By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft responds to Wii-owners upset with quality of titles

To be fair, I don't like their new snowboarding game only because SSX Blur looks way better than it and SSX Blur came out more than a year ago.

At this point Shaun is dead to me and I'll wait till SSX with that balance board =.= to steal a tool of the Great Stephen Colbert

Ubisoft is on Notice
Sega is on Notice
Totally Games is dead to me

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network
steven787 said:

I disagree with his letter, I am not upset that it doesn't look like the 360 version. I am upset that it looks worse than some DS games (at a slightly higher resolution).

You can get away with making a game ugly that is word training or babyz raizing, but one of the cool things about a 3d Snowboarding game is the graphics and having card board cut out rocks and 20 polygon heads with flat textures is not acceptable.

As much as I think graphics, in the end, do not matter, the top Wii Sellers show even casuals care...

Look at the million sellers, none of them are graphical power houses but there are only 2 butt ugly games and a couple debatable ones.

This game looks horrendous, it is not stylish. They are throwing it together to make a quick buck off of the balance board.

BTW, RRR series is one of the best looking and most stylish minigame collections. It is not a coincidence that it is the best selling non-Nintendo related minigame collection.

For me, graphics are not that important. There is bottom bar, a minimum, that even the casual market wants to see when they flip over the box or see it on the screen at Walmart. This game along with many other third party Wii Games do not meet the expectations of consumers.

Instead of complaining that your potential customers don't like what they see, they should fix it.

Here are some third-party Wii games that don't look like crap. 

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

dib8rman said:
To be fair, I don't like their new snowboarding game only because SSX Blur looks way better than it and SSX Blur came out more than a year ago.

At this point Shaun is dead to me and I'll wait till SSX with that balance board =.= to steal a tool of the Great Stephen Colbert

Ubisoft is on Notice
Sega is on Notice
Totally Games is dead to me

you should give skate it a shot when it releases its looking good,by the teaser

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

steven787 said:
steven787 said:

I disagree with his letter, I am not upset that it doesn't look like the 360 version. I am upset that it looks worse than some DS games (at a slightly higher resolution).

You can get away with making a game ugly that is word training or babyz raizing, but one of the cool things about a 3d Snowboarding game is the graphics and having card board cut out rocks and 20 polygon heads with flat textures is not acceptable.

As much as I think graphics, in the end, do not matter, the top Wii Sellers show even casuals care...

Look at the million sellers, none of them are graphical power houses but there are only 2 butt ugly games and a couple debatable ones.

This game looks horrendous, it is not stylish. They are throwing it together to make a quick buck off of the balance board.

BTW, RRR series is one of the best looking and most stylish minigame collections. It is not a coincidence that it is the best selling non-Nintendo related minigame collection.

For me, graphics are not that important. There is bottom bar, a minimum, that even the casual market wants to see when they flip over the box or see it on the screen at Walmart. This game along with many other third party Wii Games do not meet the expectations of consumers.

Instead of complaining that your potential customers don't like what they see, they should fix it.

What is the last game?

I generally don't bother to do something like this, but I feel frisky. I'm going to do one of those dissect and comment thingies that are all the rage these days.     

Soriku said:

Ubisoft responds to Wii-owners upset with quality of titles

Ubisoft is definitely listening to all the negative comments being thrown around about their casual games heading to the Wii. Unfortunately, they didn’t really have anything to say that will make you happy. Huge thanks to MickiFree for the heads up! This is a forum post from Raide, UK Forum Manager…

The true of the matter is this, the Wii is a very different console than what most games developers are used to.

What the hell, I'll argue this. The Wii has comparable abilities to the the 6th generation consoles that people developed on for years. I think it may have been one of Nintendo's goals to assure the Wii wasn't so much different from the cube in architecture to ease the transition, and the nunchuck was design to emulate traditional controllers. Why do some people have this misconception that Wii games MUST be different.

The Wii has managed to make a huge success from having games on it that just would not work on a conventional console. The Wii has also managed to increase the market share to a huge group of people that are not that interested in gaming. With Wii Sports, Wii Fit and all manner of games built for family play, Nintendo know who they are marketing for and it is not die hard gamers.

Again this narrow minded view that the expanded market is the Wii's ONLY market. Obviously Nintendo DOES consider the "die-hard" gamers as part of their audience (which is everyone) or they wouldn't bother making games like Metroid Prime, Zelda, Battalion Wars, Smash Brothers, or Fire Emblem all within the first 18 months of it's release.

If you look at the most successful Wii games, they are not amazing new AAA games, they are predominantly family orientated games/alternative games.

