By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wow maybe Sony was right about Blu-ray?

FishyJoe said:
Sony is always right. They can never be wrong.

Seriously, are you guys that brainwashed?

Probably ...

There were tons of people who were cheering how sucessful UMD was (early on) when it was announced that its adoption rate was far faster than DVD. Unfortunately (for UMD) the only people who were interested in UMD were gamers.

Even the slowest selling consoles tend to get bought at a far faster rate (early on) than players for a new movie format ever will, and even the fastest selling consoles tend to get bought at a far slower rate (later on) that the slowest mainstream format ever will. Right now Blu-Ray is selling really well to PS3 fans and videophiles, but I have seen no evidence that shows that the mainstream audience knows or cares what Blu-Ray is.

Around the Network
Dno said:
NJ5 said:
11 million Blu-Ray discs sold LTD doesn't seem impressive at all to me... How many standalone Blu-Ray players have been sold so far?

Prolly not even a million yet but i not sure. if it isa million its a little over. but i could be wrong. i am going of data from last year.

If that's the case the number of discs sold doesn't seem so bad in comparison, but the other statistics in the article might be cherry-picked (the ones with % of Blu-Ray for some movies). 

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

*bleu-ocelot* said:
FishyJoe said:

This isn't about who's right,it's about Sony and Blu-ray's success.I swear,anything good for Sony is turned into a negative.Why? Being defensive?

You're the one getting defensive. I said nothing negative about Sony, just you.

Well ,this shows the Blu Ray numbers are improving.And fast.They are right now at 10% of the market,something some considered impossible as soon as january this year.

Once you have your HDTV and the PS3 the odd thing is pick up the DVD edition if you have both editions available.

I just picked up Troy Extended Edition and I am Legend and the difference in quality is staggering.

As for the console market ,I am pretty sure the PS3 will get very close to the sales of the PS2 once all is said and done.It will for sure reach the PS1 numbers.

As for the Wii beating it ...well ,Nintendo has created its own casual gamer out there with their blue ocean strategy.What should have Sony and the PS3 done about that ?Prohibite Nintendo to create a new market for themselves?Sony will keep its core market and some casual market thanks to Singstar/PsEye/Buzz/etc and thats it.

Neos said:
yawn

Hi Troll :) .

On Topic : Blu-Ray's growth is amazing and it doesn't apear to be slowing down any time soon , the only real barrier I see the owners of Blu-Ray are going to face in it's full implementation is the cost of blu-ray hardware currently players are more exensive than they where last year also taking into consideration that the move from VHS > DVD wasn't as needed as the move from DVD > Blu-Ray the blu-ray association is going to have to give the consumer more incentive to buy into blu-ray.

Around the Network
Neos said:
yawn

Thank you for adding to the discussion

*bleu-ocelot* said:
FishyJoe said:

This isn't about who's right,it's about Sony and Blu-ray's success.I swear,anything good for Sony is turned into a negative.Why? Being defensive?

Its ok i knew this would get some people flaming. I never care about them. If they cant give a little credit when its due then its pointless to argue with them. Facts are in their face... cant teach a blind person to read letters.......

Diomedes1976 said:
Well ,this shows the Blu Ray numbers are improving.And fast.They are right now at 10% of the market,something some considered impossible as soon as january this year.

(...)

Sorry but I don't think it has 10% of the market. What the article says is that the top Blu-Ray movies had 8-10% of their sales in the Blu-Ray format, which is quite different and seems almost like a cherry-picked statistic.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

FishyJoe said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
FishyJoe said:

You're the one getting defensive. I said nothing negative about Sony, just you.

Im talking about this thread in general.

Thank you Sony for BD :). Sony is always right.

End of 2k9

PS3 - 28,000,000

XO - 34,000,000

GT:ProChaoS360