By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - First 2 months on sale - a comparison

For those who keep saying the wii is going to be out in 2-3 years, lets look at how well the wii is compared to other consoles after the first 2 months...US&JP only. * = has or did have greatest market share. GBA 3.5m * DS 3.1m * Wii 2.6m PS 2.6m * PS2 2.4m * XB 1.8m GC 1.6m N64 1.7m DC 1.4m PS3 1.3m PSP .8m 360 .8m * Umm, the way I see it Wii has a very good chance of becoming dominant and thus not ending in 2-3 years. More likely after 6-7 for WiiHD as that will coincide with the time majority of tv owners will have HD sets.

Around the Network

I agree, but maybe you should put a topic next time so that non-nerd people can actually read what you have to say?

Sale of Wii will collapse sooner than later. Piece of crap - nothing more than GC + weird controller. There is no space for any normal games on this system. You want stunning FPP - no way, real fight game like Tekken or VF - sorry, extreme racing - forget about it, huge world to explore like in GTA... only some old school stuff. Appearance IS important.

Where did you get your PS1 figures from??

kber81 said: Sale of Wii will collapse sooner than later. Piece of crap - nothing more than GC + weird controller. There is no space for any normal games on this system. You want stunning FPP - no way, real fight game like Tekken or VF - sorry, extreme racing - forget about it, huge world to explore like in GTA... only some old school stuff. Appearance IS important.
The sale of everything electronics based eventually falters, as new things come along. Think your precious non-Wii non-piece of crap will survive past another generation? Think again. You're part of a frigid minority of gamers (if you're even a gamer) who cavalierly dismiss the potential of the Wii by saying 'normal' games can't be played on it. Expressing your opinion (distaste) is one thing, but you've just invited a flame fest upon yourself. Enjoy.

R9 5950x - RTX 3090 - Odyssey G9

Around the Network

That data is interesting. But, you have to remember each of those consoles did not launch at the same time of year. As for the Wii being crap..consider two things - Sony's 'six-axis' - the Nintendo DS Sony would not have put the six-axis in if it believed no potential could be found in 3d motion. Second, the Wii will be able to handle 'normal' games. Game Cube controllers, and the classic controllers will work well for intense fighting games (although MK will use the Wii-mote). Other 'big' games like RPGs, Shooters, Racing (use it like a steering wheel), Party games, can all be catered to with the Wii-mote. Sports games may require more creativity, although as long as football, soccer, and baseball are effectively reproduced, the Wii will not lose much market in Japan, America or Europe. Obviously though, the true draw is in new genres and the additions to old ones. Assuming developers have some imagination, I suspect Wii will have excercise games, excellent dancing games, and an ecclectic collection of noir games (cooking, hunting, flight simulators, surgery, 'simon says', historically based war games with swords, bows and arrows, sling shots, boomerangs, sex-interface games, and even games that train how to 'play' real sports in Japan). This is similar to how New Super Mario Brothers on the DS makes effectively no use of the touch screen, while many other genres and games do. It is just that the draw of the DS and the Wii is that they offer additional ways to play, instead of just traditional ways.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Innovalias said: You're part of a frigid minority of gamers (if you're even a gamer) who cavalierly dismiss the potential of the Wii by saying 'normal' games can't be played on it.
Hmm, there is no potential in Wii. I mean normal games with "modern" graphics and so on. I just can't imagine playing in Red Steel or Wii's Far Cry when there are Gears of War and Resistance on the market. Wii is weak already - what would we say in 2008. This is good for girl's parties not for playing real stuff

kber81 said:Hmm, there is no potential in Wii. I mean normal games with "modern" graphics and so on. I just can't imagine playing in Red Steel or Wii's Far Cry when there are Gears of War and Resistance on the market. Wii is weak already - what would we say in 2008. This is good for girl's parties not for playing real stuff
Again... there will be games with great graphics on Wii, at least Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy and Umbrella Chronicles. It's just a matter of optimizing the code. Think about Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube, Wii is capable for twice as good. If you want superb graphics, you have to have an HD-TV to get the full effect of HD-games. I just don't think average people will pay thousands of dollars for super pretty games. Maybe in 10 years the HD-TVs will be in majority, but for this generation, I think Nintendo made the right desicion conserning profitability.

kber81 said: Innovalias said: You're part of a frigid minority of gamers (if you're even a gamer) who cavalierly dismiss the potential of the Wii by saying 'normal' games can't be played on it. Hmm, there is no potential in Wii. I mean normal games with "modern" graphics and so on. I just can't imagine playing in Red Steel or Wii's Far Cry when there are Gears of War and Resistance on the market. Wii is weak already - what would we say in 2008. This is good for girl's parties not for playing real stuff
Well it is nice that you states two games that got a lot of bad press because they did really bad work. I would say that what I have seen in game movies is that Super Mario Galaxy and Metroid shows that good graphics is possible. Even Sonic seems to have potentional. So you can play "real" stuff. But most of all I think you are making a statemant from you own view, you are clearly an harcore gamer that love beutifull graphics. Well I aren't. I am a casual gamer that like arcade style gaming. I do think that there is many persons that is like me that just want good enough graphics for a good price. The ps3 is a great machine but to expensive for me and my gaming buget. I do think that Nintendo will use aggresive price cuts to sustain a good sale rate, and therfore win people that like me that can't understand why they should spend all that money on a gaming system. So if the sales keep on going well under 2007 I can see that it will stay out on the market for at least 5 years. Of course this is hard to say, but at least in Japan the system seller is Wii Sport, which has worse graphics than the Cube.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

Sorry, I think Red Steel was a much better game than people give it credit for, and a lot more original that most other FPS games.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.