By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are the controls in Legend of Zelda:TP criticised?

LordTheNightKnight said:
Grey Acumen said:
Faxanadu said:
I hate the arrow shooting mechanics while riding the horse. sucks so hard that I got frustrated in that stupid burining wagon task I completely gave up on Zelda: TP.

Never have returned, probably will never.

Could you imagine trying to do that using the old N64 controls though? It'd be impossible :P Obviously you CAN do it using the gamecube controls, but I can't even imagine how much trouble that would have to be.

Well the GC version makes it easier, since you just do lock-ons.

The Wii version also has lock-on functionality, but the IR works so well for most tasks that you tend to forget that you can lock-on.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

The controls where nice, first time I hear they were criticized...

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

I haven't heard many people complain about the controls.

Personally, I think they were pretty mediocre. They didn't add much to the equation but they weren't bad either. The best parts involved using the Wiimote for aiming. Definitely the strongest point of the control system.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I think the sword controls got alot of flak because with a large number of enemies around or if you needed to cut down some shrub to grab a few rupies it was just hold the analog to run and swing your wiimote in each and every direction.

I enjoyed the bow shooting, but sword play just sucked. If I swing up, Link swings to the side, if I swing the wiimote in a circle, Link swings to the side and would you guess it... if I swing to the side, Link swings to the side.

I think with all the hype of the motion controls people were expecting more of Swing up and Link swings up, swing left and he swings left, swing right and he swings right, etc...

Also what nordlead said. On GC Link swings with his left hand, on the Wii he swings with his right.

Overall still a good games, but sometimes it caused me to lose interest in the game. First time ever for me personally with a Zelda game. In the Sky Temple the controls were horrid until the boss battle with the double hookshot. :)

The same way how many people dislike fighting controls for games like DBZ and/or Naruto. Just swing both arms violently the entire match and hope you win.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

The controls were pretty great. There was only one time where I had a lot of problems with them and that was at the end of The City in the Sky.... the boss fight is epic BUT double clawshotting onto the dragon is really, really difficult.. if I remember correctly, I had to change the configuration to be able to do it.

Around the Network
damkira said:

The controls were pretty great. There was only one time where I had a lot of problems with them and that was at the end of The City in the Sky.... the boss fight is epic BUT double clawshotting onto the dragon is really, really difficult.. if I remember correctly, I had to change the configuration to be able to do it.

Oddly even with me hating the sword attacks with the Wiimote, I loved the double hookshot battle. Very eay battle if you use auto aim. Although HATED The City in the Sky. That damn place caused me to stop playing for like 4 months.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:

I think the sword controls got alot of flak because with a large number of enemies around or if you needed to cut down some shrub to grab a few rupies it was just hold the analog to run and swing your wiimote in each and every direction.

I enjoyed the bow shooting, but sword play just sucked. If I swing up, Link swings to the side, if I swing the wiimote in a circle, Link swings to the side and would you guess it... if I swing to the side, Link swings to the side.

I think with all the hype of the motion controls people were expecting more of Swing up and Link swings up, swing left and he swings left, swing right and he swings right, etc...

Also what nordlead said. On GC Link swings with his left hand, on the Wii he swings with his right.

Overall still a good games, but sometimes it caused me to lose interest in the game. First time ever for me personally with a Zelda game. In the Sky Temple the controls were horrid until the boss battle with the double hookshot. :)

The same way how many people dislike fighting controls for games like DBZ and/or Naruto. Just swing both arms violently the entire match and hope you win.

In other words, people criticise the controls because it's not close to 1:1.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Because the GCN version kicks the Wii version's ass.

Oh yeah, it was totally because of Link swinging his sword with his right hand instead of his left, that totally ruined any great experience that might ever have been had. It completely destroyed the entire game.

... right.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Faxanadu said:
I hate the arrow shooting mechanics while riding the horse. sucks so hard that I got frustrated in that stupid burining wagon task I completely gave up on Zelda: TP.

Never have returned, probably will never.

That's why you Z-target. And even if you don't, it honestly isn't so bad once you realize your horse is merely on cruise control leaving you to pan around.  

The wagon task was pretty hard though,but don't get discourage you whuss. ;)

On topic, I thought both the bow and sword mechanics were solid, but disliked using waggle to attack as Wolf Link.

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles fan for life. <3