By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EGM boycott: no Metal Gear Solid 4 review

Rather funnily, another company which is now the target of a boycott has also had problems with EGM before.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/01/10/sony-sports-ubisoft-midway-ban-egm-from-reviews/

Maybe EGM is one of the last bastions of journalistic integrity in gaming?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Rather funnily, another company which is now the target of a boycott has also had problems with EGM before.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/01/10/sony-sports-ubisoft-midway-ban-egm-from-reviews/

Scary thought since i don't even like EGM.  

NJ5 said:

Dan Hsu is defintely one of the good guys in the industry.   He's called out violations of journalistic integrity before.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
NJ5 said:

Dan Hsu is defintely one of the good guys in the industry.   He's called out violations of journalistic integrity before.

yeah, too bad last issue was his last at 1up/egm. He voluntarily quit.

Torillian said:
konnichiwa said:
BengaBenga said:
Wow, I'm amazed that there are even people that defend Konami here.

What happened to freedom of press? What happened to expecting an unbiased review from reviewers?

If Konami fears bad reviews, they should not send review copies, but if they do I think it's absolutely unacceptable to set demands for the review.

Just saying, you would be surprised how many devs do this.

Exactly, I thought we all knew that the reviews before release are almost always tainted in some way or another. People here punishing MGS4 for an industry norm is just ridiculous. Are you going to punish every game that you don't think deserves the scores it gets before release? Too many people are using this as a reason to punish a game or talk bad about a game that they never liked in the first place, forgetting that some of their favorite games could have easily done the exact same thing, they just didn't get caught.

Well, I didn't really see a lot of that until the ridiculous GTAIV reviews.
Why on earth is it ridiculous to question the industry norm? If it's the norm to buy review scores this whole industry is rotten and people shouldn't react with an attitude of "ah, well, this happens all the time. Who believes early reviews anyway, that's the way it goes, live with it".
But this is probably more a case of "don't touch MGS, it's Jesus on a Blu-Ray disc".

MGS (1) is in or close to my top 10 all time games, but I, opposed to a lot of others here, can seperate my feelings for a game and my opinion about (in this case) Konami's business practices. 

FreeTalkLive:
Benga, are you calling for more regulations and laws on how videogame companies run?  It looks that way and that is the exact opposite of what is best for gamers.  The less connected governments and game companies are, the better it is for all of us.

No, where did you get that from. I don't want regulations. When I posted it I would have thought that most gamers would be raving mad about stuff like this. Apparently I was wrong. But still I hope that more magazines and websites will start acting like EGM and become real journalist instead of some kind of puppet from the game companies.
I really don't see where you'd get the idea that I want government influence.

Around the Network

It's more like an information embargo. Konami doesn't want the press to mention (reportedly) those things until the game is released. EGM confirmed that they will review MGS4 in the issue AFTER the GeOW issue.

rocketpig said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@rocketpig

so you won't buy MGS4 because of this....

{sigh....Morales & people}

I'm wavering. Being an advertising whore myself, I'm still debating whether to say "screw it" and buy the game anyway or hold to what little morals I have left. :D

Morals? MORALS!?!? what has your morals ever done for you? you don't need them!

Well apparently I like EGM again and hate Konami.

rocketpig said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@rocketpig

I'm wavering. Being an advertising whore myself, I'm still debating whether to say "screw it" and buy the game anyway or hold to what little morals I have left. :D

Morality and Rocketpig have sort of a passing familiarity with very infrequent contact.  Sort of like fanboys and sex.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Profcrab said:
rocketpig said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@rocketpig

Morality and Rocketpig have sort of a passing familiarity with very infrequent contact.  Sort of like fanboys and sex.

I'm a fanboy. And i had sex yesterday. JOKE DESTROYED

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

colonelstubbs said:
Profcrab said:
rocketpig said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@rocketpig

Morality and Rocketpig have sort of a passing familiarity with very infrequent contact. Sort of like fanboys and sex.

I'm a fanboy. And i had sex yesterday. JOKE DESTROYED

Just because yesterday happened to be your biennial pity sex day, doesn't make you an exception to that rule.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.