First, why are "amazing new AAA game" and "family orientated/alternative game" mutually exclusive? What about something like Guitar Hero? (Which sells great on the Wii as it does almost anywhere) It's certainly alternative and has family appeal as well appealing to "die-hard" gamers.

Also wouldn't it be excepted there aren't a lot of "amazing new AAA games" on the Wii's best sellers when almost no one but Nintendo bothers to make them, and the ones that are made do chart. Like Red Steel, which despite receiving mixed reviews for being a buggy rushed mess of a game, sold over a million copies worldwide.

Looking at the current UK games sales for Wii Wii Sales Link, there are not that many traditional games in the top 30. Trends are changing and not everyone wants a new action game, FPS game or epic RPG, sales of the Wii proves that the majority want something different.

The link is Wii games only for the the week ending on May 24th. How many new Action games, FPS fames, or epic RPG's were released on the Wii that week? Funny how Red Steel and Call of Duty 3 squeak in at 29 and 30 despite being both well over a year old and not received particularly well. 

Parents who are buying a console for their children do not really care about Prince of Persia, Rainbow Six or Far Cry on the box, they want games that are going to be good for their children and not get them in the local newspaper. Why else would games like Brain Training/Wii Fit/Mario Party sell in the millions if people wanted hardcore games?

Is he suggesting the Wii's audience isn't interested in Ubisoft's games because poorly done full price ports of Prince of Persia and FarCry didn't burn up the charts? Again, ignoring how Nintendo's core games sell just as well as there expanded audience ones. Probably because they're good and well marketed.

Check the Nintendo DS figures in the UK as well. DS Sales Link. Notice whose name is listed there a few times but also notice which games are listed? We make games that will “hopefully” sell to a selected audience. We are a business after all, but Nintendo know which people are their market, just as Sony and Microsoft know who their markets are. Ubisoft have always been aimed at the more mature market (Look at our back catalogue) and in the last few years have started venturing into the casual gaming market. This is because that market now exists, thanks to the rise in popularity of the Wii and DS. The Wii is still a new console and it still has plenty of time to grow, Nintendo know this and Ubisoft know this.

The casual market always existed. Nintendo just drew more of them to their consoles by devoting time, money, and care into designing quality games to appeal to it. They did such a great job of that it's now possible to make cheap imitations of their titles and have decent sales. I've got nothing against companies making money, just don't expect a warm welcome when you clumsily cash in on a rising market with lack luster knock-offs, expect money.

As for Shaun Whites on the Wii, can you at least wait to get some more information and gameplay on it before binning it? Most people have seen a few screenshots and they already hate it because it does not look as good as the 360 etc but to damn a game just because of looks, and without actually playing it is just silly. All I have seen is various forums doing childish Photoshop screens, at least wait to see the game face to face before turning it into a humorous gif.

Well it's kind of hard to ignore Ubisoft's terrible track record with ports. Stripped down buggy as hell version of FarCry on the Wii. Sloppy rush job on Rayman Raving Rabbids when ported off the Wii with little to consideration in the change in controls. No mouse support in the PC version of RE4? (Capcom outsourced the port to Ubi.)

Link

That was fun. Still I think Zen pointed out this guy is just some forum manager or something. So seems unfair to hang Ubisoft over what he said. =P

Around the Network
steven787 said:
steven787 said:

What are those games especially the last one?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

^yeah i also wanna know,i havent seen any of those games

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Fuck Ubisoft. I will gladly buy EA games because they do not think Wii users are total retards.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

brute said:
^yeah i also wanna know,i havent seen any of those games

I think one is gyrostar, the third one is tales of symphonia 2 and the 4 one is monster lab.

That game is Call for Heroes: Pompelic Wars.

This topic upsets me so much.

I am not angry that Ubi makes ugly games. It's that they lose money, publish 20 million dollar games for 2nd and third place consoles, lose more money and then blame WiiFit (sorry, I couldn't resist).

"Oh, Nintendo's games are too good we couldn't possibly compete..."

It's that attitude that upsets me. Why aren't the larger shareholders paying attention and firing all the executives?

It makes no sense.

Look at Zack and Wiki, 366k doesn't sound like a lot but compared to Dark Sector (about the same revenue) it is a profitable addition to Capcom's lineup and would have won them some credibility with gamers if it weren't for screwing up the Okami port. (Thats 366k * 30 = 11 million for a game that probably cost less than 5 to make. Versus Dark Sector 224k *60 = 13.5 million which probably cost 10+ million to make.)

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.