By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NA Sale UP!!! Terrible PS3 sales!!

@Benga Benga

remember in Japan before DW6 released.....the PS3 dipped really low due to the bundle coming out

remember PSP dipped really low before the FF7:CC bundle coming out

GTA 4 never had a bundle in NA

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
steverhcp02 said:
Squilliam said:
steverhcp02 said:
Squilliam said:
Hey I guess that means that my prediction that the Xbox360 sales will exceed PS3 sales from July until the end of the year (Average) might come true after all.

A 30-60k boost from a pricecut in North America is all thats required to do it now.

i dont understand your logic....are you talking WW or in NA? if NA, thats not a bold prediction at all...if WW id say youre out of your mind. MGS4 has global appeal and is being bundled across the world on a simaltaneous release.....the PS3 will most likely outsell the 360 by 100k per week worldwide after this week for the rest of the summer if the bundle is replenished. IMO. Your looking at, hopefully a consistant 20k in Japan for a while on average, a constant 40 or 50k in "others" and likely a good 40k in the states....again, depending on the bundle availability.

Yep I was talking world wide. But quarter 3 so most of the boost from MGS4 would be last quarters' news anyway.

I just took into account simple things like the refresh thats going to be bigger than the Falcon one in terms of cost savings, because A the GPU + heatsink are big and expensive and B they have to set aside FAR less money for repair and C they are shrinking every chip inside the machine at the same time. So a price cut would make sense really, the market seems to be saturating at that price level and the economic situation in the states is actually helping the Xbox360 as consumers are much more price concious now than the were 6 months ago.

Furthermore console sales are low, especially for the HD consoles in the states... All it takes is for one of the consoles to take off and leave the other behind because worldwide they are closer now than they ever were at any point in this year. Im just picking that it will be the Xbox to pick up in sales with a price cut.

hmmm, thats decent enough. However, clearly a price cut will be the largest factor...not games or exclusives or anything, so its plausible....but m only problem is basing an entire prediction or logic based on a not even rumored price cut at this point.

MGS4 is probably the "biggest" game for the PS3 until FF13 simply because it appeals to all 3 major markets......we should see a hardware boost all over the world, combined with the bundle for new owners on the fence. This is why i believe if sony can replenish the bundles theres no chance the 360 will be close to th ePS3 the rest of the gear.....that is unless MSFT bundles GoW2 and adds a $50 price drop across the board and lowers the core to $199.

agree with the price cut part is the most important aspect to affect the ps3 more than games, as i said in another post some people are budget contrained(i dont understand why that gets ignored in most of the analisys in this site)

BengaBenga said:
starcraft said:
BengaBenga said:
So, what are the predictions for next week. I think it's clear that PS3 will outsell 360, but does it have a chance at beating Wii for a week?

Some PS3 fans seem to be convinced that PS3 will sell around 200.000 or more (NA) because of the bundles and the first important exclusive.
I think it should sell at least 150.000 (NA) next week to be a moderate success and over 250.000 would be very good.

You think PS3 sales will triple in the USA?

Did that even happen with the last price cut?

No, I don't think it will happen. GTA launch week didn't even manage to sell that. It is the feeling I get from reading the boards here. I think people should prepare for a massive dissapointment.

I mean last week's numbers are horrible if you take into account that it's the week before the FIRST BIG EXCLUSIVE launches. The thought that every customer knows about the 80GB bundle and is postponing the purchase of a PS3 is laughable. At the very least we should have seen an upward trend.
MGS is not even close to GTA in popularity, despite that one being multiplat it seems clear to me that the impact of GTA (biggest game of the year) is bigger than MGS4. And we all know that the impact wasn't exactly amazing.

i think its safe to say a good 20 or 30k people withheld...thats not EVERYBODY as you allude to. If EVERYBODY did sales would be at zero.

I also think you OVERESTIMATE how many people buy a console the week before a game to get  game next week, thus are putting too much credence into lesser sales the week before for no reason.....i know if i want MGS4 and dont have a PS3 id try to get the bundle or grab the game and the 40gb when the game comes out....

Also if ioi takes into account wal-mart sales then we also must factor in the week long special of receiving a $100 gift card with the purchase of a PS3....perhaps folks also withheld for that for this week. 

not that it'll happen.. but it'd be interesting to see the backlash if 360 outsells ps3 next week

tabsina said:
not that it'll happen.. but it'd be interesting to see the backlash if 360 outsells ps3 next week

the great thing about online forums is the effort it takes to post things....we must type them out, usually proofread, and then hit submit....this is why useless "thinking out loud posts" should not be tolerated

Around the Network
steverhcp02 said:
BengaBenga said:
starcraft said:
BengaBenga said:
So, what are the predictions for next week. I think it's clear that PS3 will outsell 360, but does it have a chance at beating Wii for a week?

Some PS3 fans seem to be convinced that PS3 will sell around 200.000 or more (NA) because of the bundles and the first important exclusive.
I think it should sell at least 150.000 (NA) next week to be a moderate success and over 250.000 would be very good.

You think PS3 sales will triple in the USA?

Did that even happen with the last price cut?

No, I don't think it will happen. GTA launch week didn't even manage to sell that. It is the feeling I get from reading the boards here. I think people should prepare for a massive dissapointment.

I mean last week's numbers are horrible if you take into account that it's the week before the FIRST BIG EXCLUSIVE launches. The thought that every customer knows about the 80GB bundle and is postponing the purchase of a PS3 is laughable. At the very least we should have seen an upward trend.
MGS is not even close to GTA in popularity, despite that one being multiplat it seems clear to me that the impact of GTA (biggest game of the year) is bigger than MGS4. And we all know that the impact wasn't exactly amazing.

i think its safe to say a good 20 or 30k people withheld...thats not EVERYBODY as you allude to. If EVERYBODY did sales would be at zero.

