By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NA Sale UP!!! Terrible PS3 sales!!

shams said:

I have an odd feeling you are all setting yourselves up for a rather large fall...

PS3 sales next week may be +100k on this week - but the week after that? +50k? And after that?

MGS4 is no GTA... I still think most MGS fans already own a PS3.

I don't think it's going to have lasting legs at all, but it's probably going to make up for the weak sales in the previous weeks. And I'm not even sure about 100k for the week.

Around the Network

It will be funny if MGS4 only brings PS3 back to equal sales to the 360 this year according the NPD.

it seems NG2 didnt help 360

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Presumably pre-ordered bundles don't count in these totals, so the PS3 is doing surprisingly well given the number of people who would be inclined to get themselves a 80GB (+MGS +DS3controller bundle) version, which hasn't been available in NA for a while now.

I wouldn't be surprised if its just the new 80GB bundle that will move hardware next week. The MGS4 bundle will be just a bonus for a lot of folks -- an awesome bonus, that will perhaps fuel more software sales via "wow... that game was incredible... I must have more". The 80GB bundle is an awesome tool for pushing PS3s, from any standpoint. All these numbers might be saying is that the regular PS3 purchases have dropped some, possibly due to the bundle's popularity.

As I recall, while it was still on the shelves, the 80GB version typically out-sold the 40GB version of the PS3, in NA. 

NG2 only sold 173k copies if that's correct. Unless NOBODY who already owned a 360 bought the game would there have been a spike in hardware sales.

I think it's already been said multiple times, but NG is just not a system seller. The only people who played it in the last generation were Xbox owners, and I find it hard to believe someone gaming mainly on a PS3 would buy a 360 just on the strength of Sigma.

What is supposed to be the next big release for the 360 anyway? The last game I bought was Mass Effect, which was pretty annoying since the superior PC port was announced shortly after that. I just don't see anything in the immediate future to boost 360 sales.

Was expecting to see a big shipment of Wii Fit this week, but it looks like the stores will be flooded on the 12th instead to coincide with MGS4.

MGS4 bundles sold should only be constrained by the number of bundles shipped to retail. Regardless of what the number is, I expect them to be sold out for at least the first couple weeks of release.

It will be the first time since the debut of the PS3 that the words "supply constrained" will be used to explain lower sales relative to demand.

Around the Network
Mifely said:

Presumably pre-ordered bundles don't count in these totals, so the PS3 is doing surprisingly well given the number of people who would be inclined to get themselves a 80GB (+MGS +DS3controller bundle) version, which hasn't been available in NA for a while now.

I wouldn't be surprised if its just the new 80GB bundle that will move hardware next week. The MGS4 bundle will be just a bonus for a lot of folks -- an awesome bonus, that will perhaps fuel more software sales via "wow... that game was incredible... I must have more". The 80GB bundle is an awesome tool for pushing PS3s, from any standpoint. All these numbers might be saying is that the regular PS3 purchases have dropped some, possibly due to the bundle's popularity.

As I recall, while it was still on the shelves, the 80GB version typically out-sold the 40GB version of the PS3, in NA.

Barring those few Wal Mart bundles that were sold when a handful of outlets broke street date, those numbers shouldn't post until after the 12th.

I can't find one online currently and word seems to be circulating that the initial shipment is long since sold out.

80GB MS sales only picked up near the end after it was announced that Sony was discontinuing the SKU with no announcement for its replacement. At that point, any gamer who considered PS2 BC a big selling point had to rush to buy one for fear that the feature may never return. 

There was a similar effect for the 60GB model when its cancellation was announced, along with the $100 price drop.   

Doesnt anyone realize that no one that wants MGS4 has a PS3 yet. Everyone that has a PS3 now picked it up for something else and wont even come close to touching a copy of MGS4.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Another epic success for the X360 this week.

The "struggling" console has now closed the gap to PS3 in North America/Europe!

I'd say that the PS3 sales are about 10K less than normal because people are holding out for MGS4-bundles.

So the "true" gap up to the PS3 is about 20K WW including Japan.

But a future price drop could lift the X360 past the PS3 WW.

shams said:

I have an odd feeling you are all setting yourselves up for a rather large fall...

PS3 sales next week may be +100k on this week - but the week after that? +50k? And after that?

MGS4 is no GTA... I still think most MGS fans already own a PS3.

The increase of the PS3 will be as you suggest, but i would imagine that it will stay above 50k for quite some time.  A lot of Sony fans may not buy MGS4 but the new 80gb bundle will sell a lot of units.  Many GTA fans may have put off buying the 40gb unit in favour of the 80gb system.

Hey I guess that means that my prediction that the Xbox360 sales will exceed PS3 sales from July until the end of the year (Average) might come true after all.

A 30-60k boost from a pricecut in North America is all thats required to do it now.

Tease.