By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony announce in-game advertising

MaximumOptimus:

I have said countless times that I will buy a PS3 (after a slim version, MGS4, LBP, FFXIII and RE5 are released) So it should be quite clear that I do not want the PS3 to fail.

So to go into detail about why I said what I said.

Alot of movies and television shows have completely sold out to the companies that advertise with them. It started out subtle, having characters drink Coca cola or what have you, however now it is becoming increasingly blatant, and I believe this had destroyed the integrity of these media.

I do not wish to see the same happen to video gaming, which is having enough trouble being recognised as an art form in the same way that movies and music are.

So, after you take back you description of me as a fanboy, we must consider - "how can we ensure that this advertising remains subtle, and does not ruin otherwise great games"

Imperial: I tire of you, you happen to like Playstation developers more than Nintendo developers... Good for you, now leave.

Around the Network
scottie said:
Too all PS3 owners, I'm sorry to hear that.

Your game designers are now the advertiser's bitches.

Massive Incorporated is an advertising company that provides software and services to dynamically host advertisements within video games. Massive Incorporated was purchased by Microsoft in May 2006 for approximately $200 million to $400 million. [1][2]

The service, collectively known as The Massive Network, allows game developers to place advertisements within video games by providing a software development kit (SDK) and servers to host advertisements to be streamed to clients when the game is played. The streaming of advertisements allows old advertisements to be removed and more contextual ones applied in their place. Where games such as Need For Speed: Most Wanted had static advertisements for Cingular and Burger King[3], advertisements supplied by a streaming network allow more temporary ads such as movie or TV show posters. Both the publisher and Massive can then continue to make money after the game has been sold.

The software is made so as to capture the proper demographic: it would be a problem to advertise an R-rated movie in an G-rated game or to place advertisements that conflict with a game's genre.

First, placement and layout of the advertisements is planned by the developers with help from Massive. Advertisements can be any texture, but to maintain realism, advertisements are generally placed on objects such as posters, billboards, storefronts, and other likely mediums. Massive calls this "Phase I: Design of the Inventory Elements."

Second, the SDK is integrated with the game to act as a client to Massive's ad servers. It allows the game to fetch the ad, display it on a surface, and analyze how the player acts around it. Massive refers to this as "Phase II: Integration of the Software Development Kit (SDK)."

Third is self-explanatory, "Phase III: Testing & Support." These are the software testing and deployment steps.

Video games have in the past generally been seen as an ad-free medium by gamers. With the deployment of in-game advertising, especially by a major corporation, this so-thought "refuge" has been "invaded."

Another argument leveled at in-game advertising is the cost of a single video game. While the ticket price of a movie is usually under $10 US, most games cost $50 US or more. However, a counterargument is that movies generally last about 2 hours while a game can provide tens or hundreds of hours of gameplay.

One of the major problems with any in-game advertising is its current pervasiveness. It will likely take some time to find a level at which the advertising still makes an impact while not detracting from the feeling of the game. Poorly-placed or overplaced advertisements will break the suspension of disbelief.

Some of the most blatant of Massive's advertising can be seen in the free version of Anarchy Online, where gigantic billboards are posted all over, although there are fewer excuses for free games. A running joke is the "Wanta Fanta" ads in a sci-fi setting.

Many Planetside players also became annoyed when small billboards appeared inside of bases. This was extremely unexpected as Planetside is a pay to play MMOFPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massive_Inc 

Personally the way i see it is in real life you walk down the street you are bombarded with all sorts of ads, So if you see it done in the same way in games it just ads to games realism.

i dont think in game advertising works to well

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Realism is overrated.

Around the Network

ugh... fuck in game advertising

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

brute said:

Do you think those adds on VGCHARTZ work that well?

Ouch. What happened to the good old days of advertising as a joke in a game like Mario Kart games.

konnichiwaa said:
brute said:

Do you think those adds on VGCHARTZ work that well?

no but i think TV advertising is the way to go

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Lol, now all we need is an Ad-Killer game, where you destroy all in game ads!