By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why is GTA 4 selling so poorly on the PS3 in NA?

Well...First, the PS3 Version of GTA4 isn't really selling that bad. You have microsoft that paid for exclusive content, you have the xbox360 which has a much larger userbase then the PS3... with both those big things combined, the PS3 is still real close. So id say that is really good

The question you have to ask yourself

How would the sales be if the 360 had no exclusive content?
How would the sales be if the userbase of the 360 & PS3 were the same?

The answer is the same either way, The PS3 version is doing better then people think

Around the Network

This generation is not about exclusives. It's about making the most money that is why most third party companies are making their games for as many systems as possible.

GTA IV is proof. Total copies for both systems = money for Take 2.

I do agree I was one that thought that GTA IV would sell more on the PS3 then 360. However, I contradicted myself by buying it for the 360.

Now Playing: Crysis 2

Last Finished: BulletStorm

Online IDs: PSN: computermaximus, XBL: computermaximus

if they offered them a great amount of cash , i give them a huge possibility to give the exclusive wrights to MS...

MattAAron said:
Well...First, the PS3 Version of GTA4 isn't really selling that bad. You have microsoft that paid for exclusive content, you have the xbox360 which has a much larger userbase then the PS3... with both those big things combined, the PS3 is still real close. So id say that is really good

The question you have to ask yourself

How would the sales be if the 360 had no exclusive content?
How would the sales be if the userbase of the 360 & PS3 were the same?

The answer is the same either way, The PS3 version is doing better then people think

The numbers aren't as important as the overall paradigm shift to the 360 in NA. The 360 has snatched up many formerly PS exclusives and they're really boosting their numbers in NA as a result.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

and I do agree ^ about this generation isn't about exclusives, simple because back in the PS2 days, the PS2 had a much bigger userbase then the Xbox1 and the Gamecube combined... So you could still have excluses and make a lot of money on a 70~million userbase

But now, with both HD launches so close, with the hardware so samiliar (please dont get technical), and especially with this being the very beginning of the generation, exclusives dont really hold that much leverage

Give it 2 more years and youll start seeing some heavy exclusives, but until then, the only exclusives youll see are the big guys (FF/MGS/GT/HALO/GoW~)

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
amp316 said:
It's because more Americans own XBox 360s.

This is the "best game this generation" according to many reviews, and it's on the verge of being outsold by Guitar Hero 3 for the Wii just a few weeks after release, when Guitar Hero 3 for the Wii has been out for many months.

Probably has nothing to do with 280k Wii's sold this week, or more than double the install base.  Guitar Hero sales nearly doubled this week due to the massive amount of HW available, and it was still 46k behind GTA.  That is hardly on the verge of being outsold.

@TheBigFat: So 37% attach rate in 4 weeks is "so poorly", now? Blindness of some people really amaze me.

I have no idea what goes through a PS3 owners head. I never understood why they purchased the console last year when the console had absolutely no games, cost two and a half times more then a Wii, and was mired in a format war. Sure you could argue that they should buy more of the title due to the library still not even being comparable to the other two consoles on the market. Then again you can argue that PS3 owners in the general sense like to own electronics they hardly use.

Basically its not worth trying to discover the logic behind the actions of a demographic that never acted logically to begin with. Honestly I try not to think about it, because it makes one lose faith in reasoning. I feel the same way about those grown adults that worship Barney the Dinosaur. I just cannot bring myself to comprehend shiny logic.

(Console) Brand name doesn't matter.

Consoles exist to play games, not the other way around. People didn't buy GTA 3 because they bought a PS2. People bought PS2s because it was the only way to play GTA 3. This is why "GTA 4 is on Sony's turf!" doesn't work.

If you're asking about legs, that's simple too.
1) Extremely Frontloaded Sales - This game relies on the "90% sales in the first week" model, so of course legs will drop off.

2) Downmarket customers have reduced access to it - Back with GTA 3, customers accepted paying $300 for a PS2, memory card and the game. For GTA4 you're asking them to pay at least $410. And you're asking them to not buy the Wii, which doesn't have this game.

3) Console userbase - There are twice as many X360s as PS3s in NA.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Dodece said:
I have no idea what goes through a PS3 owners head. I never understood why they purchased the console last year when the console had absolutely no games, cost two and a half times more then a Wii, and was mired in a format war. Sure you could argue that they should buy more of the title due to the library still not even being comparable to the other two consoles on the market. Then again you can argue that PS3 owners in the general sense like to own electronics they hardly use.

Basically its not worth trying to discover the logic behind the actions of a demographic that never acted logically to begin with. Honestly I try not to think about it, because it makes one lose faith in reasoning. I feel the same way about those grown adults that worship Barney the Dinosaur. I just cannot bring myself to comprehend shiny logic.

Wow. Just... wow.

You're one brainwashed little fanboy, aren't you?