By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wow maybe Sony was right about Blu-ray?

Hawkeye said:
Well, I am planning on buying an HD console to go with my HDTV, and blu-ray and RROD has really made me think twice about getting a 360... so I am willing to guess that blu-ray is probably swaying a few 360 buyers, and is helping the PS3 the same was movies/music helps the PSP... some people buy it as a media player, with gaming as a "bonus" function.

Nice post! I like your style

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network
Magnific0 said:

Sony : We're on top of our game, we are one hell of a hardware designer/manufacturer, there's a big chance of success along a great risk with Blu-ray. We'll take the risk, if we can't do it now, then when?

Microsoft: Damn we're hurting, we just had to put down our first gaming console after just 4 years. We are not good hardware designers/manufacturers, let's play it safe and hope for the best by launching another console as soon as possible. Let's not take unnecessary risks, let's go with good 'ol cheap DVD.

Years later:

Blu-ray wins format war and RRoD burns millions of X360s.

Sony: Well, what do you know!

Microsoft: Well, what do you know!

You accuse me of bias and then you post this?

The media drive in the X360 has no relevance on the RROD issue.   Why are you even relating the two?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Being on "wedding holiday" I don't have much time for VG now, but I had to respond to this:

1/ "11m" sales over a ... 2 year? period is pretty bad really. This just shows that the mass market is NOT adopting BluRay at all. Compare the figure to software sales for the PS3 - 11m is nothing. I would be looking for something closer to 100m-200m sales by now.

2/ BluRay still holds no emotional attachment for me at all. My wife is heading to China in a week, and will be picking up some new "hardware" at good prices - and we haven't even considered a BluRay player, or anything similar. It would have to be close to free/built-in to us to consider it. Instead the iPhone/iTouch is what excites her/me at the moment.

3/ 3 days ago, just before leaving Australia - I downloaded the final double ep of Lost and watched in on my TV. It was a 700mb download, for 80min of content. Played from a USB stick, on my now 2-year-old DVD player (with HDMI + 1080i upsampling). A friend from Singapore saw it running on the TV, and was blown away by the quality - he was convinced it was some "funky" new DVD format.

Nope, just 80min of DIVX compressed footage stored on the equiv of a CD (around 10% of a DVD space).

I'm sure it would look a LOT better running on BluRay - but it just doesn't matter. The quality of this alone was excellent, and more than adequate for watching. Law of diminishing returns in place...

(wonder if Ninty will ever consider an updated Wii, which has 1080i upsampling + better gfx hardware built-in - primarily to remove jaggies - I'd buy it!).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:

Being on "wedding holiday" I don't have much time for VG now, but I had to respond to this:

1/ "11m" sales over a ... 2 year? period is pretty bad really. This just shows that the mass market is NOT adopting BluRay at all. Compare the figure to software sales for the PS3 - 11m is nothing. I would be looking for something closer to 100m-200m sales by now.

2/ BluRay still holds no emotional attachment for me at all. My wife is heading to China in a week, and will be picking up some new "hardware" at good prices - and we haven't even considered a BluRay player, or anything similar. It would have to be close to free/built-in to us to consider it. Instead the iPhone/iTouch is what excites her/me at the moment.

3/ 3 days ago, just before leaving Australia - I downloaded the final double ep of Lost and watched in on my TV. It was a 700mb download, for 80min of content. Played from a USB stick, on my now 2-year-old DVD player (with HDMI + 1080i upsampling). A friend from Singapore saw it running on the TV, and was blown away by the quality - he was convinced it was some "funky" new DVD format.

Nope, just 80min of DIVX compressed footage stored on the equiv of a CD (around 10% of a DVD space).

I'm sure it would look a LOT better running on BluRay - but it just doesn't matter. The quality of this alone was excellent, and more than adequate for watching. Law of diminishing returns in place...

(wonder if Ninty will ever consider an updated Wii, which has 1080i upsampling + better gfx hardware built-in - primarily to remove jaggies - I'd buy it!).

Yes but some of us like video quality.

Yes

I don't know how "Right" Sony was, but in the long term this will pay off for them. Blu Ray won the format war, and it is inneveitable that eventuallu the entertainment and computer industry will pull the plug on DVD, and force the consumer to upgrade, just as they did with DVD. Just as Nintendo and MS pulled the plug on their respective consoles from last gen to force their fans to upgrade early. this is just a way that industries use to force the consumer to move along. In the end fanboys always get excited over things that are innevitable to begin with. getting excited over this is like the Ninty fanboys getting excited over the sales the Wii has gotten in it's first year and a half. It's no real shocker due to the circumstance, yet fanboys get excited over it and read more into it than they should.

Around the Network
ion-storm said:
shams said:

And audio quality.

I couldnt have said it better.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

11 million Blu-Rays is NOTHING. Nothing. It means nothing. Don't get so excited, boys.

Check this link, for example:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2007/HPOT5-DVD.php

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ALONE sold 10.7 million on DVD. 11 million in sales out of ALL the titles? That is so insignificant to the total market. It's a drop in the bucket.

Blu-Rays are awesome, but it will take YEARS before they have a chance to become a dominant force.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

fastyxx said:
11 million Blu-Rays is NOTHING. Nothing. It means nothing. Don't get so excited, boys.

Check this link, for example:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2007/HPOT5-DVD.php

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ALONE sold 10.7 million on DVD. 11 million in sales out of ALL the titles? That is so insignificant to the total market. It's a drop in the bucket.

Blu-Rays are awesome, but it will take YEARS before they have a chance to become a dominant force.

Within just a few month's we'll see BD as being 15% of of the physical media movie market.  i mean when the PS3 dropped from $500 to $400 we saw a doubling of it,  and this was only a 20% cut.  Being able to buy a BD player for 25% , or at the current $300 price will help a bit more...imho

|_emmiwinks said:
ion-storm said:
shams said:

And audio quality.

I couldnt have said it better.

I third it.  Blu-ray FTW.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Viper1 said:
Magnific0 said:

Sony : We're on top of our game, we are one hell of a hardware designer/manufacturer, there's a big chance of success along a great risk with Blu-ray. We'll take the risk, if we can't do it now, then when?

Microsoft: Damn we're hurting, we just had to put down our first gaming console after just 4 years. We are not good hardware designers/manufacturers, let's play it safe and hope for the best by launching another console as soon as possible. Let's not take unnecessary risks, let's go with good 'ol cheap DVD.

Years later:

Blu-ray wins format war and RRoD burns millions of X360s.

Sony: Well, what do you know!

Microsoft: Well, what do you know!

You accuse me of bias and then you post this?

The media drive in the X360 has no relevance on the RROD issue.   Why are you even relating the two?

haha, I knew some people wouldn't get it. Obviously they're not related but if you read my post above this one you'll understand. What I meant is Microsoft played it safe and fortunate for them 'cause if they had taken the risk to include an HD drive and take even more losses on their hardware they wouldn't have been able to pull it off. Just imagine this, an even more expensive to produce 360 and then boom! RRod! 1.1 billion dollars and look at the current scenario now where Wii dominates and pricier PS3 outsells it, it wouldn't look pretty for them. That's why I jokingly said once RRod broke out and BR won the format war some MS executives probably said something among the lines of " whew! thank god we went with the cheap DVD! We can cope up with the RRod problem investing all that money we would have been losing on a HD-DVD equipped hardware, and that format lost to boot!" By the way, I didn't accuse you of bias. You can be all the bias you want , I don't give a crap.