By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wow maybe Sony was right about Blu-ray?

Since BR has so much memory why don't they release a new film and add HD quality older film on one disc? Like I Am Legend along with The Omega Man.
why not put Matrix trilogy on one disc and sell it cheaper?

I'll consider BR if they did this.

Around the Network
Coca-Cola said:
Since BR has so much memory why don't they release a new film and add HD quality older film on one disc? Like I Am Legend along with The Omega Man.
why not put Matrix trilogy on one disc and sell it cheaper?

I'll consider BR if they did this.

Thats a very good idea but...

if a company can charge 20 quid a pop for 3 films on three discs (60) and sell them, they aint going to put three on one disc and sell it for the same price.

Its just not good business baby!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

I still believe including a BR reader in the PS3 was a good move by Sony.

It definitly helped BR win the war against HD-DVD ( when you see how many stand alone BR players were sold there is really little doubt about this).

It will probably contribute to extend the life of the PS3 by a few years.

And it makes the PS3 games a lot harder to pirate ( due to the current high cost of burning BR discs).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

FishyJoe said:
konnichiwa said:
FishyJoe said:
Sony is always right. They can never be wrong.

Seriously, are you guys that brainwashed?

Your words some months ago:

VGCHARTZ is always right. It can never be wrong.

Seriously, Are you that brainwashed???

I have never said this and if you repeat this lie, I will take action.

Your job as a mod isn't to pick up on people or insult them.............

If a post is out of line, lock it or delete it but there is really no need to snap at whoever made it...

^and the extra space never hurt. Many haters are still in denial, but sooner than later (and I expect that to be before 2010) 8.5GB won't be enough for HD games, compressed or whatever.

Around the Network
Magnific0 said:

@Viper1 No, beginning of 1997 to end of 2001, that's 5 years.

1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, see?

And DVD players well selling , although at very high prices, since Q4 of 1996. A friend of mine bought one of the first models, a Toshiba for around $1,100 at the end of 1996.

And as for their figures not including PS2, I couldn't know, they don't tell, so how do you know? Do I smell bias?

I just counted the months off.

Because the DVD Entertainment Group has never counted PS2 sales before, that's why.  I didn't need them to say it in that San Jose Mercury Biz Journal article.

Your bias label failed.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Magnific0 said:
^and the extra space never hurt. Many haters are still in denial, but sooner than later (and I expect that to be before 2010) 8.5GB won't be enough for HD games, compressed or whatever.

Oh, games will definitely need more space rather soon.

Still, I think it was a good move for MS to go with DVD back in 2005. I don't think disc size will be a real problem until 2010-2011, which is when MS is probably looking to replace the console anyway.

Going with DVD also allowed MS neutrality in the format war, which ended up being a good thing for them. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I predict the kind of games that require BluRay because they don't fit on a DVD will go extinct anyway.
When the few companies able to do that go bankrupt, these will go with them.
Games that can fill a BluRay disc cost too much money and are not sustainable anyway.

Well, we all know they went with DVD 'cause they couldn't afford HD-DVD in the console. Coming from such great losses with the first Xbox, going deep into the red is not exactly a smart choice to start off the next-gen. So DVD was indeed the cheap path to take. It allowed them to spend more money on a beasty GPU, then cut some more costs on the quality of some other components and launch perfectly well on the $400 range by the end of 2005. Then spend 1 billion on 3-year RRoD warranty and still be able to start making profits 2 years after launch. Just imagine if they by some world-warping paradox had included HD-DVD or Blu-ray (if available in 2005), there's no way they could've pulled this off.

ookaze said:
I predict the kind of games that require BluRay because they don't fit on a DVD will go extinct anyway.
When the few companies able to do that go bankrupt, these will go with them.
Games that can fill a BluRay disc cost too much money and are not sustainable anyway.

GTA4 begs to differ ( it came close to filling the DVD).