By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much do you reckon Sony paid for MGS4 exclusivity?

1. couldnt even remotely guess
2. most likely in the form of dev cost and/or marketing/bundling IE: buying up the games to "gaurantee" sales for the bundle...this would allow Sony to spin "we dont PAY for exclusives" if they dont give a chunk of cash
3. The first game this gen and for the next 2 years to have this much appeal WW....absolutely worth it.

Around the Network

1. alot
2. alot of stuff
3. in the long term, and certianly it opposes the boost that the 360 would have got

steverhcp02 said:
or marketing

That'd be beyond surprising. I haven't seen a single commercial for the damn thing yet.

Suriously, what are Sony/Konami thinking? 

starcraft said:

Regardless of whether MGS4 turns out to be timed or fully exclusive to the PS3, it is quite clear that Sony offered either direct payment or incentives of a certain value to keep the title on their system only.

The sheer cost of developing the title and the PS3's relatively small userbase would have made substantial profit for Konami impossible to achieve without financial support from Sony.

I fully expect this entire thread to be speculation, but I am interested all the same.  My questions are:

- How much do you believe Sony paid for MGS4 exclusivity?

- What form do you believe these payments took?

- Will the hardware boost to the PS3 be worth it?

They would have paid a lot for it. Now the nature of the exclusivity will indicate the price tag of such exclusiveness. We have to wonder, how much Sony is being charged for every 80gb bundle they sell. Since they have to pay for it, perhaps that is the reason why its in the 80gb pack and not the 40gb pack due to perhaps this extra cost? I would expect they make more money or lose less money on that pack than the 40gb model.

Payments: Direct payments? Full or high price on bundled software? Deferred royalties for future games? Its hard to say, whichever it is im sure Konami made sure that Sony paid full price for this. Read MILLIONS!

Lastly: I don't know, we don't have any numbers yet... wait a month and we'll see what the console sales picture looks like then.

Tease.

1. Your mom
2. Your mom
3. Your mom.

Around the Network

1. Sony didnt
2. n/a
3.Hell yes

And a good reason for this game not being on the x360 is that it would not be able to run it

Half of dev cost
Cash to please the angry devs
Mediocre

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
vdoesntforgive said:
steverhcp02 said:
or marketing

That'd be beyond surprising. I haven't seen a single commercial for the damn thing yet.

Suriously, what are Sony/Konami thinking?

yeah, theyre quickly dropping the ball on this....but online ads have been decent....and Kojimas tour, plus ads in stores, etc.

starcraft said:

- How much do you believe Sony paid for MGS4 exclusivity?

- What form do you believe these payments took?

- Will the hardware boost to the PS3 be worth it?

- 20 (USD) million up front.

- Hardware bundling, shared marketing and promotion, Dev funding, and product placement.

- I don't know if the hardware boost is worth it, but think about the damage that would have occured to the playstation brand if MGS4 was multiplatform, especially if it were same day release. It's all about the confidence of the consumers, with that being said, I believe it's worthit.

As suggested in another thread the main payment possibly took the form of; competitive bundling offers, subsidizing advertising costs, subsidizing development costs.

Definetly worth it. The hardware figures shown in the week of MGS4 launching will only be the tip of the iceberg in terms of the amount of gamers who have actually purchased a PS3 for this game alone.