By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Xbox360 attach rate 27% PS3 28% - Xbox360 won GTAIV.

I don't get why past generations really matter now. I bet around the same number of PS2 owners have a 360 now then a PS3, and install base is all that really matters with a wide appealing game like GTA 4.

Microsoft won, but it was theirs to lose, not Sony's.

Around the Network
trestres said:
@Pooper~: No, I think it's already over. I cant see why PS3 sales of the game will start to rise all of a sudden while 360 drop. Care to tell me why?

if anything 360's will rise mroe due to the DLC

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Regarding your 27% vs 28% attach figure, note that a far more significant part of the PS3's install base is located in Japan (~16% vs ~3% for the 360). GTA IV hasn't even been released there...

Far too early to say, after christmas we'll have a far more complete picture and even then the game will continue to sell I think there will still be sales potential when a cheaper slimline PS3 arrives. In any case a simultaneous release was expected to help GTA IV sales on 360, just like a simultaneous release of Resident Evil 5 will considerably help PS3 sales.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

The PS3 install base hasn't caught up yet , the only reason the 360 sold more was becaus eof userbase size .

If the PS3 install base had = the 360 install base then we all know which version would have sold more , according to these figures the PS3 could even sell on par with the 360 with a slightly smaller install base.

WWOthersNA
Software1.420.881.97
Hardware1.451.122.35

The above table is the ratio of 360:PS3. I think that the 360 matching the hardware ratio with the software ratio pretty much shows that the PlayStation brand equity for the GTA franchise has decreased significantly. So publishers and developers would start to look at absolute numbers rather than attach rates = ~1.5m more software sold because I developed for 360. This difference is more than the LTD of most exclusives on the PS3.

Furthermore, IMO the holiday line-up is better for 360, so this Christmas will be a neck in neck finish again (and dont expect this trend to change). Im not looking for a debate on a personal opinion, Im just saying with delays again and a reduced chance of a price cut, PS3 Christmas wont be as crazily good as some people seem to think.

The PS3 will only have a 300-400k GTA4 software lead in Japan TOPS so this is insignificant.

Around the Network

I think only Sony will care when they are to spin on NPD.

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

PooperScooper said:
Xponent said:
But by Xmas, the exclusive downloadable content will be released, which will cause a boost to the Xbox version. I think that is far more significant than the Japanese release.

There is no reason DLC will sell more systems/copies. The DLC is now targeting owners of the game. The DLC was the 360's selling point. The game sold to people who already had the systems. Now it comes down to new console owners and what they pick up with their purchase... Ps3 is winning week in and week out. Also when it is released in Japan I can see the Ps3 version outselling the 360 version by 200k (Yes it is nothing in terms of the big picture but it is still a nice number.)

Take those Sony googles off. You're dreaming if you think DLC won't cause a boost. You need to seperate what you want to occur from what is more likely to transpire in reality. If MS have any sense, they will exploit this advantage. You said yourself that DLC was the 360's selling point, yet ironically, MS hasn't really advertised DLC at all. It follows then, that they will prepare a huge marketing push to take advantage of the launch/Xmas period.

Seriously though, why on earth wouldn't they? I think you underestimate this series. It's GTA for goodness sake. It's almost guaranteed to sell extra copies purely because it's another addition to the franchise. As I stated in my earlier post, this is more significant than its release in a territory in which it always underperforms. On the contrary, NA and Others will go bonkers for anything GTA related, DLC included.

I just thought id point out that usually the higher the install base the less attach rate it has(case in point look at the ps2 attach rate). I would say that the game sold great on both consoles but MS can be more pleased simply because they did sell many more copys and seems to have the longer legs(with DLC coming to will strech those legs) and because they really kept close to sonys attachment level for this game(remember again about bigger install bas usually means smaller attach rate)

So many 360 fanboys in this thread... so little caring! lol

I find it hilarious how so many people are claiming this as a "win" for microsoft. It sold more than the PS3 version yes, but given its IMMENSE lead, especially in America where GTA is pretty much the holy grail of gaming, did it really do that well?

I think MS will claim how superior they are, but at the end of the day, I don't think things are looking too bright for the 360.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey.