By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - When will PS3 Surpass Xbox360?

Gballzack said:

Listen, using the current trend in sales its impossible for the PS3 to surpass the 360, because the 360 is still selling more globally. Sure this might change, but I can't imagine the PS3's sales sky rocketing in any longer term sence over any game.

Current trend? Sure. Trend will change. Only few hundred thousand  will buy PS3 exclusively for one game such like MGS4, FFXIII or Gran Turismo it's true. The real argument is the best game base from all systems. PS3 is the top dog. It gets all third party greatest franchise. X360 can count for some stolen games but PS3 will be the main system. PS3 goes first than X360 port. 

Around the Network

If you're so content with the PS3's games then why do you care about its sales?

I just wanted to mention something about BRAND.

I've worked in retail for seven years (3 1/2 in digital media), and the BEST known brand name is not, in fact, Sony Playstation, but NINTENDO. There is a certain part of the populace, say 27 and over, (from 1980) that either grew up playing Nintendo, or their children did. It is the GRANDFATHER of video game brands. Comparitively, Sony is an upstart brand that cannot compete with the nostalgia factor for many (but not all) older gamers. Sony is really strong with the youngest of gamers, those who never knew another brand, but, generally, they're not the ones who can afford to shell out $600 for a game system.

Overall, Nintendo is the company that BEST capitalizes on Brand name. The sales domination of the underpowerd AND underdeveloped AND overpriced Wii (for what you get, honestly, it is overpriced) is a very strong collaborator of that arguement. Sony is second on Brand, but I don't see it as a huge strength, certainly Sony has a better Brand than MS, but how many $600 systems is that Brand going to move, really? MS easily has the weakest Brand, if they exited the console universe tomorrow, only Halo fans would weep (obviously, 360 owners would be furious, but not saddened, like the loss of a good friend, or a cute lil' puppy).

So yes, Sony does have a better brand than MS. However, they have not positioned themselves to exploit that. As many posters have said, they've done the opposite: high price and almost no games. IF the field were entirely level - that is if the PS3 and the 360 had nearly identical prices and launch dates (specs, as we've seen don't matter nearly as much) PS3 would have blown 360 out of the water by virtue of their Brand and momentum. But Sony priced and dated themselves out of that fight; so what happens now? A floundering PS3, and rampant speculation.

P.S. Price drops and more games cannot now, after the fact, level the field for Sony, as MS can match them tit-for-tat.
P.P.S. How would a worldwide $300 360 (premium) sell? What if they were super-aggressive and dropped the premium to $250 in Japan? (A bargain basement 360 for Japan will either open up the market a little, for MS's good, or continue to not sell, in which case, MS won't lose much money, because they won't be taking losses on very many consoles)

Gballzack said:
If you're so content with the PS3's games then why do you care about its sales?
I'm sure regards success of PS3. Currant sales can't be authoritative. It's just an anomaly. Effect of the interim drought. Why do I care? I have some time to spare right now.

dgm6780 said:
Fractal of Time said:
Why PS3 will surpass?
600-400=200 difference
Both consoles will have a price-drop this year or next year. They won't drop equally with $200 for example. It's possible for PS3, but it's to huge for 360. So 360 could cut with $100. The difference will be smaller overtime.
400-300=100 difference

Ofcourse 360 will be the first at a magical price point of $199. Then again there are no singstar, buzz or that sort of games for massmarket. And there is very very strong competition from Wii. It will be hard to make new franchises for this genre.

You focused on price and not cost.

Cost

XBox 360 + wireless adapter + 2 years online = PS3 (with a bigger HD)

X Box 360 + HDVD player = PS3 (again with bigger HD)

If you look at the cost to get up and running they are nearly the same. It wont take much of a price cut to get

the PS3 to be a BETTER value then X Box 360. Its been said in this thread, but Sony needs to put out a 20GB , no wireless, no memory stick reader version out for $400-$450 immediately. This model would sale near current xbox levels RIGHT NOW! (with the right marketing) well and a game that interests the Japanese.

Yes, I see your cost thing as well, it's just that many people do not want online (I think only 6/10 Xbox users are online) or wi-fi, or HD-DVD, although you do have to remember that the 360 comes with the headset, and the PS3 comes with card readers, but that's irrelevant. What matters is when some mother comes into a store with her young child and says how much is a PlayStation, since the boy has got a PS2, the store guy will say $600, she'll be put off, and not really knowing that if you want everything that the 360 has to offer, she'll opt for that because it's cheaper, and the boy will not get to decide that he wants the one with the good games. This situation probably counts for quite a lot of the market. Of couse, many of these people will decide to just go for the Wii instead.

add me

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
gebx said:

When will PS3 Surpass Xbox360?

NEVER!!!!!!!!

LOL. Some xboys got nervous.

lol!

PS3 sold less 100,000 in NA last month... it's selling less then 9,000/wk in Japan... yeah.. really nervous. 

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

THREAD QUESTION: WHEN WILL PS3 SURPASS XBOX360?!

-We'll then... I'll go ahead and share my vision with the masses:

Q: When will PS3 surpass Xbox360?!

MyA: Iff PS3 continues to sell at this rate it may NEVER(!!!) happen!

Q: When will Wii surpass Xbox360?!

MyA: This year before October, for sure!

Q: Will PS3 pick up speed?!

MyA: Yes it will... Around March 2008... But i believe this will not account for a longlasting trend shifting sales towards the PS3 instead of Xbox360 and Wii... Therefor it is to late cause if sales were to continue like this Wii would have about 17.5 million sales at end 07. And Xbox 360 around 13.5 million... Whilst PS3 might be lucky at 7.5 million... And by then... The decision has already been made for developers! And yeahyeah... I here u guys saying! Don't forget MGS4 FFXIII and what other stuff might come... Yes... I'm not forgetting em! They WILL give PS3 a burst... But they can't carry a loosing system to victory! Look what happened to Zelda the Windwaker or Super mario Sunshine... Or Metroid prime for goodness sake! They did give Gamecube a burst! But it didn't lead em to victory! Period!...

And when i didn't convince you PS3 guys yet...

You guys are saying: When MGS4 comes out and FFXIII comes out somewhere in 2008 they will carry PS3 to victory!

But Mario Galaxy, Metroid prime 3 and Super smash bros Brawl are coming earlier... And so are Halo3 and Too human... So iff i where to think like you guys... Wouldn't those games lead Wii (or Xbox 360... But that seems more unrealistic) To victory?! AND they are coming earlier! So the decision has been made by then for Developers!

-This is all based on my thoughts... Think whatever you want and feel free to believe otherwise. Also... PS3 fans like Blue3... Don't start calling bad names at me cause then i'd just know you guys can't come up with facts that tell prove me wrong! But feel free to try and throw down my statements with good arguments!

Grtz... StarcraftManiac!

THE NETHERLANDS

StarcraftManiac said:

THREAD QUESTION: WHEN WILL PS3 SURPASS XBOX360?!

-We'll then... I'll go ahead and share my vision with the masses:

Q: When will PS3 surpass Xbox360?!

MyA: Iff PS3 continues to sell at this rate it may NEVER(!!!) happen!

Q: When will Wii surpass Xbox360?!

MyA: This year before October, for sure!

Q: Will PS3 pick up speed?!

MyA: Yes it will... Around March 2008... But i believe this will not account for a longlasting trend shifting sales towards the PS3 instead of Xbox360 and Wii... Therefor it is to late cause if sales were to continue like this Wii would have about 17.5 million sales at end 07. And Xbox 360 around 13.5 million... Whilst PS3 might be lucky at 7.5 million... And by then... The decision has already been made for developers! And yeahyeah... I here u guys saying! Don't forget MGS4 FFXIII and what other stuff might come... Yes... I'm not forgetting em! They WILL give PS3 a burst... But they can't carry a loosing system to victory! Look what happened to Zelda the Windwaker or Super mario Sunshine... Or Metroid prime for goodness sake! They did give Gamecube a burst! But it didn't lead em to victory! Period!...

And when i didn't convince you PS3 guys yet...

You guys are saying: When MGS4 comes out and FFXIII comes out somewhere in 2008 they will carry PS3 to victory!

But Mario Galaxy, Metroid prime 3 and Super smash bros Brawl are coming earlier... And so are Halo3 and Too human... So iff i where to think like you guys... Wouldn't those games lead Wii (or Xbox 360... But that seems more unrealistic) To victory?! AND they are coming earlier! So the decision has been made by then for Developers!

-This is all based on my thoughts... Think whatever you want and feel free to believe otherwise. Also... PS3 fans like Blue3... Don't start calling bad names at me cause then i'd just know you guys can't come up with facts that tell prove me wrong! But feel free to try and throw down my statements with good arguments!

Grtz... StarcraftManiac!

Woo hoo! 360 Wins! Close the thread and let's start another "Which Will Win if *blah*blah* " thread!  

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Dude... Is this meant as an attack or are you being ironic?! Cause im being serious here... Just reasoning which results in a post like that.

THE NETHERLANDS

gebx said:

Woo hoo! 360 Wins! Close the thread and let's start another "Which Will Win if *blah*blah* " thread!

You must be a classmate of Neos... another seventeen-year old rebel...