By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you want future Final Fantasy games to be more "fantasy" or "techy"?

I don't care which direction the series takes as long as the games stop sucking. I liked Final Fantasy when it was a can't miss franchise. I want to be able to pick up the Final Fantasy game and know that its going to be a top notch RPG. The series has been to hit or miss lately. Whether they take a techy, Phantasy Star direction, or a more medieval, old school Final Fantasy direction, they need to make sure that the games have excellent gameplay, story, and characters.

Around the Network

that's why I mentioned crystals as being fantasy and that drives all those stuff in those medieval settings; the setting itself is not more fantasy than a futuristic setting

''Hadouken!''

no I answered him back and explained the medieval setting is not fantasy, the crystals are what has the fantasy in them..

''Hadouken!''

and also like I said, a more futuristic setting is actually more fantasy, cause medieval settings are still around in our world, just look at some poor countries and area's of our planet; they still live in medieval times.. while the SeeD headquarters, Balamb Garden (VIII), is more fiction and fantasy, cause we have never had it in our world yet.. castles and fortress and small village's with no electricity we've had enough.. and still have..

''Hadouken!''

@ Ajax this is from wikipedia

"Fantasy is a genre that uses magic and other supernatural forms as a primary element of plot, theme, and/or setting. The genre is usually associated with the overall look, feel and themes of the European Middle Ages (including architecture, dress and technology), while the actual setting is often a fictional plane or planet where magic and magical beings are commonplace.

Fantasy is generally distinguished from science fiction and horror by the expectation that it steers clear of technological and macabre themes, respectively, though there is a great deal of overlap between the three (collectively known as speculative fiction).

In its broadest sense, fantasy comprises works by many writers, artists, filmmakers, and musicians, from ancient myths and legends to many recent works embraced by a wide audience today."

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Ajax said:
and also like I said, a more futuristic setting is actually more fantasy, cause medieval settings are still around in our world, just look at some poor countries and area's of our planet; they still live in medieval times.. while the SeeD headquarters, Balamb Garden (VIII), is more fiction and fantasy, cause we have never had it in our world yet.. castles and fortress and small village's with no electricity we've had enough.. and still have..

There's a little something called 'magic' in fantasy. The techy FFs use less magic and more technology.

I'm fairly sure we don't have magic in this world otherwise I'd pwn my sister with Firaga :P

And from the definition I just posted it has to have alot of magic, and a minimum amount of technology before overlapping sci-fi. 

I understand that, just like with that Magic Card game, but that's using the word fantasy in a different way than how you find it in the dictionary, and like I told in my earlier posts, there can be as much fantasy in a tech setting as in a medieval setting

''Hadouken!''

Ajax said:
I understand that, just like with that Magic Card game, but that's using the word fantasy in a different way than how you find it in the dictionary, and like I told in my earlier posts, there can be as much fantasy in a tech setting as in a medieval setting
So when talking about a Fantasy in this case you are talking about an imagination? That wouldn't make sense because the definition I posted is for a genre of books,movies,VIDEO GAMES,etc. Anything form of entertainment with a story. If we follow the dictionary's definition everything made up is fantasy.

so I see it as medieval versus tech; and they both have their fantasy characteristics, eventhough you use that definition you posted and use it, and I can understand why, but I wouldn't do it..

''Hadouken!''

@Soriku

lol @ Shiva

I think there must be some reason....that won't be her only form

if you remember I think in FF8 some of the summons had different forms..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey