By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - HD games are just not fun

Kasz216 said:
DMeisterJ said:
Sarcasm aside, I'd like to give this thread a realistic response, as if KoW was actually delusional.

There are games that look and play good. Resistance, Uncharted, CoD4, Ratchet + Clank, Gears, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, SMG, SSBB, etc.

You don't have to have an ugly game to be good. Great graphics and gameplay exist.

Sure, but you can't deny that every dollar spent towards graphics is a dollar that can't be spent on things like story and gameplay.

This is less troublesome for established franchises like Gran Turismo 5.

However it is troublesome for new IPs and helps cause the problem of games being cookie cutter.

It's why the HD consoles seem better for legacy titles where you wouldn't even want to change the gameplay.

While the Wii seems better for new IPs.

I mean lets take Gran Turismo it takes one designer 6 months to make a car.

Gran Turismo should have like.... 700 cars at the minimium unless they cut a lot out. That's like 350 years of work for graphic designers. That's ridiculiously expensive.

If Gran Turismo 5 didn't already have it's super realistic driving controls how much money would they actually have left for those? How good would those controls actually turn out?

Well, Wii has Mario Kart and SSBB... two of the biggest title this year, and would be classified by you as "legacy titles".

Personally, I think HD consoles have better new IPs than Wii. Feel free to disagree and list them all. 

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

Let me fix your thread title for you...

"HD games that lean on their graphical prowess to the detriment of other games aspects are just not fun"

Or what Kasz216 said.

@Kasz

only flaw is right now PS3 has the MOST & BEST New IP's

two of which are blockbuster 3 million sellers

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Oh yh crap graphics 4 da win lol

The legend of zelda says hello

DMeisterJ said:
Kasz216 said:
DMeisterJ said:
Sarcasm aside, I'd like to give this thread a realistic response, as if KoW was actually delusional.

There are games that look and play good. Resistance, Uncharted, CoD4, Ratchet + Clank, Gears, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, SMG, SSBB, etc.

You don't have to have an ugly game to be good. Great graphics and gameplay exist.

Sure, but you can't deny that every dollar spent towards graphics is a dollar that can't be spent on things like story and gameplay.

However it is troublesome for new IPs and helps cause the problem of games being cookie cutter.

It's why the HD consoles seem better for legacy titles where you wouldn't even want to change the gameplay.

Gran Turismo should have like.... 700 cars at the minimium unless they cut a lot out. That's like 350 years of work for graphic designers. That's ridiculiously expensive.

If Gran Turismo 5 didn't already have it's super realistic driving controls how much money would they actually have left for those? How good would those controls actually turn out?

True true, but new franchises (Resistance, Uncharted, Gears, Mass Effect, and Lost Odyssey have somehow managed to be able to be new IPs have good gameplay, and good graphics.

Yeah it can happen its just harder.

Resistance was a pretty mediocre shooter if you ask me, but ok.

Uncharted was successful not through innovation so much as "stealing" things that worked from many other different games. (and movies) It wasn't a case of inspiration so much as persperation.

Mass Effect was built off the back of Biowares other RPGs, it was a new IP but a spiritual successor of games like Jade Empire and KOTOR with the gameplay tweaked to focus range. Not much was needed on the gameplay front.

Lost Odessy didn't change much gameplay wise. (or story wise for a JRPG.)

Gears was just great all around. It had to be. It was more then a game, it was an advertisement for the unreal engine.

Note also, that all these games were games that had HUGE budgets.

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
Kasz216 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Well, Wii has Mario Kart and SSBB... two of the biggest title this year, and would be classified by you as "legacy titles".

SSBB added on a great number of things to the fray.  You'd wonder if all the new options would of been added if each character model cost way more money.  It does show I guess the occasional point where even established games can get better with more focused on gameplay, but most of the added stuff was add on features that wouldn't of been missed had it been on PS360.

Haven't played MKWii, but my main problem with that is it seems like they changed too much.  Well just the battle mode.  Damn bastards changing the battle mode.

darthdevidem01 said:
@Kasz

only flaw is right now PS3 has the MOST & BEST New IP's

two of which are blockbuster 3 million sellers

I disagree... and the only 3 million seller the PS3 has is Motorstorm (which is a horrible game.).

Unless your combining sales.

Furthermore new Ips cost more to make now a days. How much do you think Haze set back Free Radical for example.

Lets take a look at what i'd consider the most successful new IP.

Assassain's Creed.

What was AC knocked for in the reveiws despite being a great sales success? The gameplay was too repetitive and there were numerous flaws in the programming.

Surely these problems will be resolved by AC2.

However what would of been better for the gamer? If AC was as is... or if it looked less impressive, had less areas, but had less repetitive combat, and didn't have any of the silly programming errors. 

Furthermore look at a game like No More Heroes.  An amazing game made with absolutely no budget.  Why because their wasn't any bs "pre-requisite" of graphics that you had to meet before your game was deemed acceptable.

Im a purist Wii player. Gameplay >>>>>> X1000 Graphics.

*I play with the screen off so as not to be distracted from the gameplay*

Tease.

triple post ^^^

@Kas

Motorstorm was WOW!!..your wrong

Resistance needs 100K to get to 3 million

uncharted are is critically acclaimed....uncharted is at 89% on Gamerankings

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey