By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - ON JUNE 11TH PLAYSTATION NATION IS GONNA BE SMILING WIDE....

Enough bickering, take it to PM's.

Around the Network

Buying big developers is always a really bad idea ...

For the price of Square-Enix you could probably buy 10 to 20 smaller developers who could (with proper management) make a game the quality of Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest every 18 to 24 months.

DKII said:
It isn't about the cost Blue. It's about the fact that if they bought SE, then SE would only make games for Sony platforms, and they would lose more money overall because they're structured as a multi-platform organization. It's the same reason Microsoft came out and said they wouldn't even consider buying out Take-Two.

makes some sense.

Yes Se makes game for all platforms, but they dont depand on one game being a multiplatfoem sales succes.  They usualy make console specific content dont they.

Sony already gets its fair share of SE's games. If they bought SE, they'd get, what, a few extra games per year? With SE being independent, Sony can focus its money on Sony games, new systems, and PRICE DROPS.

If Sony bought SE, you wouldn't see a price drop on your PS3 for a few years hehe.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

HappySqurriel said:

For the price of Square-Enix you could probably buy 10 to 20 smaller developers who could (with proper management) make a game the quality of Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest every 18 to 24 months.

its more about buying the franchises, then the devs.

No matter how good the game or even if its as good, it wont out sales FF or Dragons.

Around the Network

my guess is on a wii emulator. LOL sounds like something sony would do.

BenKenobi88 said:
Sony already gets its fair share of SE's games. If they bought SE, they'd get, what, a few extra games per year? With SE being independent, Sony can focus its money on Sony games, new systems, and PRICE DROPS.

If Sony bought SE, you wouldn't see a price drop on your PS3 for a few years hehe

i alreay got the console, so no skin off my back.

what i want is new Vargant Story, Crono Cross, FF7 remake, does Se own xenogears ip ?

Blue3 said:
HappySqurriel said:

No matter how good the game or even if its as good, it wont out sales FF or Dragons.

Well sorta. I mean lots of out of the blue successes show up. You can't really predict the industry. Buying small studios can be a great move though. Look at what Hal Laboratories did for Nintendo with Pokemon. Or what Retro Studios did with Metroid Prime. Nintendo are masters of purchasing the small studios. Another example would be the recent aquisition of Monolith Soft (the guys who make Xenosaga). Cheap aquisitions like this are often a much better value than buying a large 3rd party company. For example, Microsoft bought Rare, for 3.6 billion or something like that, and has barely made a penny off of them.

Blue3 said:
BenKenobi88 said:

If Sony bought SE, you wouldn't see a price drop on your PS3 for a few years hehe

i alreay got the console, so no skin off my back.

what i want is new Vargant Story, Crono Cross, FF7 remake, does Se own xenogears ip ?

Ironic thatyou mention that right before my post.  No, Nintendo now owns it.  It was sold to Monolith Soft, which then made Xenosaga, then Nintendo bought them.

naznatips said:
Blue3 said:
HappySqurriel said:

Well sorta. I mean lots of out of the blue successes show up. You can't really predict the industry. Buying small studios can be a great move though. Look at what Hal Laboratories did for Nintendo with Pokemon. Or what Retro Studios did with Metroid Prime 3. Nintendo are masters of purchasing the small studios. Another example would be the recent aquisition of Monolith Soft (the guys who make Xenosaga). Cheap aquisitions like this are often a much better value than buying a large 3rd party company. For example, Microsoft bought Rare, for 3.6 billion or something like that, and has barely made a penny off of them.

Yep, and sony has done exacly that in the past. Naughty dog, Gureilla, Media molecule (LBP)

Maybe its time to go for a big one.