By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wow maybe Sony was right about Blu-ray?

*bleu-ocelot* said:
disolitude said:
I'd gladly trade bluray in my ps3 for a dvd player and some glow in the dark stickers...plus a 100 dollar rebate. So I disagree...

Why do you feel that way?=/

Cause it doesn't add anything to gaming...my gaming atleast. I download all movies and havent rented one in a few years...

I don't mind having games on 2 disks or more as well as I used to have a gamecube.

It just seems like a pointless accessory that is meant to help another market...and I'm paying for it.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
disolitude said:
I'd gladly trade bluray in my ps3 for a dvd player and some glow in the dark stickers...plus a 100 dollar rebate. So I disagree...

Cause it doesn't add anything to gaming...my gaming atleast. I download all movies and havent rented one in a few years...

I don't mind having games on 2 disks or more as well as I used to have a gamecube.

It just seems like a pointless accessory that is meant to help another market...and I'm paying for it.

So you think developers will want to use DvD9's forever?Why take away convenience,because of a few bucks.You pay the same for 360 games,with inferior tech.

if you think this is good news wait for the promotion that walmart and amazon will have this fall for blu ray leading to xmass

Dno said:
@Tuoyo
I love how people blame sony lol. Nintendo came out of the gate booming with sales. i dont think There is anything anyone could of done to stop it.

(i was working at Gamestop i remeber)

We have to give Nintendo their dues but we can't pretend Sony's actions didn't play a part.  In this case we are talking about Blu-Ray so I will point out how it contributed to Nintendo's success.  If not for Blu-Ray PS3 would have launched around the same period as 360 and could have launched at around $300.  By the time Wii came out there would already have been a ton of PS3s sold and PS3 might have been the cool thing to buy for the vast number of people who just buy whatever is the new cool thing. 

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

*bleu-ocelot* said:
disolitude said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
disolitude said:

So you think future games will be able to run on DvD9's forever?

No...but I'm already downloading xbox 1 games on 360 and GT5p and 1.5 gig ps3 demos on ps3. This gen obviously works with DVD9 thus far. Next gen I see consoles having much bigger hard drives, and having 1 or 2 DVD9 disks as an install file as well as digital downloads for the lucky ones that are able to download these games. Kinda like PC and Steam service...

I mean, I'd take the bluray with open arms if the cost was under 299 when the system launched...but forcing me to buy a 40 gig and losing backwards compatibility for the sake of a disk media is just wrong in my eyes...being a gamer and all. If I was a video quality junkie...I may have a different opinion.

Around the Network

Yer i have 17 blu-ray movies. The best encoding and clearest movies on blu-ray really jump out at you like someone who is out of focus suddenly getting a pair of glasses.
Most of my disks i have gotten on BTGO sales or discounted and they have cost only about the same as a new DVD would cost me !
Many places seem to still charge a premium - shop around i say. Though I dont mind paying a little more the image quality makes it well worth it.

PS3 number 1 fan

Clearly Blu is picking up steam, but 11 million total isn't all that impressive IMO. If that 11 million includes all of the 'buy a player and get 5 free', pack-ins, and all the other freebies, it's even less impressive. There are a number of DVD titles that have easily sold that many units for just one title and not an entire format. For Blu to really succeed, they need to get the stand-alones below $199 this holiday... that will probably begin to bring the sales Sony hopes for in media...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

disolitude said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
disolitude said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
disolitude said:

So you think future games will be able to run on DvD9's forever?

No...but I'm already downloading xbox 1 games on 360 and GT5p and 1.5 gig ps3 demos on ps3. This gen obviously works with DVD9 thus far. Next gen I see consoles having much bigger hard drives, and having 1 or 2 DVD9 disks as an install file as well as digital downloads for the lucky ones that are able to download these games. Kinda like PC and Steam service...

I mean, I'd take the bluray with open arms if the cost was under 299 when the system launched...but forcing me to buy a 40 gig and losing backwards compatibility for the sake of a disk media is just wrong in my eyes...being a gamer and all. If I was a video quality junkie...I may have a different opinion.

I know what you mean,but introducing Blu-ray now will be better for the next Playstation system.

Realistically I don't think you can really compare DVD adoption to blu-ray adoption in such black and white terms. Realistically you have to take into account how revolutionary DVD's were when they first came out and what the mass market was like back then. To put it bluntly the mass market back when DVD first came out was nowhere near as Tech savvy as the market is now. Also another thing that people will have to take into account nowadays when comparing sales now to sales a far while ago is how much more accessible finance is to the average consumer. So realistically when you take these two factors into account you would have to expect Blu-ray to be doing much higher figures before really declaring any kind of certain "this is overtaking DVD format" stance.

Having said that is any Tarantino or Rodriguez movies going to be released on Blu-ray? I really want Planet Terror on Blu-Ray.

Lol 11 million copies of Blue ray is nothing compared to DVD sales, this is so funny, PR at work here.

"Like you know"