By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ok so I'm officially dissapointed in Brawl.

Before I get into this, I wanna say that I genuinely HATE sounding like a fanboy, so please take into consideration that I'm a MASSIVE Melee fanboy.

I sat down and played brawl two days ago and it's been the first time that I've tried out some of my old characters, (the other two times I've played I tried random characters lol). So it was essentially the first time I got a feel for the game.

What the hell happened here :(

Is it me or did they slow this game down about 33% compared to Melee? I couldn't connect crap for combo's with MANY of the characters, and Game and Watch and Ganon in particular feel like they're litterally chugging along. Needless to say I'm going to have to completely re-learn Fox, not a single combo set from melee seemed to work in Brawl, keep in mind I'll say seemed since I need to adjust.

I think it was the stage, but I was playing on some glacier, and ganon seemed to take literally forever and a half to fall, I mean were talking as slow if not slower than any iteration of Samus, what the fudge? Please someone tell me it was the stage. 

What the hell happened to down throws? Whenever I toss my opponent to the floor, they always seem to shoot off to the right or left o.O; Wth? If I wanted to throw them right or left couldn't I just do so myself? A good oponent could roll out of them in melee, but now the game just seems to do it for you, why did they get rid of throw combo's? Laaaame-o

I see the term about Wii's graphics thrown around pretty often and for some reason this game keeps getting brought up as a source to show how amazing the graphics are. I'm sorry, but Galaxy looks far better than this game, this is still a side scroller for god's sake! While the graphics are fine, they're honestly not that much better than melee's. Maybe it was the TV (the tv wasn't HD with a nice range of color) just big and washed, or maybe it's just me. 

All in all I'm glad they added some features like online play and some of the new stages and what not, but I'm not impressed with the additional characters at all, even being a gigantic Sony fanboy I didn't enjoy playing as Snake :(,  the game feels almost too slow for me to play, the physics seem massively adjusted in a very negative way, and they seemed to make it way more casual friendly with the removal of many exploitable combo's. I'd unfortunately say I honestly prefer melee >< and I really don't want to ;-;

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

I didn't really feel like that at all, i also played Melee over 100 h and didn't have any problems at all with combos and stuff. But your right about the speed, i also think they lowered it a bit, but not as much as you claim

That's what had to be done to make it appeal to the casual market. You get used to it, though, it'll be fine.

Ah, and if you feel game and watch is slow, try using his bair air and neutral air to set up combos. ;) 

Brawl FC: 0473 - 7465 - 0612

Whiners!
I have only played it at my friends house but Mario Kart Wii gets our attention more. Bigger chance that we play Melee then Brawl. Its a great game but it does not appeal to me.

yeah, you'll get used to it. Melee is way too fast for me now. and Fox FTW!

And on Summit, the stage you were playing on, when the glacier breaks off of the mountain, gravity is cut in half, so that is why Ganondorf took forever to fall down. 

Around the Network

So you're now officially disappointed?

What kind of disappointed were you before.

It does seem like a little bit of whining though. The biggest thing youre disappointed is in the character changes. Everyone knows that fighting games always have changes to their characters and their moves.

Believe me, the transition from Smash 64 to Melee was so painful for a Kirby player.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

I'm sorry to say that Brawl is not Melee 2.0, just like Melee wasn't Bros. 64 2.0. They're different games with different strategies, not just some expansion pack. So yes, Brawl is somewhat slower than Melee, but faster than 64. But just because you aren't familiar with the game doesn't mean it's inferior. I myself had to change mains because of the changes, but now that I've been practicing, I'm happy to say that I enjoy Brawl a lot more than I did Melee.

And yes, it was the stage.

Wow, Talon you beat me to it - I was just about to look for that thread and said wait, let me scroll do... aww damnit!

Oh well, in case he is a troll err I mean telling the... darn there's no reason to answer this aside from sharing my knowledge.

Brawl is faster than Melee at a point, ie. I use shiek in melee fairly well I'd say - I do a lot of shffling and I love to use pressure games and fair kills off of shffl's in brawl the idea is shffl but now with the juggle addition, to keep the same routine going you need to do cross overs and juggles, in other words with shiek I have to keep the target in DI and check him/her at each point.

Some characters it's harder to keep in this lock than others (floaty characters are annoying. But the speed element is there. It's really down to timing.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

lol I don't really mean to sound like an eletist or anything, but my friends and I have easily dumped over 500h's into melee and in our prime we were "competiiton" grade players :/ we were like super nerdy over melee lol. This game feels MUCH slower.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.