By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ubisoft responds to Wii-owners upset with quality of titles

HappySqurriel said:
Squilliam said:
HappySqurriel said:

Months of ownership in 2008 in North America (assuming 1/2 month ownership for console sold in a month):

XBox 360: 54592271.5
Wii: 49812343
PS3: 21379984

Units of software sold in 2008 in North America

XBox 360: 25897420
Wii: 26478072, 23402230 (without Wii Sports), 21631296 (Without Wii Sports and Wii Play)
PS3: 12554967

Software sold per month ownership:

XBox 360: 0.47
Wii: 0.53 / 0.47 (without Wii Sports) / 0.43 (Without Wii Sports and Wii Play)
PS3: 0.59

Now if you take Grand Theft Auto 4 out of the picture the XBox 360 ratio falls to 0.40 and the PS3 falls to 0.50. Certainly, there is a advantage towards the XBox 360/PS3 but that could easily be argued as a lack of quality third party titles for the Wii.

Why would you take GTAIV out? You also haven't disproved anything.

Point: Xbox360+PS3 sell disproportionately more than their numbers suggest using the Wii as a base.

Point2: Xbox360+PS3 sell disproportionately more than their numbers suggest 3rd party games.

I think that a majority of the really hardcore Wii users are really just the hardcore Nintendo fans and that any third party is at a disadvantage because of this. They'll pick Nintendo first.

The elimination of GTA 4 was mainly because it is having a disproportionate impact on the ratio at this point in time; you can argue that people would have bought another game instead of GTA 4 but you can make the exact same argument about Wii Play and Wii Sports.

Point 1: jman8's comment was "the PS360 population has a greater percentage of hardcore gamers who buy a ton of games" which I would say I demonstrated was entirely false; when you're talking about the average Wii owner buying 5 games per year and the average PS3/XBox 360 owner buying 6 games per year that is a pretty poor demonstration of "hardcore gamers who buy a ton of games"

Point 2: Yes, it is true that the PS3 and XBox 360 sell a lot more third party games but the combined development and marketing costs of the top 10% of XBox 360 and PS3 games are probably larger than the combined development and marketing costs of the entire third party Wii library.

Some people seem to want to have it both ways, they want to bash the Wii because its library is "weaker" than the XBox 360 and PS3 mainly because publishers have produced a ton of crappy games for the Wii, they want to bash the Wii because third party games have sold "poorly" compared to Nintendo games (even though they have sold really well for their quality and marketing), and then they want to bash games (like Carnivale games) which are successful even though they're low quality and lack marketing.

Simply look at the quality difference of Ubisoft titles for the Wii and XBox 360 and give me 1 reason why the Wii should have sold a similar volume of Ubisoft titles to the XBox 360:

Wii:

No More Heroes (83.25%)
Rayman Raving Rabbids (76.92%)
Prince of Persia Rival Swords (71.22%)
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 (67.45%)
Red Steel (65.77%)
Nitrobike (50.45%)
Far Cry Vengeance (37.04%)

XBox 360:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (90.39%)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas (89.11%)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (86.06%)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent (84.64%)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (82.68%)
Assassin's Creed (82.5%)
Prince of Persia Classic (80.84%)
Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of the Movie (80.14%)
Naruto: Rise of a Ninja (78.13%)
Far Cry Instincts Predator (77.62%)
Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of WWII (72.07%)
Enchanted Arms (71.70&)
Call of Juarez (71.63%)
Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII (66.55%)

that shows that ubi doesnt really care for wii,plus they didnt even develop NMH if it wasnt for them the average would be even lower then it is

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Ubisoft just likes PS360 more. Why stop what works and has been working so well for them all these years? They are entitled to their opinions and lets face it, its not like they're saying "We're gonna make shitty Wii games because we don't want more money!" There's obviously some reasons as to why they don't develop better games for Wii.

Sorry double post, how do i delete this?

While I understand he's not a Ubisoft representative, I found his reply absolutely appalling and insulting.

His justifications irrational, erroneous and completely ignorant of facts and data readily available to the public.

Far to many contradictions to even warrant a direct line by line retort.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

@merkh66: This has got nothing to do with liking a platform more than other, but to show respect to a userbase that has been supporting them for a long time, then backstabbeing them, and treating them like shit.

Ubisoft: Simply don't release anymore Wii games, please, we dont need your garbage.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
trestres said:
@merkh66: This has got nothing to do with liking a platform more than other, but to show respect to a userbase that has been supporting them for a long time, then backstabbeing them, and treating them like shit.

Ubisoft: Simply don't release anymore Wii games, please, we dont need your garbage.

It's funny but how much do you want to bet that Baby whatever the hell it is will sellmany copies? Just because you dont want it doesnt mean other people wont. The fact remains that yes, there are "hardcore" Wii gamers, but there are just as many or more families who bought the Wii and are looking for these games. And it does have to do with liking one console more then another, they clearly prefer to develop on the PS360 as opposed to the Wii.

trestres said:

ubisoft id really annoy me with what they said,i will never buy a game released from them

@merkh66: There's room for both kinds of games hardcore and casual, although:
1st) Ubisoft isnt releasing any hardcore game on the Wii
2nd) Their casual titles are CRAP, simply crap, they don't even match the quality of Phoenix games/Data Design.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

^which is why we shouldnt buy there games

trestres said:
@merkh66: There's room for both kinds of games hardcore and casual, although:
1st) Ubisoft isnt releasing any hardcore game on the Wii
2nd) Their casual titles are CRAP, simply crap, they don't even match the quality of Phoenix games/Data Design.

Thats the point, they want to develop hardcore for PS360, and casual for Wii but they just suck at designing casual games i guess. As for there being room for both, I guess thats a matter of what they deem more important, continuing what they're good at or taking a risk and exerting more effort on expanding possibilities toward the Wii. They choose the safer option of the two.