By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wow maybe Sony was right about Blu-ray?

dallas said:
fastyxx said:
11 million Blu-Rays is NOTHING. Nothing. It means nothing. Don't get so excited, boys.

Check this link, for example:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2007/HPOT5-DVD.php

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ALONE sold 10.7 million on DVD. 11 million in sales out of ALL the titles? That is so insignificant to the total market. It's a drop in the bucket.

Blu-Rays are awesome, but it will take YEARS before they have a chance to become a dominant force.

Within just a few month's we'll see BD as being 15% of of the physical media movie market.  i mean when the PS3 dropped from $500 to $400 we saw a doubling of it,  and this was only a 20% cut.  Being able to buy a BD player for 25% , or at the current $300 price will help a bit more...imho

In 2007 alone, Hollywood sold 1.7 billion DVD's (which was actually down 7%).  Blu_ray has sold 11 million units total.  You're dreaming.  http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-01-07-dvd-sales-slippage_N.htm 

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Around the Network

Notice how they don't mention the percentage increase since HD-DVD's defeat. That's because there isn't one. Blu-Ray will not replace DVD; download will replace DVD.

Aurally examine my music!

Wear gaudy colours or avoid display. It's all the same.

Be warned, I will use walls of polysyllables and complex clauses as a defence against lucid argument.

Wand to read a creepy thread?

And fasyxx is right. 1.7 billion in one year to 11 million lifetime = no adoption.

Be warned, I will use walls of polysyllables and complex clauses as a defence against lucid argument.

fastyxx said:
dallas said:
fastyxx said:
11 million Blu-Rays is NOTHING. Nothing. It means nothing. Don't get so excited, boys.

Check this link, for example:

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2007/HPOT5-DVD.php

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix ALONE sold 10.7 million on DVD. 11 million in sales out of ALL the titles? That is so insignificant to the total market. It's a drop in the bucket.

Blu-Rays are awesome, but it will take YEARS before they have a chance to become a dominant force.

Within just a few month's we'll see BD as being 15% of of the physical media movie market.  i mean when the PS3 dropped from $500 to $400 we saw a doubling of it,  and this was only a 20% cut.  Being able to buy a BD player for 25% , or at the current $300 price will help a bit more...imho

In 2007 alone, Hollywood sold 1.7 billion DVD's (which was actually down 7%).  Blu_ray has sold 11 million units total.  You're dreaming.  http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2008-01-07-dvd-sales-slippage_N.htm 

uh, the last weekly nielsen showed Blu @ 7.7% of physical movie media in america but that was 2 weeks old, anyway so the cheap player that Funai just put out hasn't even counted yet as far as the weekly nielsen stuff goes.

Hmmm... I guess your sig must be correct.

Around the Network
Generic Username 01 said:
Notice how they don't mention the percentage increase since HD-DVD's defeat. That's because there isn't one. Blu-Ray will not replace DVD; download will replace DVD.

Consumers will buy what the entertainment industry dictates them to buy. If the entertainment industry starts pulling back on DVD releases then people will go out and buy Blu Ray players. Don't kid yourself this isnt the tail wagging the dog, the dog is still very much in control. believe me the industry adopted bluray, Bluray movies and players will be adopted.

Yeah, right, I can't wait to download HD movies with my at best 4 Mb/s, average 1.6 Mb/s, P2P 500 kb/s line.

And it's still10 to 80 times faster than old lines still common, with telcos absolutely not willing to take broadband to small villages, less rich quarters and isolated houses: you can bet that at least 50% of population of developed countries won't download movies for a long, long time.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Who says the movies will be HD? People use YouTube and torrents all the time even though they are often VHS-quality or worse. Convenience and ease of use are more highly valued than HD. This is the reason for the Wii's success as well.

Who says the movies will be HD? People use YouTube and torrents all the time even though they are often VHS-quality or worse. Convenience and ease of use are more highly valued than HD. This is the reason for the Wii's success as well.

This makes more sense, for VHS quality I download too sometimes, but for HD, downloading it comfortably is quite far for most people, although I agree too that a wider acceptance of HD is quite far too, I don't expect a fast takeoff neither for BD, nor for HD in general, they both need a lot of things to become commodities to hope to reach the masses, first.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I disagree with downloading being the future. It's going to be on-demand entertainment, where you pick what you want to watch and it instantly starts, such as what most cable companies offer now.

Netflix offers it on your compuetr and they are going to have set-top boxes that do the same for your TV. THAT'S the future. No one will buy movies. They will just pay $40 a month or whatever and watch whatever they want whenever they want.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?