By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why is GTA 4 selling so poorly on the PS3 in NA?

@Dodece

I will never understand why people buy a console that they know is going to break...

thats like buying a washing machine YOU KNOW is gonna break down within a month

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
Dodece said:
I have no idea what goes through a PS3 owners head. I never understood why they purchased the console last year when the console had absolutely no games, cost two and a half times more then a Wii, and was mired in a format war. Sure you could argue that they should buy more of the title due to the library still not even being comparable to the other two consoles on the market. Then again you can argue that PS3 owners in the general sense like to own electronics they hardly use.

Basically its not worth trying to discover the logic behind the actions of a demographic that never acted logically to begin with. Honestly I try not to think about it, because it makes one lose faith in reasoning. I feel the same way about those grown adults that worship Barney the Dinosaur. I just cannot bring myself to comprehend shiny logic.

Im not even touching that troll job.

Well, what did you expect? Almost 40% of PS3 owners have bought GTA. It's the top selling game on the PS3, what more did you want?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

To answer your second question. I'm beginning to thing that MKWii will outsell both GTA IV versions combined. It will have much larger legs due to the expanding Wii user base.

Dodece said:
I have no idea what goes through a PS3 owners head. I never understood why they purchased the console last year when the console had absolutely no games, cost two and a half times more then a Wii, and was mired in a format war. Sure you could argue that they should buy more of the title due to the library still not even being comparable to the other two consoles on the market. Then again you can argue that PS3 owners in the general sense like to own electronics they hardly use.

Basically its not worth trying to discover the logic behind the actions of a demographic that never acted logically to begin with. Honestly I try not to think about it, because it makes one lose faith in reasoning. I feel the same way about those grown adults that worship Barney the Dinosaur. I just cannot bring myself to comprehend shiny logic.

It's been a while since I've seen shit like that on this forum.

kamil said:
@TheBigFat: So 37% attach rate in 4 weeks is "so poorly", now? Blindness of some people really amaze me.

Looking at the pure numbers, there's little question that the PS3 version, in particular, is not reaching expectations. Not only was it expected to sell to a lot ot owners, it was supposed to drive sales of new PS3 systems. Take Two relied on this game to give them a better bargaining position against the EA buyout and it really didn't.

To answer your second question. I'm beginning to thing that MKWii will outsell both GTA IV versions combined. It will have much larger legs due to the expanding Wii user base.

Maybe.  If it does, it would likely take until the end of the generation.  But we can compare the 360 GTA 4 and Mario Kart Wii now.   

Around the Network

What is this....make a controversial thread guarenteed to spark arguments day!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

no one here ever gives a 10 million userbase to a 5 million userbase credit. its amazing. Thats a 5 million difference.... it would take 2 days to count to 5 million.

So many pointless threads its a little crazy.

one reason and 1 reason only is that in USA 360 has more people with more systems. Thats it.

Isnt in "others" the ps3 version selling better? thats also 1 reason and 1 reason only. there are more people with systems.

rocketpig said:

The numbers aren't as important as the overall paradigm shift to the 360 in NA. The 360 has snatched up many formerly PS exclusives and they're really boosting their numbers in NA as a result.

I wholeheartedly agree there. If it proves anything, it's that loyalties are fickle in the industry. Franchises like Metal Gear and Final Fantasy were part of Nintendo consoles' libraries years before they became PS-only exclusive.

Unless a company bribes you with a ton of cash to publish your game solely on their machine, I don't see there's many incentives to publish your game for a single platform. Investing gurus have told people not to put all their eggs in one basket for years.

It could be that in a decade or so, exclusive library content will be almost non-existent, at least where third parties are concerned... who knows?

Make sure the shadow you chase is not the one you cast.

scydrex said:

rocketpig said:

The numbers aren't as important as the overall paradigm shift to the 360 in NA. The 360 has snatched up many formerly PS exclusives and they're really boosting their numbers in NA as a result.

I wholeheartedly agree there. If it proves anything, it's that loyalties are fickle in the industry. Franchises like Metal Gear and Final Fantasy were part of Nintendo consoles' libraries years before they became PS-only exclusive.

Unless a company bribes you with a ton of cash to publish your game solely on their machine, I don't see there's many incentives to publish your game for a single platform. Investing gurus have told people not to put all their eggs in one basket for years.

It could be that in a decade or so, exclusive library content will be almost non-existent, at least where third parties are concerned... who knows?

I think that will become a reality next generation when middleware developers (like Epic, for example) start creating cross-engine support (such as tools to downconvert UE4 games to UE3). The Wii took everyone by surprise this generation but don't expect it to happen twice in a row. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Why do people keep bringing up PS2? Get with the times. The PS3 cannot magically outsell it's low install base, so get over it and move on.