By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wow maybe Sony was right about Blu-ray?

disolitude said:
I'd gladly trade bluray in my ps3 for a dvd player and some glow in the dark stickers...plus a 100 dollar rebate. So I disagree...

You Sir are full of win.

11 million blu-ray players, all must be ps3's.

By the time dvd's are dead, downloadable movies will be the go.

Sony just suck at making formats, bets max, mini disc, umd's etc etc 

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

Around the Network

@ rudyrs

Blu-Ray is going to have a harder time than DVD because it isn't as neccasery however one thing you can't deny is that it is growing and will continue to grow , especialy once the price of the technology goes down.

Diomedes1976 said:
Well ,this shows the Blu Ray numbers are improving.And fast.They are right now at 10% of the market,something some considered impossible as soon as january this year.

Once you have your HDTV and the PS3 the odd thing is pick up the DVD edition if you have both editions available.

I just picked up Troy Extended Edition and I am Legend and the difference in quality is staggering.

As for the console market ,I am pretty sure the PS3 will get very close to the sales of the PS2 once all is said and done.It will for sure reach the PS1 numbers.

As for the Wii beating it ...well ,Nintendo has created its own casual gamer out there with their blue ocean strategy.What should have Sony and the PS3 done about that ?Prohibite Nintendo to create a new market for themselves?Sony will keep its core market and some casual market thanks to Singstar/PsEye/Buzz/etc and thats it.

Um that event has yet to come to fruition. Blu-Ray did not account for 10% of the DVD market as of January 2008. Hell, it doesn't account for 10% of the DVD market currently. And I don't expect that event to occur anytime soon. 

But if everyone wants to believe that Blu Ray is doing so phenomenally...by all means, be my guest.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

FishyJoe said:
Sony is always right. They can never be wrong.

Seriously, are you guys that brainwashed?

Your words some months ago:

VGCHARTZ is always right. It can never be wrong.

Seriously, Are you that brainwashed???

rudyrsr8 said:
Lol 11 million copies of Blue ray is nothing compared to DVD sales, this is so funny, PR at work here.

haha. lack of reading comprehension and logic among forum members is disturbing. Whats being compared is DVD's adoption at this point in its life cycle as compared to Blu-rays adoption at similar points in the life cycle. Factor in many logical variables such as the need for a special TV for Blu-ray (HD capable) compared to DVD's only requairing televisions already in over 100 million homes at the time of DVD's inception we see that Blu-ray is progressing rather nicely. Sure sales of Blu-ray now compared to DVD now are being dwarfed, but just like all technology and business plans you dont live and plan for today you chart toward the future. 

Too bad nintendo didnt invest and put its weight behind Blu-ray or else this place would be in a constant state of orgasm for this tech.

Around the Network
Hephaestos said:
i'm sorry but i don't see the news... software sales increased since last year... well DUH!! there are 11M new PS3s on the market so there are more blue ray players... that does not mean that the format is gaining speed, it just means that people that have the player have bought discs...
Well that and the most attractive PS3 bundle pre GTA was the 3 BR disc bundle....

Movies are not like games, the attach rate should be very high and I don't think that 0.5-1 movie per player is a lot, whatever periode this article is about (I can't understand if it's 4 months or LTD.... if it's LTD, 11M would actually be really low)

These 11 million movies are actually only on the US.If you added the Europe and Japan data it could be much higher.Thing is the numbers are increasing exponentially.

Here is CNN's take on it

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/ptech/06/02/blueray.sales.ap/index.html

Essentially, they point out that right now, people are not willing to pay $400 for BR players and think DVDs look good on HDTV.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

So much misinformation in this thread, it's scary what some of you believe and/or assume. I know many of you guys like Sony and Blu Ray but that doesn't give you a free pass to be blind.

Less than 1 million stand alone Blu Ray units have been sold.

In fact, more HD DVD stand alone units have been sold than standalone Blu Ray units.

A 1:1 sales ratio for Blu Ray movies is pathetic.

Blu Ray movies typically cost within 10% of DVD movies.

Blu Ray movies account on average for 5-6% of movies sold.

Stand alone Blu Ray player uptake is slower than stand alone DVD player uptake.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

misteromar mk4 said:
disolitude said:
I'd gladly trade bluray in my ps3 for a dvd player and some glow in the dark stickers...plus a 100 dollar rebate. So I disagree...

You Sir are full of win.

11 million blu-ray players, all must be ps3's.

By the time dvd's are dead, downloadable movies will be the go.

Sony just suck at making formats, bets max, mini disc, umd's etc etc 

You Sir are full of lose.

Sony ,between those Betamax and UMD ,also had a hand or two into the CD and DVD formats.Maybe you heard somewhat about those ...and now they have anothe winner with the Blu Ray.

Diomedes1976 said:
Hephaestos said:
i'm sorry but i don't see the news... software sales increased since last year... well DUH!! there are 11M new PS3s on the market so there are more blue ray players... that does not mean that the format is gaining speed, it just means that people that have the player have bought discs...
Well that and the most attractive PS3 bundle pre GTA was the 3 BR disc bundle....

Movies are not like games, the attach rate should be very high and I don't think that 0.5-1 movie per player is a lot, whatever periode this article is about (I can't understand if it's 4 months or LTD.... if it's LTD, 11M would actually be really low)

These 11 million movies are actually only on the US.If you added the Europe and Japan data it could be much higher.Thing is the numbers are increasing exponentially.

I don't know about Japan, but I think Blu-Ray adoption is significantly worse in Europe than USA, so I doubt adding Europe and Japan will make it look much better.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957