By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo's Ability to Move On

Kwaad, Kwaad, Kwaad... why do you do this? With the average income of the American consumer, and the average entertainment budget of citizens in America, that means that by 2076 the rapture will have consumed 124% of all United States currency, and cured aids. This 8% differential in the growth rate of Nintendo-Dole's electronic food corporation, versus the competing Space Programs, will result in Sonintensoft/AoL/Time/Warner/Zeta-Jones being the dominant feminine hygene producer, defeating the purpose of HGTV.

R9 5950x - RTX 3090 - Odyssey G9

Around the Network

gamingdevil said: Kwaad said: A few things. http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/business/16558272.htm In a separate survey commissioned by Circuit City Stores Inc., almost twice as many consumers said they’d rather watch the Super Bowl on a high-definition TV than see it in person at the stadium where it’s being played – 48 percent to 26 percent. Circuit City’s survey also found that 51 percent of respondents said they don’t have an HDTV but want one. And 34 percent said they plan to buy one within the next year. The poll of more than 4,500 men and women was conducted by Decision Analyst Inc., an independent research firm in Arlington, Texas. that means 49% have a HDTV. and 34% more plan to buy one in the next year. Meaning by the end of 2007, that number will be 83% who have HDTV. :) Meaning before the Good Wii games come, HDTV, will be the dominant TV. At least in america. HDTV has been there in Japan for... alot longer. ;) No no no ... this means that 51% don't have one (and/or don't plan on buying one) and 34% have one... 51+34=85% so the ones that have one right now are the 15% :D
Your both wrong... Thats 51% who don't have one but want one which includes the 34% who say they are going to get one in the next year. But this does not mean that 49% have one either. First we have no idea how many other choices were given to people but even still how many people responded I don't know? I have a 52" 720p DLP TV and I hooked up xbox 360 up to it once just to see how it was then moved it back to my normal gaming screen which is a Dell computer moniter. It has Composite, S-video, VGA, and DVI inputs so I just hook it up to the VGA input and the rest of my consoles to a switch running to the composite. I think thats something a lot of people forget though just because you have an HD TV does not mean thats where the console is hooked up.

kenban's got it right. i'm sure the 34% is part of the 51% that want an HDTV. but, the other 49 percent is not only people that do have one, but also people that said they don't plan on buying one. so the percentage of people that have an HDTV is probably considerably less than 49%. also, that survey obviously only counted circuit city shoppers; i imagine if the survey was conducted in a grocery store or a gas station the numbers would be very different.

the original part of the survey:

Circuit City’s survey also found that 51 percent of respondents said they don’t have an HDTV but want one. And 34 percent said they plan to buy one within the next year. The poll of more than 4,500 men and women was conducted by Decision Analyst Inc., an independent research firm in Arlington, Texas.
I suppose i am the only one who can see the AND right there... If the 34% was a part of the 51% it would say "51% said they don't have an HDTV but want one, 34% of them said they plan to buy one within the next year" I mean come on people it's not a 10 year-old boy the one who wrote that... And "Plan" is different from getting one...

Nintendo have already stated that they expect the Wii ti have a lifespan of 4-6 years (and closer to the 4 year mark). In a lot of ways, the Wii is an experiment. Nintendo wasn't very happy with the, so they tried to do something different. I think they like the results this time around. What you will see next time, is a more complete manufacturing process - and more units out for launch. It could be hard to do, but imagine if they had stockpiled 10mill units for a *real* worldwide launch.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network

that means 49% have a HDTV. and 34% more plan to buy one in the next year. Meaning by the end of 2007, that number will be 83% who have HDTV. :) Meaning before the Good Wii games come, HDTV, will be the dominant TV. At least in america. HDTV has been there in Japan for... alot longer. ;)
You do realise that 720p counts as a HDTV don't you? My TV supports HD - and its 5 years old. Even does 1080i ;) Things might be different in Australia - but *no one* has a true, 1080p capable TV. The stores have heaps of models - and only 1 (maybe 2) do true 1080p. Its just too expensive, and not worth the cash. The Wii supports 480p - wouldn't be surprised to see the next model (Wii2) support 720p. Its just like the "optical" digital output - I remember the uproar when the PS2 supported it - but the GC didn't. Don't see people still complaining about this...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I feel 720p will become more-or-less the standard for HD. Notice what the PS3 games are optimized at. 720p. no-one? I have a 40inch Samsung 1080p. My pS3 is beautiful on it. My Wii... I'm not even going to comment. The Wii looks HORRIBLE on Digital TVs... I'll leave it at that. (I wish I had a old SDTV) (I have 2 HDTVs) The Wii is on my 26inch 720p, in the bedroom, and my PS3 is on the 40inch 1080p in the living room.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said: I feel 720p will become more-or-less the standard for HD. Notice what the PS3 games are optimized at. 720p. no-one? I have a 40inch Samsung 1080p. My pS3 is beautiful on it. My Wii... I'm not even going to comment. The Wii looks HORRIBLE on Digital TVs... I'll leave it at that. (I wish I had a old SDTV) (I have 2 HDTVs) The Wii is on my 26inch 720p, in the bedroom, and my PS3 is on the 40inch 1080p in the living room.
You should get the component cables, they make it look considerably better And so much for the PS3 being "true HD"

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

I remember hearing that a few HDTV sets have some sort of built in up-scaler that makes non-hd images look considerably better, does anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm pretty sure it's legit, I've heard it from several people on several sites, but I never heard of an official name to it or such.

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

Games in the future are possibly going to support 1080p. Some already do. As for the TV makeing the image look better. The only upscaleing that I know of, is use on DVDs, and that's on the DVD player itself. a DVD is below 480p but above 480i. You can upscale it to 480p And make it look better, and you can actually upscale it even further, and it looks even slightly better. But overall the best you can go is to 480p. (anything higher and you dont really notice a diffrence) Component? I actually wish I could add noise between my Wii and my set. It would loose some detail, and make text harder to read, but the lines wont be as jaggy. (meaning less headaches. I dont know why, but almost every game from my Wii gives me headaches... only Red Steel gives me migranes) For those of you who dont understand HDTV. 1080p is NOT recommended for any set smaller than 40inches. Why? Because unless you sit ontop of the screen, you wont be able to tell the diffrence... I can barely tell it on my 40inch. I actually wish I saved 400$ and got the 720p version of it. Coulda bought a 360 with that... >.> Or even better. a PSP. ;D And if your buying a Set bigger than 40 inches, chances are you dont care about cost, and you'll end up getting something like 70inches. Then I would HIGHLY recommend 1080p. However, the PS3's processor streamlines quite much like the PS2. So it will never be 100% optimized. and One REALLY nice thing about the CPU on the PS3... to add power... just add another Cell processor. or another... or another... or hell. Add 8 cell processors to the PS3... to 8x it's power. And it would only take a few thousand extra lines of code to use them. ;) Once nice thing about the Cell. The graphics card, is standard and can easily be HIGHLY upgraded, and yet agian, almost no diffrence for the dev company. Kinda like the GC>Wii. the Wii is already optimized. because the Wii is just a powerful Cube. (with weird controls and lots of other new features) (not bad weird, new weird) I give up on bashing the Wii. You people are like talking to my brother. AMD is so much better than Intel. Pfft. On that point. Anyone think AMD is better than intel right now? Raise your hand and try to explain why. :)

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!