By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wow maybe Sony was right about Blu-ray?

@ Viper1

but not software^^

Which is what all you xbox fanboys say is most important right?

Around the Network
misteromar mk4 said:
disolitude said:
I'd gladly trade bluray in my ps3 for a dvd player and some glow in the dark stickers...plus a 100 dollar rebate. So I disagree...

You Sir are full of win.

11 million blu-ray players, all must be ps3's.

By the time dvd's are dead, downloadable movies will be the go.

Sony just suck at making formats, bets max, mini disc, umd's etc etc

i dont want to speak to you personally.....but it seems all of the folks NOW switching their tune to downloadable movies were firmly entrenched in HD-DVD's camp and simply just go with the flow to whatever is competeing with Blu-ray regardless of the odds of success or plausibility......not talking about you but speaking on the subject.

Its time for people to just face it. digital distribution will NEVER happen. Sure it would be nice to get HD quality downloads into a nice 100 terabyte box under my TV, but thinking of whats required, the hard drive space, the bandwidth, the large market of folks who arent tech savvy etc.....but it will NEVER replace brick and mortor sales or disc sales. The studios just wont allow it, theres too much money to be mad.

Downloads will 100% no doubt supplement disc sales, as we see my digitcal copy and DisneyFile. Studios are embracing, realistically, the effect and potential of downloadable media....but people that know their shit arent stupid enough to believe downloadable media will EVER in our lifetime trump disc sales.

Diomedes1976 said:
misteromar mk4 said:
disolitude said:
I'd gladly trade bluray in my ps3 for a dvd player and some glow in the dark stickers...plus a 100 dollar rebate. So I disagree...

You Sir are full of win.

You Sir are full of lose.

Sony ,between those Betamax and UMD ,also had a hand or two into the CD and DVD formats.Maybe you heard somewhat about those ...and now they have anothe winner with the Blu Ray.

No...you just suck at making posts

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

The thing about bluray is that its great technology. Its awesome to have a 50 GB storage capacity on a optical media... what isn't aweosme is that they are trying to push this technology on the normal/average consumer. The technology will come to light when its affordable enough and ready for the mainstream.

I suspect it will have far move practical use in the computer world than in the Movie world as Indiana Jones:the crystal skull is an average movie no matter what resolution you watch it at...

But Sony should have waited for the mainstream push until they could give us blank disks for 5 bucks a pop and burners for 100 bucks.

@ FishyJoe )

In other words your single objective with your first post was to insult a user ? Wow, you're a nice mod.

Around the Network
steverhcp02 said:
misteromar mk4 said:
disolitude said:

You Sir are full of win.

i dont want to speak to you personally.....but it seems all of the folks NOW switching their tune to downloadable movies were firmly entrenched in HD-DVD's camp and simply just go with the flow to whatever is competeing with Blu-ray regardless of the odds of success or plausibility......not talking about you but speaking on the subject.

Its time for people to just face it. digital distribution will NEVER happen. Sure it would be nice to get HD quality downloads into a nice 100 terabyte box under my TV, but thinking of whats required, the hard drive space, the bandwidth, the large market of folks who arent tech savvy etc.....but it will NEVER replace brick and mortor sales or disc sales. The studios just wont allow it, theres too much money to be mad.

Downloads will 100% no doubt supplement disc sales, as we see my digitcal copy and DisneyFile. Studios are embracing, realistically, the effect and potential of downloadable media....but people that know their shit arent stupid enough to believe downloadable media will EVER in our lifetime trump disc sales.

I think you are wrong...because you are talking movies. Gaming world is different... I'm already downlaoding 2 gig demos for my ps3 and waiting another 15 mins for them to install. Why couldn't I download 8 gig games in 2-3 years? Most PC games that are pushing over 20 gigs can be zipped down to a dvd9 if they come in an install file... So if they made a mandatory hard drive in next gen console systems (larger the better), with madatory game installs, you really don't need bluray media for gaming. If youre talking movies...maybe you are right...

steverhcp02 said:
rudyrsr8 said:
Lol 11 million copies of Blue ray is nothing compared to DVD sales, this is so funny, PR at work here.

haha. lack of reading comprehension and logic among forum members is disturbing. Whats being compared is DVD's adoption at this point in its life cycle as compared to Blu-rays adoption at similar points in the life cycle. Factor in many logical variables such as the need for a special TV for Blu-ray (HD capable) compared to DVD's only requairing televisions already in over 100 million homes at the time of DVD's inception we see that Blu-ray is progressing rather nicely. Sure sales of Blu-ray now compared to DVD now are being dwarfed, but just like all technology and business plans you dont live and plan for today you chart toward the future. 

