By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EGM boycott: no Metal Gear Solid 4 review

Torillian said:
konnichiwa said:
BengaBenga said:
Wow, I'm amazed that there are even people that defend Konami here.

What happened to freedom of press? What happened to expecting an unbiased review from reviewers?

If Konami fears bad reviews, they should not send review copies, but if they do I think it's absolutely unacceptable to set demands for the review.

Just saying, you would be surprised how many devs do this.

Exactly, I thought we all knew that the reviews before release are almost always tainted in some way or another. People here punishing MGS4 for an industry norm is just ridiculous. Are you going to punish every game that you don't think deserves the scores it gets before release? Too many people are using this as a reason to punish a game or talk bad about a game that they never liked in the first place, forgetting that some of their favorite games could have easily done the exact same thing, they just didn't get caught.

If you don't like it don't publish the review until it's released is a LOT different then "don't mention game flaws".

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@rocketpig

so you won't buy MGS4 because of this....

{sigh....Morales & people}

I'm wavering. Being an advertising whore myself, I'm still debating whether to say "screw it" and buy the game anyway or hold to what little morals I have left. :D

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Rocket, I may disagree with you, but at least you're honest with yourself. Gotta respect that. I say keep your slight morals, losing one MGS4 sale won't kill it, and then after you rent it you can decide if it's worth selling your soul :P.

I think you should rent it but not buy it even if its amazing

that way you can play it and still not pay full price..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

why did konami want to avoid any of that info from getting into the review? Did they think people wouldn't buy it?

Around the Network

@Riachu

dunno....for me it was potential spoilers...

but it may be marked down if the 90 min cutscene was crap (which I doubt)

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

jankazimierz said:
its konami's game, they can do what they want.
plus, its obvious that EGM slants towards 360, they put GOW2 on their cover instead of MGS4.

So basicly what you are saying is that any kind of media-embargo is perfectly acceptable.

I may use the slippery slope fallacy here but to me, this is no different then the Birmese government dictating what can and cannot be seen. Sure, the lives of thousands upon thousands of people cannot compare with a simple review grade but I hope the picture is clear - let this slide and we will go from dictating rules to clear bribery - if that doesn't happen already.

And just like the Birmese situation, this should warrant a massive outcry from the world to the people dictating what we can and cannot see. Where we can and cannot aid.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

If you don't get why it's different by the way.

It's a different between hiding opinions and hiding content.

Hiding opinions... whatever, but hiding content about the game that doesn't involve spoilers is just downright horrible.

As has been stated, restrictions on reviews prior to release is industry standard, especially big budget games. That's one reason never to completely trust high scores prior to or day of a release.

I am glad to hear that EGM has the integrity to delay their review a month. Maybe they started to have regrets about giving GTA IV a perfect score, and don't want to do that again...

I'm proud of EGM, I haven't read the whole topic so you may be talking about kitten pizza by now, but I just want to say that it's great that they are sticking up for journalistic integrity, and also showing that a game can be reviewed without giving it an arbitrary numerical score.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.