By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why is GTA 4 selling so poorly on the PS3 in NA?

scydrex said:

rocketpig said:

The numbers aren't as important as the overall paradigm shift to the 360 in NA. The 360 has snatched up many formerly PS exclusives and they're really boosting their numbers in NA as a result.

I wholeheartedly agree there. If it proves anything, it's that loyalties are fickle in the industry. Franchises like Metal Gear and Final Fantasy were part of Nintendo consoles' libraries years before they became PS-only exclusive.

Unless a company bribes you with a ton of cash to publish your game solely on their machine, I don't see there's many incentives to publish your game for a single platform. Investing gurus have told people not to put all their eggs in one basket for years.

It could be that in a decade or so, exclusive library content will be almost non-existent, at least where third parties are concerned... who knows?

Loyaly doesn't except in any industry. Nintendo has seen it already with the N64 and Gamecube and now Sony is learning its lesson. It's funny how it happened to both company with their 3rd console.

For the OP, it really really doesn't matter where the game was in the past. The only thing that matters is where the game is now. Final Fantasy 7 broke all FF sales records when it switched from Nintendo to Sony. 

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
scydrex said:

rocketpig said:

The numbers aren't as important as the overall paradigm shift to the 360 in NA. The 360 has snatched up many formerly PS exclusives and they're really boosting their numbers in NA as a result.

I wholeheartedly agree there. If it proves anything, it's that loyalties are fickle in the industry. Franchises like Metal Gear and Final Fantasy were part of Nintendo consoles' libraries years before they became PS-only exclusive.

Unless a company bribes you with a ton of cash to publish your game solely on their machine, I don't see there's many incentives to publish your game for a single platform. Investing gurus have told people not to put all their eggs in one basket for years.

It could be that in a decade or so, exclusive library content will be almost non-existent, at least where third parties are concerned... who knows?

I think that will become a reality next generation when middleware developers (like Epic, for example) start creating cross-engine support (such as tools to downconvert UE4 games to UE3). The Wii took everyone by surprise this generation but don't expect it to happen twice in a row. 

Quite plausible. It will also depend a lot on the console focus, control schemes. It wouldn't make much sense to publish a game like Warioware on the 360 (lacks the motion control), or a game like Warhawk on the wii (like the robust online infrastucture), as they are currently configured.

By the way, have Alessandra and Adriana returned your phone calls yet?

Make sure the shadow you chase is not the one you cast.

Godot said:
scydrex said:

rocketpig said:

Loyaly doesn't except in any industry. Nintendo has seen it already with the N64 and Gamecube and now Sony is learning its lesson. It's funny how it happened to both company with their 3rd console.

For the OP, it really really doesn't matter where the game was in the past. The only thing that matters is where the game is now. Final Fantasy 7 broke all FF sales records when it switched from Nintendo to Sony. 

Learning what exactly? Is there yet another problem with the PS3 sales that somebody would like to complain about?

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Perhaps Godot can clarify what he means with such a statement

Make sure the shadow you chase is not the one you cast.

GTA4 has great sales, it just got them all in the first week. Or are you expecting a 70%+ attach rate out of it? The PS2 games only had like a 20% attach rate at best.

Around the Network
DKII said:
GTA4 has great sales, it just got them all in the first week. Or are you expecting a 70%+ attach rate out of it? The PS2 games only had like a 20% attach rate at best.

San Andreas had about a 20% attach rate....but then consider thats off the back of a 100 million WW userbase

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

scydrex said:

rocketpig said:

There should be no loyalties. What advantages do loyalties make for the industry? I'm not saying disloyalty makes sense: just put your games wherever they'll sell the most. That's a hard lesson for some companies, but most seem to be taking it very well. Rockstar has really benefited by releasing GTA 4 for both systems, obviously, and I think most companies still considering exclusives will take note.

Why do people keep bringing up PS2? Get with the times. The PS3 cannot magically outsell it's low install base, so get over it and move on.

Perhaps the big question should by "Why hasn't Square-Enix learned this lesson with Final Fantasy." Looking at the PS3's installed base and the relative popularity compared to GTA (hint: final fantasy isn't popular compared to GTA), I can't help but wonder if Final Fantasy 13 is a low priority project at Square-Enix at the moment, or if there is a reason they're using a 360-compatible engine (the white engine) for it.

I'm not so sure companies will be happy with the idea that they're getting a great attach rate on a console when they could simply be making shit loads more money with their game on both consoles. 

Madden on 360 sells a lot better than Madden on PS3 but PS2 was huge last generation. Likewise, most of Guitar Hero's future sales will be on 360 or Wii, even though it started on PS2. Gamers move on and sometimes to systems from different companies.

GTA 4 is selling great on PS3 but you cannot expect to to sell as well as Wii Fit or Mario Kart Wii (more even SSBB or SMG likely). Some Wii games are just bigger than anything the PS3 can do.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Well, PS3 had a new title this past week, and new titles usually take a bite out of sales for other games. I wouldn't let it fester you.