Too bad nintendo didnt invest and put its weight behind Blu-ray or else this place would be in a constant state of orgasm for this tech.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/09/01/137211

After what some deemed a slow start, Sony is now claiming that they've sold slightly more than 17 Million UMDs since the launch of the PSP. 9 Million of these discs have been games, with just over 8 Million UMD movies. From the article:

"Current manufacturing lines are stretched to the max - Bob Hurley, with Sony DADC, says that Sony is churning out 200,000 UMDs a day and future capacity is expected to be 500,000 per day. 'Tiger Woods Golf is my personal favorite [game], but video has been surprisingly good to us,' says Hurley. In a few years Sony expect videos to be more than 60 percent of all UMD sales, with an expected 130 million UMDs being sold in 2008."

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/09/19/170211

1up is running a piece examining Hollywood's relationship with Sony's UMD format. From the article:

"Two UMD movies sold 100,000 units within two months. By contrast, one of the earliest DVD releases, Air Force One, took nine to achieve the same goal. DVD and ticket sales are on the decline, Hollywood needs a new source of revenue while they pick up the pieces, and PSP's handheld UMD format is turning into the glowing solution."

Relatedly, Next Generation is running an article taking a look at the increasing quality of original games coming out for Sony's handheld. From the article:

"After an embarrassingly slow start, the PSP has begun to find its niche with developers; likewise, Sony's internal studios and publishing division have gotten really adventuresome lately, with big and little games, both in tested genres and genres those games serve to test."

DVD had a lot going against its rapid adoption, players started out at over $1000, laserdisc was a very similar format and was widly considered a failure, it lacked many of the features of the format it was replacing (recording), and it wasn't included in a mainstream consumer device (read gaming console) for several years after it was released. Basically, most formats will have faster early adoption to DVD.

disolitude said:
The thing about bluray is that its great technology. Its awesome to have a 50 GB storage capacity on a optical media... what isn't aweosme is that they are trying to push this technology on the normal/average consumer. The technology will come to light when its affordable enough and ready for the mainstream.

I suspect it will have far move practical use in the computer world than in the Movie world as Indiana Jones:the crystal skull is an average movie no matter what resolution you watch it at...

But Sony should have waited for the mainstream push until they could give us blank disks for 5 bucks a pop and burners for 100 bucks.

1. cant lower the price if no one buys it.

2.Normal Average customer are not buying it yet so whos forcing you? i never saw sony put a gun to your head.

3.Have you seen Indy? has the most prettest forests and tress and backgrounds and waterfalls i have ever seen. Any person who says It will look like the DVD clearly has a standard def TV set. and no 5.1 or 7.1.

4. Again lower price only comes when people buy it. (or in HD-dvds case when they dont). The price will come down then you can buy it.

I love it when people say sony is forcing you lol. You have a ps2, wii, 360, psp, DS, to chose from to play your games. DONT buy a ps3 if you dont want one........

mid-May, said spokeswoman Melissa O'Brien. That's cheaper than most alternatives but a hefty price hike from a typical $50 DVD player.

The format also faces sales challenges that DVDs did not when they took over from VHS in the late 1990s. It doesn't save any space compared to DVD, and there's no need to replace a DVD collection even once you buy a Blu-ray player because it will play your old discs.

There also is a proliferation of direct-to-home offerings appearing on cable, satellite and the Internet that threaten to stop Blu-ray growth in its tracks. Blu-ray backers say, however, consumers prefer physical copies of movies over virtual ones, especially when some online rental services impose a time limit.

And Blu-ray's adoption curve is similar to -- maybe even faster than -- that of DVDs, backers say. Blu-ray players, now available for three years, cost $100 less than DVD players did at a comparable point in their life cycle, said Dorinda Marticorena, a senior vice president at Warner Home Video, a unit of Time Warner Inc.

"DVD was exactly the same thing. Players were expensive and there were not many titles. Lo and behold, the awareness went up and demand went up," said Andy Parsons, chair of the association's U.S. promotion committee. "It'll happen in good time."

Blu-ray still has a long, uphill climb. Last year, more than 101 million U.S. households could play DVDs, compared to 3.7 million that could play Blu-ray discs, including those with PlayStation 3 consoles, according to Adams.

But that's double the 1.6 million DVD devices that were in U.S. households in 1998, the comparable second year they were available. By the end of 2008, 14.4 million U.S. households are expected to be Blu-ray compatible, compared to the 9.4 U.S. million households that could play DVDs in year three.

@Dno

I can't play MGS4 without buying a bluray player. I call that forcing it on a consumer.

Indy may have pretty trees but HD can't mast the lackluster story and 2 dimensional characters.