By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 to have 90 minute long cutscenes?

Imagine watching 85 minutes of a cutscene and then the console freezes.

Good fun. :p

Around the Network
Riachu said:
HappySqurriel said:

To me, telling a story in a videogame using cutscenes is like a movie which displays text to tell a story ... It is acceptable in small doses but if used excessively it begs the question "Why did you choos this medium to tell your story?"

For those people who love Metal Gear Solid games this is probably an acceptable/good thing, but for the rest of us who want to press those pesky buttons and interact with the world this is just amazingly dumb.

Maybe I'm alone but I feel that long cutscenes are 'so 90s' ... After Half-Life demonstrated that you could create a game with a cinematic feel in 1998 without the use of a single cutscene, and so many developers have taken this to the next level, it feels like a massive cop-out to have long cut scenes in a game in order to tell your story.

MGS is a Japanese developed game and according to an interview I read on gamasutra.com, the japanese are behind Americans in terms of game development so that pretty much explains why they still use cutscenes.

Saying this is like saying books are "behind" compared to movies.  One is not strictly better than the other as you can do things in each medium you can't in the other.  It just comes down to personal preference which you prefer.

O.o

90 minutes? Well, this ought to be interesting.

If that's the case, I hope that Hideo wisens up and allows compatibility with the 360's Scene It? controllers. With the power of Scene it? at my finger tips, there could be some good shenanigans that ensue. Cause you know how I love those shenanigans.

I cant remember but did the previous MGS games allow you to replay the cutscene after you saw it the first time? (Like Heavenly Sword does).

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

I can barely stand most Pixar movies which have the most talented animation artists, world class voice talent, and top notch music tracks. But 90 minutes of wooden animation and b-grade voice actors, sounds quite boring at least for myself.

Around the Network

@Friedtofu: Yes in MGS3 you could see al the cutscenes again once you saw it in the movie theater.

Btw I don't understand why you guys are complaining, this is just great news!! As longs as the story is interesting I don't mind a cutscene, btw MGS3 also had cutscenes from an hour sometimes :)

Darc Requiem said:
Okay, that settles it. Kojima just needs to go off and make movies and or TV programs. Games are to be played not watched. Can this really be true? I mean one 90 minute cutscene is inexcusable. More than one is criminal. I really hope this is some sort of exaggeration.

I agree. I play games to play games. I skip cutscenes when they are over a couple minutes long. Cutscenes 9-minutes in length are way too much. Even if they are interactive cutscenes its too much. 90-minutes for one cut scene, if true, f*ck that.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Riachu said:
HappySqurriel said:

To me, telling a story in a videogame using cutscenes is like a movie which displays text to tell a story ... It is acceptable in small doses but if used excessively it begs the question "Why did you choos this medium to tell your story?"

For those people who love Metal Gear Solid games this is probably an acceptable/good thing, but for the rest of us who want to press those pesky buttons and interact with the world this is just amazingly dumb.

Maybe I'm alone but I feel that long cutscenes are 'so 90s' ... After Half-Life demonstrated that you could create a game with a cinematic feel in 1998 without the use of a single cutscene, and so many developers have taken this to the next level, it feels like a massive cop-out to have long cut scenes in a game in order to tell your story.

MGS is a Japanese developed game and according to an interview I read on gamasutra.com, the japanese are behind Americans in terms of game development so that pretty much explains why they still use cutscenes.

Saying this is like saying books are "behind" compared to movies. One is not strictly better than the other as you can do things in each medium you can't in the other. It just comes down to personal preference which you prefer.

one medium is not better than the other, but mixing them can cause disaster. Really, would you want to watch a 90min movie, only to find out 30min of those is just a dark screen with some text?  That's one of the reasons interactive movies died so quickly.

shio said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Riachu said:
HappySqurriel said:

Saying this is like saying books are "behind" compared to movies. One is not strictly better than the other as you can do things in each medium you can't in the other. It just comes down to personal preference which you prefer.

one medium is not better than the other, but mixing them can cause disaster. Really, would you want to watch a 90min movie, only to find out 30min of those is just a dark screen with some text? That's one of the reasons interactive movies died so quickly.

Read what my post was responding to.

I wasn't responding to the fact that the cutscenes are extremely long, but the artistic style of using cutscenes in the first place (perceived as American/Western vs Japanese for some stupid reason).

If you want to argue about the positives and negatives of extremely long cutscenes or what would make for "good" cutscene use versus "bad" cutscene use, good for you. That's not what my post was about though.

So I was on the fence on this game a few weeks ago. When I heard it was 21 hours gameplay, 9 hours cinematics, I made up my mind not to buy it. Now that I've heard this I'm glad I decided on no.