By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Anyone Ever Beat The PS2 In Hardware Sales?

Every market leader lasts for about twice as long as its competitors. The NES was made for 20 years. The SNES, PS1, and PS2 all lasted really ridiculously long. The Wii and DS will do the same, if not better, due to selling way faster and expanding the market to epic proportions.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
Fernando said:
The Wii stilll has a lot cards.

Just remember: Nintendo, after almost 2 years is still outselling the competition by a large margin every month, and it's sellling faster than the PS2.

Both Microsoft and Sony already did cut prices, new colors, bundles with free games, free movies, etc.

Nintendo is still the same price. No bundles, no new colors, no price cut. If sales start to drop (and its not going to happen this year), they can cut the price or introduce a bundle with a free game like Mario Kart, SSBB or Mario galaxy. Or keep the same price and introduce new colors...

Nintendo still has a lot of cards. Sony and Microsoft already used all the almost all their cards.

You're kidding me, right? Nintendo practically started the trend of bundles this generation. It kind of makes your argument go down the drain...

What???

Tell me what Wii bundle Nintendo has released besides the Wii with Wii Sports ?

PS3 has the official Hot Shot Golf bundle, the Movie Pack, the Starter Pack, the GTA bundle, the Spider Man Bundle, the Motorstorm bundle, MGS4 bundle, Gran Turismo bundle, Dinasty Warrior bundle... practically they are giving away free games.

The only Nintendo bundles you see on stores or online sites are the ones made by the retailer, because the Wii demand is high and people is willing to pay an overpriced bundle.

http://images.google.com.mx/images?hl=es&q=ps3%20bundle&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

Fernando said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@Fernando

SONY's first Big card comes out in 4 days..

M$ has though used up its biggest card.... Halo 3

And still, PS3 will not outsell the Wii this month.

when the PS3 is at $250, then we'll see it outsell the Wii

And why can it not last Munkeh?

Nintendo can prolong the release of the Wii 2 until 2014, because the Wii is the fastest-selling, most popular console ever known. If Ninty decides to release the Wii 2 earlier, it will have sold at least 100 million after year 5. I think at least 30-40 million people would still want it afterwards. I think the Wii will die off in 2016.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
And why can it not last Munkeh?

Nintendo can prolong the release of the Wii 2 until 2014, because the Wii is the fastest-selling, most popular console ever known. If Ninty decides to release the Wii 2 earlier, it will have sold at least 100 million after year 5. I think at least 30-40 million people would still want it afterwards. I think the Wii will die off in 2016.

Because I feel that the Wii will slow down after this year, and after a few years, Nintendo will make an HD wii 2 with better motion sensing stuff maybe head trackings, and massively increase sales without really doing that much to the console

Around the Network

What a ridiculous claim. You have no evidence to back up any of that, Munkeh. Where has Nintendo ever indicated that they plan to release an HD Wii? And why WOULD they when the Wii is at an unparalleled high sales level? What is the origin for this "feeling" of yours? Is it just because you want it to be true? Because let me tell you, if what people wanted to be true drove technology, then we'd all be playing our games on the latest Atari systems...

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

blazinhead89 said:
Fernando said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@Fernando

SONY's first Big card comes out in 4 days..

M$ has though used up its biggest card.... Halo 3

And still, PS3 will not outsell the Wii this month.

when the PS3 is at $250, then we'll see it outsell the Wii

But according to you PS3 fanboys (you can read a lot of old posts) the $400 dlls for a PS3 is a lot value. It has Bluray, WiFi, etc, etc.... and yet, people want the PS3 to drop price, again. So, people is not seeing a lot of value.

And according to some of you guys, the Wii is overpriced at $250, but yet, the people buy Wii's at $400, the same price as the PS3.

Besides, price is not a factor. The Gamecube was a much powerful and cheaper console than the PS2, and people bought the PS2 more, even with a higer price and a less powerful hardware.

Sky Render said:
What a ridiculous claim. You have no evidence to back up any of that, Munkeh. Where has Nintendo ever indicated that they plan to release an HD Wii? And why WOULD they when the Wii is at an unparalleled high sales level? What is the origin for this "feeling" of yours? Is it just because you want it to be true? Because let me tell you, if what people wanted to be true drove technology, then we'd all be playing our games on the latest Atari systems...

I think Wii sales will decline after this year, because they will unlikely ever have another period with SSBB, Wii fit and MK Wii equivalents. In a few years HDTV levels will be much higher, and so obviously more people can take advantage of the HD, and so it would make sense to make one. + if they can just do a few little changes and make people buy a new console, then I think that is good business

A product's value to a consumer determines its sales. Price drops are just an artificial means to boost sales; the effects are never permanent, always stop-gap, and often have immediate repercussions once their effects wear off. At $250, the PS3 would briefly experience higher sales, but guess what? It would drop off to even lower numbers than it had before the boost in sales. The reason is simple: the PS3's value to the average consumer is not nearly high enough to justify buying it even at $250.

I guess this idea is difficult for some technology-savvy people to grasp, but to most people, products are tools to accomplish a specific task. The better they accomplish that one task, the more value people attribute to them. Extraneous features will not help sell a product to an average consumer; they buy it for what it's supposed to do primarily. The PS3 is a game-playing system, its job is to play video games. This is also the Wii's job. All else (graphical presentation, audio presentation, extra features, etc.) is moot, the most important selling point is how well they do their job of letting a person enjoy a game. The Wii does a better job than the PS3 at this, because it offers more diverse and accessible means of playing. This is not the technophile's viewpoint, this is the normal consumer's viewpoint. And the normal consumer far outnumbers the technophile.

So yes, even though it uses less expensive components and costs less to build, the Wii has greater value than the feature-crammed PS3 does to a normal consumer.

So essentially, Munkeh, you're banking on 1.) Nintendo not being able to design any more good games for the Wii, 2.) normal people spontaneously caring about HD even though most do not, and 3.) Nintendo totally abandoning their blue ocean strategy and their disruption to go back to compete in the red ocean of the existing console market, even though last time they were in a red ocean market, they almost got knocked out of business. Your reasoning baffles me, as it conflicts with reality on every significant point.