I also think you OVERESTIMATE how many people buy a console the week before a game to get  game next week, thus are putting too much credence into lesser sales the week before for no reason.....i know if i want MGS4 and dont have a PS3 id try to get the bundle or grab the game and the 40gb when the game comes out....

Also if ioi takes into account wal-mart sales then we also must factor in the week long special of receiving a $100 gift card with the purchase of a PS3....perhaps folks also withheld for that for this week. 

Ok, let's recap. In my first post I set some targets, because I honestly don't have a clue about next weeks sales. But let me say that I was already dissapointed at VGChartz GTA4 booost, let alone the NPD numbers.
No matter how often everyone says it doesn't count because it's multiplatform, it's damage control and you know it. It was THE PS2 game and even multiplatform it should be about 50% bigger than MGS4.

I'm not saying no-one will wait for the bundles, but in all honestly after all the massive hype I didn't (and I hope no-one did) expect the 360 to outsell the PS3 the week before the biggest exclusive game on PS3 yet launches. I hope we can all agree on that.

That's why I wanted to know how much everyone expects the PS3 to sell during MGS week. I have even seen predictions of a million PS3's sold next week. If everyone posts their ideas, we can put next weeks result into perspective. 

I'm thinking Sony forced demand, by making available the only version of the system people didn't favor (they claimed this themselves when they claimed not to have gauged the demand on the 80gig.)

This method of backloging is artificial, it's also been very streamingly advertized that MGS4 will have the 80gig for the last few months, those who intended on getting a PS3 now know a superior model will be released soon with a great game for dirt cheap.

I'm seeing at most a supply = sales week for the PS3 on MGS week, the Xbox360 seems dead in the water as far as console sales, they really didn't make many provisions, or I haven't been looking hard enough. Wii sales always seem to depend on supply - should Nintendo surge the US with them again, then people will gobble them up, I'd be watching Wiifit sales though, if they can score another 600k week in the US almost a month after it's release then, that shows the type of software it is (hardware).

Three things may end up depending on supply, but I believe that Sony artificially created a demand, by backloging the demand that was already there for a couple of months now.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

steverhcp02 said:
tabsina said:

the great thing about online forums is the effort it takes to post things....we must type them out, usually proofread, and then hit submit....this is why useless "thinking out loud posts" should not be tolerated

if i don't write them down somewhere, i'll forget it.. vgchartz is my notepad

steverhcp02 said:
Squilliam said:
steverhcp02 said:

Yep I was talking world wide. But quarter 3 so most of the boost from MGS4 would be last quarters' news anyway.

I just took into account simple things like the refresh thats going to be bigger than the Falcon one in terms of cost savings, because A the GPU + heatsink are big and expensive and B they have to set aside FAR less money for repair and C they are shrinking every chip inside the machine at the same time. So a price cut would make sense really, the market seems to be saturating at that price level and the economic situation in the states is actually helping the Xbox360 as consumers are much more price concious now than the were 6 months ago.

Furthermore console sales are low, especially for the HD consoles in the states... All it takes is for one of the consoles to take off and leave the other behind because worldwide they are closer now than they ever were at any point in this year. Im just picking that it will be the Xbox to pick up in sales with a price cut.

hmmm, thats decent enough. However, clearly a price cut will be the largest factor...not games or exclusives or anything, so its plausible....but m only problem is basing an entire prediction or logic based on a not even rumored price cut at this point.

MGS4 is probably the "biggest" game for the PS3 until FF13 simply because it appeals to all 3 major markets......we should see a hardware boost all over the world, combined with the bundle for new owners on the fence. This is why i believe if sony can replenish the bundles theres no chance the 360 will be close to th ePS3 the rest of the gear.....that is unless MSFT bundles GoW2 and adds a $50 price drop across the board and lowers the core to $199.

I don't doubt that the PS3 will see a nice boost with MGS4, and I wouldn't go as far as saying that GeoW should or even that I think it would be productive to bundle a game like that.

The games that will really move hardware for the 360 now, are the "Come and play with me" type games that are easy to get into and have a wide appeal. Games like Fable 2, Sacred 2, Halo Wars, Too Human, and the old Halo 3 are the keys to accelerating sales for the Xbox360 this year IMO. Price cuts would only assist this process further. My reasoning is this, an Xbox360 owner buys a game. He wants to play Coop or Multiplayer with a friend without a console so he says "Hey I think you should buy an Xbox360 so we can Coop on X and Y game and I think you'll enjoy it, its only $299 now". I don't think its a coincidence that the Xbox360 upcoming games lineup is stacked with quite a few of these types of games.

This is the key for the Xbox360 to broaden its sales base in the states and for Microsoft to sell more of its extremely profitable Live Gold subscriptions. This is targeting the gap between the Wii and the HD consoles at present to try and draw in as many people as you can. Consoles with easy multiplayer are perfect examples of this. The Wii by design is a "Come and play with me" console, and IMO this explains a lot of their success. Their own userbase is their best marketing weapon.

They can afford Price cuts strictly because they expect X numbers of Gold subscriptions to be sold per console and they benifit from current ones as well, they can finally make the console fully reliable and divert a lot of the money used to pay for repairs into profits/price cuts, and the total cost to make the machine will drop with this refresh even more so than the Falcon.

These are some of the reasons why I believe the 360 can outsell the PS3 2nd half of this year. Their lineup is perfect for expanding their userbase.

Tease.