameRankings and Metacritic, are the "new" NeoSeeker (review site I used to go to, before GameRankings and Metacritic). I mean, 35 reviews, compared to 8, and 11? That's it. NG4 is the shit. And 9.6, at 35 reviews, is epic. METAL GEAR SOLID 4 WILL BE GRAND! Now, I'm just following numbers here. Of course, my own opinion, is what matters most, but lower review scores bring a higher chance of my own opinion, being that the game is a disappointment, which is the only reason I follow them.

Ssyn said:
a.l.e.x00 said:

Now, Metal Gear Solid has always been one of Sony's championship franchises. From the days of the original Playstation... No... From the days of the original Nintendo, Metal Gear has always been "the-fucking-shit!" Even though Metal Gear Solid is a multi-platform franchise, it is most, directly linked to Sony, because that's where it's best on. Usually, the main games are on Sony consoles, and the spin offs, are on other consoles, like "Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes" on the Gamecube. Metal Gear Solid has always been a land mark in gaming history. The original Metal Gear Solid was innovative, because it perfected, and reigned the genre of stealth action gaming. Metal Gear Solid 2 built up on its predecessor, and while Metal Gear Solid 3 was more of the same, it was also a milestone for stealth games. The PSP, on the other hand, jerked off in the corner, when it should have had a Gran Turismo game, and a proper Metal Gear Solid game, but instead, we get Metal Gear Acid... Yeah... I don't know...

Anyway, every single Metal Gear Solid game... Or at least, the main ones, are like Mario, and Zelda, because they've always been masterpieces of innovation, while raising the bar for others in the genre. Now, while the Playstation, and Playstation 2, greatly benefited by these games, will the Playstation 3, finally have its savour? Will the Playstation 3 have its own identity, instead of being a more expensive mirror of the Xbox 360, for the fact that its best games, are non-exclusives? Will the Playstation 3 have its "defining Metal Gear Solid?" I do not think so. On GameRankings, Metal Gear Solid 4 currently has reviews around 91.9%. Now, Metal Gear Solid 3 has reviews of 91.1%, but then again, it also has far more reviews than Metal Gear Solid 4, so it will no longer decrease. Metal Gear Solid 4 only has 11 reviews, and it's at 91.9%.

That's bad for a MGS game, this early on. See, the trend with reviews, is that they start out high, and only decrease. Remember Grand Theft Auto 4? Remember how long it was, at 100%, before going down, behind Ocarina of Time, and even behind Mario Galaxy? Well, the PS3 version is still above Galaxy... It better go down... I'm serious... Anyway, it's around 97% now, but that's not my point. My point, is that if Metal Gear Solid 4 is already at 91%, with only 11 reviews, I have a funny feeling it's going to rest around 85%. Why is that bad? I mean, 85% is good, right? Yeah, but 90%+ is the mark of a masterpiece, and seeing how Metal Gear Solid 4 has three reviews at 80% (Galaxy has zero), while it only has 11 reviews, it appears that Metal Gear Solid 4 is not the saving grace of the Playstation 3, but more like, Halo 3 all over again.... No... Even worse...

Halo 3 rested at around 93%. Metal Gear Solid 4 may not even rest at the 90% mark. Now, why do I care about reviews? Why do they matter? I mean, most of these reviewers don't even play the games. There's just so much bullshit involved, so why does it matter? Well, okay, I'm not being picky, saying it's 96%, when it should be 97%. I'm saying it's going to be around 84%-85%, when it should be 97%. Metal Gear Solid 4 should be better than Grand Theft Auto 4, but it isn't. It's not even close. After reading the reviews, Metal Gear Solid 4 is far from perfect, and I'm not talking about the 90 minute cut scenes. No. Apparently, there are game play flaws, such as the new stress, and psyche meters, not working together very well, and the story line itself, being a rather boring one, which is a shame, because that's where Metal Gear Solid usually excelled.

Perhaps, once I buy the game, and play it, I may actually like it, but after reading countess reviews of disappointment, and seeing how for some reason, perhaps coincidentally, I like a game as much as its score on reviews, it seems that Metal Gear Solid 4 will, or actually, is a disappointment, based on what I have read so far in reviews. Hey, reviews aren't everything, right? Yes, but you just can't ignore the fact that there are three reviews in the 80%, this early, before the game has even launched. It has a score of only 91%, when right now, it should be at 100%, then go down to like, 97%, or 96%, and I know I should not go by numbers, but I've read the complaints, and truly, they all seem legit. I don't know. I don't know about this one. I don't think this will be "the game" to save the Playstation 3, and that's an incredible shame, for this should have been the next Super Mario Galaxy... The next Grand theft Auto 4... The next METAL GEAR SOLID...

But it isn't. Will it be good? Oh, unassailably, but good, is not good enough. This was supposed to be the reason, for all PS3 fans, to own a PS3. This was supposed to set the standard... The bar... But these low reviews are really changing the arrows in the opposite direction. I cannot confirm how good the game is, because I have yet to play it, but all these flaws in the reviews, are usually, never imagined, but hey, tomorrow is launch day, so you never know... I might end up playing the game, and be like, "what the hell were those reviewers talking about?" Well, that's my last hope right now... If the reviewers are wrong, but really now, are they ever "THAT" wrong? 91%? For MGS4? Already? No... Something's wrong here, and I'm anxiously awaiting what exactly, or why, MGS4 does not live up to its predecessors, but it seems that, well, it's just not the game it's all hyped up to be, and seeing how many times the PS3 fucked up, I don't really have reason to deny the media, but we'll see... We'll see...

Hey, if it stays within the 90% mark, it's still a masterpiece...

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/926596.asp

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/metalgearsolid4gunsofthepatriots

How can you claim it will drop? The reviewers who dropped off massive points used the excuse of cutscenes... Did halo lose points because you could fire a gun? No. This will be 8th indivdual Metal Gear title and they haven't gotten over the cutscenes? If you don't like a cinematic like game then why the fuck would you buy a game you know will have them? It may fall or go up but basing its future off less than 10 reviews? It's pointless and has no validity.

Because every other game I have followed, only dropped in reviews. It's like a trend. I mean, 10 other games I've followed, only went down, so why should this one not?

But hey, it's at 9.6 on NG4, which is better than GameRankings, and Metacritic, because it has 35 reviews, so that changes ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING. I think Metal Gear Solid 4 may rest at 9.4 on NG4, which definitely means, it's a masterpiece.

"BUT," I still can't ignore the reasons, that seem legit, for the reviews of 80. I mean, it's not like they simply "imagined" their complains. I don't know. I'll see tomorrow. I can't wait to play it on my Nintendo Wii:

Because I only have a Nintendo Wii.