By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony announce in-game advertising

I guess this is the only way sony can make the PS3 profitable.

At least the ads are in game instead of having advertisements during load times, when that happens it will be a sad, sad day for gaming.

^Guy pissing on Microsoft Sign

UBISOFT BOYCOTT

Around the Network

Unless it is an EA game that I here about in game ads, I don't care. Most developers make games because they love them, not because of money. So they won't let it get intrusive.

legend92 said:

Sony Computer Entertainment today announced the introduction of dynamic in-game advertising for the PlayStation 3.

Marketers interested in placing advertisements in games for PS3 or publishers with available in-game space for advertisements are able to engage through advertisement distribution partners, with IGA Worldwide selected as PS3’s first partner. This partnership will serve to bolster the already rapidly growing worldwide in-game advertising industry, which is expected to grow 1,150 percent to US$971.3 million between 2006 and 2011.
“The PS3 platform is primed to leverage the high growth potential of the in-game advertising market,” said Phil Rosenberg, Senior Vice President, Sony Computer Entertainment America. “Ads that are organic to the environment not only benefit developers and advertisers, but also create a richer experience for gamers.” “PlayStation 3 is undoubtedly the prime opportunity for the in-game advertising industry,” said Justin Townsend, CEO, IGA Worldwide.
“Through this partnership with Sony Computer Entertainment, IGA can provide advertisers with a large and valuable global user base of 16-35 year old consumers with disposable income. With our standardized awareness-building advertising formats being delivered directly into people’s living rooms while they play, there are great opportunities for advertisers looking to engage through an entertainment medium outside of the traditional TV spot.”
Does this mean we can expect the PlayStation 3 version of BioShock to replace The Circus of Values with K-Mart? Or GTA IV's Cluckin' Bell with Burger King? Somehow it's just better when video games parody vast corporate entities, rather than becoming yet another delivery medium for advertising.

LINK

love that quote - doesn't matter what they do they always spin it like it's for your own good. I'm gonna take that approach from now on, next time I drink somebodys pint in a pub i'll just say to them "I did it so you could establish a greater understanding of how much that pint of lager meant to you".

you'd have more respect for them if they came out and said games cost money - this is going to help control those costs but we can ensure that these ads wont ruin the game and they're not put in just to get some advertising in (ie in GTA4 Niko turns around and says "I'll kill him for you, right after i've had my wind-eez - the sweet that unblocks your wind and allows you to concentrate on the job in hand").