By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Game Selection = Lose/Lose/Lose/Lose/Lose/Lose/Lose Situation

Seriously guys, what's with the doom and gloom? The Wii isn't even 2 years old yet. PS2 had a similar issue in its first 2 years of development too, with a lot of shovelware on the system and not much really impressive. Years 3 and 4 are where the glory games come out, the ones that really push the system's hardware and bring a breath of fresh air to the system's library. Just be glad that there are SOME decent games on the system thus far.

I'm not sure what's more frustrating - a couch jockey claiming to know how the inner workings of the industry move and feel regarding a console, or the sheep that support him.

Around the Network
The_vagabond7 said:
I sort of agree with Shameless. The wii has the least spoils of any victorious console to show for right now, and unless 3rd party support changes big time in the next year (which is looking less likely), it's going to be a wierd kind of victory. Not that Nintendo will consider it a "hollow" victory seeing as how they are the second most valuable company in Japan behind Toyota now thanks to the Wii (and DS). I really don't think they are in the least bit worried about 3rd party support with the truckloads of yen they are making due to their victory.

Well, it's, by far, the biggest victory for a console maker. If third parties don't get much better, all Nintendo titles will get stellar sales. There's so much potential and they are too stupid to realize it. It's their bad.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

bardicverse said:
Seriously guys, what's with the doom and gloom? The Wii isn't even 2 years old yet. PS2 had a similar issue in its first 2 years of development too, with a lot of shovelware on the system and not much really impressive. Years 3 and 4 are where the glory games come out, the ones that really push the system's hardware and bring a breath of fresh air to the system's library. Just be glad that there are SOME decent games on the system thus far.

I'm not sure what's more frustrating - a couch jockey claiming to know how the inner workings of the industry move and feel regarding a console, or the sheep that support him.

Are you kidding? Assuming you even mean March 2002 (2 years after the Japan launch), the PS2 had plenty of quality 3rd-party games. Onimusha, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy X (In Japan), Metal Gear Solid 2, GTA III, etc.

The PS2 did not get the treatment the Wii is getting. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I'm not trying to force devs to make games only for the Wii. But this is very much a pearls before swine issue. Devs can take millions of dollars and years invested to make a top quality PS3 game, but could spend about 1/10th that amount on a Wii game and provided they put the same effort and attention to detail in teh game, get roughly twice the return on their investment that they would have with the PS3 or 360 game.
If all devs are concerned with is making money, then they shouldn't be shooting themselves in the feet with crappy games that only make them less trusted by the consumer.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

LordTheNightKnight said:
bardicverse said:

Are you kidding? Assuming you even mean March 2002 (2 years after the Japan launch), the PS2 had plenty of quality 3rd-party games. Onimusha, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy X (In Japan), Metal Gear Solid 2, GTA III, etc.

The PS2 did not get the treatment the Wii is getting.

Much of the development on PS2 languished for the first few years due to the complexity of the dev kits. You gave me 5 games on your list, I assume they all reached 1 mil in sales or at least 500k? In the year and a half the Wii has been out, there have been a fairly equal number of 3rd party games that broken 500k or 1 mil. The parallels between the PS2 and Wii are uncanny.

Around the Network
bardicverse said:

i hope wii will become like ps2,but in its first year ps2 got DMC,GTA3,FFX so we will see what will happen with third parties on wii

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Here are a few 3rd-party PS2 games from either 2000 or 2001. The list is not extensive, but neither are they shovelware (even if some are ports and rehashes, there was still some work).

Ace Combat 4
All-Star Baseball 2002
Armored Core 2
ATV Offroad Fury
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Burnout
Devil May Cry
Dynasty Warriors 2
Dynasty Warriors 3
Final Fantasy X
Grand Theft Auto III
Guilty Gear X
Half-Life (which included updated graphics and a co-op mode)
Ico
Klonoa 2
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Madden NFL 2001, 2002
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Midnight Club: Street Racing
ESPN NFL 2K
NHL 2001, 2002
Onimusha
Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
Shadow Hearts
Silent Hill 2
SSX
Star Trek: Voyager: Elite Force
Summoner
Tekken Tag Tournament
TimeSplitters
Time Crisis II
Tokyo Xtreme Racer: Zero
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3

And this is not the full list of 3rd-party games, that were given due effort in development (or at least porting them, where the were made with effort on their original systems).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

^yeah ps2 had great support from the beginning i hope wii will also get that kind of support

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

You don't change how games are played and have everybody adapt to it instantly. It's a fantasy that game developers can just spontaneously go from a button-centric gameplay design to a camera-and-motion-centric gameplay design overnight. On top of that, most of the big-name companies are putting their lowest-tier programmers on their Wii projects and giving them piss-poor funding just so they can have a token presence on the system. This all adds up to a lot of shovelware from developers who should know better.

Almost anybody who was a gamer during the latter half of the 1980s would not find this surprising, as the NES had the same effect on PC game developers. There too, waves of poor shovelware that was usually conversions of PC games to NES led a lot of gamers to ignore the big-name third parties and give a chance to the smaller ones like the then-emerging studios Capcom, Hudson, Konami, and so forth.

The developers of the past are a dying breed on the Wii, even as they remain strong on the PS3 and 360. Don't expect many of them to catch on. Instead, look to the well-made WiiWare titles to see who our next wave of brilliant developers will be. It is they, not with the ones who put out endless waves of shovelware onto the Wii, who hold the industry's future.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

The PS2 had great support from the beginning because it was coming off of PS1 success and because developers weren't confused or using the wait and see approach.

The Wii has many developers unsure of how to approach it because they are morons. If a company makes goods games and markets them strongly, most of the games will be profitable and will make up for the losers.

That being said, I still stand by my statement. There are plenty of good 1st and 3rd party games. If you can honestly say that you have played through ALL 66 of the games that have scored 70% or more on meta critic then you probably have more than one console anyway.

The best thing to do is be happy with what you have, don't become a bitter internet nerd that hates on everything.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.