By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It's not the Wii it's your TV

I have a 37 inch Olevia HDTV and my wii looks great with component cables, very sharp, and I don't really notice the "jaggies" much.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Wii owners please dont even buy a HD tv, its a wast of time..

If you read my post at all you would have seen my cooment that I think the Wii looks gret my my HDTV. But shocker of shokers people shouldn't just buy any old hdtv, even and maybe especially wii owners.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

it also looks good on my TV,im not complaining

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

I think the clarity you get using an HDTV even for the Wii is worth while. The difference between interlaced and progressive scan is certainly noticeable. That and HDTV is just so nice for sports :)

its like watching sports an analog feed on a 25in or less tv looks good that same analog feed on a 50-60 hdtv looks like crap unless its a hd feed the analog feed will always look better on a smaller tv 36 in. and below.

The Wii in widescreen 16:9 480p looks better on an hd set then running it 480i fullscreen 4:3 on that same large screen especailly if your using a stretch mode to make it full screen.

Still if your using a 36 in. or smaller letterbox 4:3 tv the wii will look great that way to.

Still 480p to 1080i or even 720p is a huge difference its way clearer 600 more lines of resolution at 1080 and 320 more lines at 720 and thats displayed resolution not source resolution.

Around the Network
colonelstubbs said:
Not everyone can afford state of the art televisions....some of us can barely afford a console

That's very true, but people who can't afford a good setup probably shouldn't be complaining about bad pictures. It's definitely not the console's fault. If someone can't afford a good tv setup, and they don't complain, that's fine. The problem comes in when people have a bad setup and start to complain that the wii is the issue.

for this reason alone - I spent a lot of time choosing my HD Tv as I knew that the 360 / PS3 would plug in on any TV and look great but the Wii would be hit or miss depending.

Made a good choice in the end and i've sen other peoples on Wii with cheap TV's and I totally agree, a decent SD is better for Wii gaming that a cheap, badly chosen HD TV.

I got a 44" Hitachi Full HD 1080p tv and it looks alright, i think i might have to buy the HD cables though.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

dschumm said:

I have always assumed when people complain about the Wii''s graphics they mean in comparison to HD game systems. Now I realize that  that many people aren't taking full advantage.

I have a 42 inch 1080P Sharp Aquos with the Wii hooked up via component. I think the Wii looks great on it (very sharp and slick in a minimalist kind of way)

My friend recently purchased a 56 inch Samsung DLP. And quite frankly it looked like crap. He didn't bother with components and he didn't  even know that he could set it to widescreen. It looked worse that the crappy comcast feed I get for basic cable. Now his 360 stilll looked prety decent, but the Wii was so flickery and even dvds looked pretty bad.

So I  advise all of who are interested in fidelity to take a look at your set-up and try to make the most of it, and not all HD tvs are good at displaying DVD quality content (480P).

I think using composite cables on a flat screen is a definite no no.  I normally play with on a projector screen with the Wii connected to the projector using component cables.  I went on holiday recently and took my Wii with me but only took composite cables.  The hotel room had a flat screen of around 32 inches and I couldn't even play some games because the picture was so so bad

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down

Double post

Biggest Pikmin Fan on VGChartz I was chosen by default due to voting irregularities

Super Smash Brawl Code 1762-4158-5677 Send me a message if you want to receive a beat down